Civ5: Colonization? And what would you suggest?

Would you buy C5C if it were made?

• Definitely not.

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Probably not, unless they improved it significantly.

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Maybe so. It depends on a number of things.

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • Probably, unless they changed things for the worse.

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Definitely so.

Votes: 12 32.4%

• Total voters

thelibra

Future World Dictator
So now that Civ5 is coming out, and the old Colonization has been more or less faithfully recreated using the original as a template, it's time to talk about playability, and whether or not future versions would be wanted.

Personally, I'd love to see a new version of Colonization, but I'd like the devs to now go in the direction they did with Civilization, instead of staying with the original as canon, changes were made, experimented with, and they took the players' advice on the forums to make the game more enjoyable. I'd like to see several playability and functionality improvements in C5C if it ever comes out:

* Hex Map, more realistic for movement.
* Natives as a playable option.
* Closer realism to historical advantages and disadvantages: (eg. the French would never have sent Indentured Servants or Criminals, they actually had pretty strict standards on who they would allow over, because they feared that too many undisciplined people might favor revolution one day...fancy that...)
* Larger land-masses with more careful weight on terrain generation. Too many maps on Colonization are completely unplayable compared to merely "bad starts" on Civilization.
* Carribean maps need larger islands capable of housing a settlement plus 5 tiles. As it stands, most Carribean islands, even on Huge, have only 1 or two land tiles, which makes them basically unplayable.

I'm sure someone, somewhere will make a colonization mod for civ5.

I kinda hope they do not. It's too easy. People make it harder than it is with their 10 cities and 40 hour games. To me it's a little like Tic-Tac-Toe, and everyone's trying to support some metaphysical existence or 7th, 8th and 9th dimensions to the X's and O's.

I kinda hope they do not. It's too easy. People make it harder than it is with their 10 cities and 40 hour games. To me it's a little like Tic-Tac-Toe, and everyone's trying to support some metaphysical existence or 7th, 8th and 9th dimensions to the X's and O's.

Your saying the game is a simple one of out-battling your opponent in a big tic-tac-toe, that additional gameplay elements are merely pasted onto this base of play? Maybe instead of adding on new layers of complexity the base layer should be improved...

I havnt played this colonization game, but i guess this sentiment extends to all similar civ games...that some people want to re-enact these events or put themselves in a historical scenario to roleplay, or building those ten cities appeals to their instinctive desire to obtain territory(as some speculate as being the popularity for board games, anyway)

<--intrigued

This game's not enough fun if you're just going for the easy win. It's not a hard game to beat if all you care about is taking advantage of the structure of the game and finishing quickly. Playing this game more sloppily in the earlier part of the game both makes that section more fun, and it makes the endgame against the REF way more challenging.

I believe Malkaviel is referring to MP but i could be mistaken

It's a new enigine so they still may need to work out the kinks. A C6C i would definataly buy.

Top Bottom