CIV5 expansion and War complaints. *rant*

I believe the penalties from warmongering are due to the fact in BNW you get a MAJOR advantage for owning many cities, since the AI doesn't runaway as much as it used to (few exceptions, i.e. Shaka).
When I catch my 7th or 8th city, I'm usually top score by far; this wasn't really true in GK, since AI expanded much sooner and faster.

Hell, my last game I had a 4-city NC start and I was topping the list already.

What really annoys me is all of the friendship spam in the later game. I click on global politics and each leader is covered with reams of green text listing all their friends.

For a brief while, the 2 autocracy civs in my 20 civ game were doing a lot of denouncing and getting denounced a lot, but then they had revolutions and flipped to order and now they are friends with everyone too. It's a huge communist lovefest. My last game was like this too.

It feels like my little pony sometimes or something. It's ridiculous.

What really annoys me is all of the friendship spam in the later game. I click on global politics and each leader is covered with reams of green text listing all their friends.

For a brief while, the 2 autocracy civs in my 20 civ game were doing a lot of denouncing and getting denounced a lot, but then they had revolutions and flipped to order and now they are friends with everyone too. It's a huge communist lovefest. My last game was like this too.

It feels like my little pony sometimes or something. It's ridiculous.

You should jump into one of my games sometimes, that pony of yours would have been slaughtered long ago :)

Hm I haven't ran into these problems on a couple games so far with BNW emp difficulty, its felt like there's been a lot of vying for territory for the whole time, both games were random maps that ended up being continents. I managed to conquer the majority of my continent before Renaissance (both times the AI attacked me first, defended the attack then counter-attacked with the GG generated) on the first game then took a cultural route and finished up with a science victory. Yup, science victory with early expansion and conquest on a 5+ difficulty.. and it was quite fun. To me this was very different than being pigeonholed into a victory type early on in G&K based on ancient/classical choices and a welcome change.

The second one in progress I'm hoping to try a more diplomatic approach with the new world council/UN mechanics to test them out, I'm playing more of a peacekeeper and helping defend against conquest, have been friends and denounced both by just about everyone so far lol.

Both times the AI was warring like crazy on the other continent and was sending out colonists/archaeologists to outlying islands and the naval warfare has been GREAT.

I think the focus has been shifted (or maybe more evenly spread out is more accurate) to late game for expansion/epic conquest with a lot of the BNW mechanics, but its quite possible to wage early wars and build out if you keep your cities micromanaged to stay small and mix units with infrastructure. You just have to be willing to run a deficit and have some unhappiness in your early civ until you catch up with your own expansion. Historically the civs that tried to keep expanding without slowing down once in a while to let their economy catch up have failed, and I think BNW does a good job of mimicking that phenomenon.

Yeah, and in Civ4 it took 800 years to learn how to catch a fish. Different games are different. This one punishes reckless horizontal expansion. Read and watch the good players do conquest victories before shouting about how impossible everything is.
</thread>

As someone who's been (and remains) very critical of the global happiness mechanic and the level at which it's set in BNW, I'd love to see a youtube vid illustrating these things and learn accordingly. Could you therefore share a few youtube links that illustrate how horizontal expansion (leading to conquest) is viable in BNW? I ask by the way because the youtubers I watch like Quill18 and MadDjinn are currently LPing Venice (which is stuck on one city until it uses its UA) and another youtuber named Marbozir's been struggling almost endlessly for happiness with an empire of only eight cities (which I understand is good in BNW) by turn 234.

In a similar vein, if anyone else out there happens to know of an LP which illustrates how to REx in BNW I'd love to see it. :)

Yes, it's true that perhaps the DoF requirement for gold trading might be a lazy fix, the "I don't know how to fix this so I just lock it out" kind.
But the other things are ok (albeit still in need of some tweaking, which will come with patches).

I would argue DoF requirement is not a lazy fix; it's a patch on a human exploit.

In the early game, it's not hard to get extra happiness burning a hole in the bank leading to an early GA.

A way to moderate this is to immediately trade away your own copy of a lux to a neighbour for 240 gold or gpt or something; usually lump sum though as AI doesn't have much GPT that early even pre-BNW.

So human players can amass a large fortune just doing this every 30 turns, selling all their Lux (usually 3-4) from their capital to other AI.

It was likely deemed and exploit and fixed.

Top Bottom