Civ5 GameSpeed help? And what speed do YOU prefer?

TheGermanGuy

Chieftain
Hello, i'm curious on what you guys think. I'm a Standard player, but i'm trying to switch from standard to epic. I don't like how fast the games go, and i hate how obsilite the unites get SO FAST. My issue is, the games feel so empty. Can anyone give me tips to getting used to slower game speeds, why they are better, and what one YOU prefer? I'm curious as to what you guys think, and i would like some help. Thanks!

Also, what game speed are better for what game victories? For example, is epic good for culture victory?

Domination is a little stronger on slower speeds as you have more time (comparatively) for your Units to act/heal/etc.

Other than that, I like playing on Epic. Marathon is a bit slow for me, but Standard obsoletes some ua's for me too quickly.

Quick is waay to quick to do anything, I like Standard and occasionally Epic. Marathon is too long for me. Standard (and above) let's your population grow a lot bigger than it usually does on epic. I also don't like obsolete units every 5 turns.

I find that my preferred speed is tied to map size.
On standard size map, I much prefer standard speed, but on larger maps, I prefer slower speed.

I prefer marathon, because u get the most out of the game, micromanaging a lot, but I rarely have time for it. Epic might be good, if u got the time, go ahead :)

I used to play exclusively on Marathon on Huge maps, but found it got too boring and I was quitting half way through because the game didn't feel balanced enough.

You run out of exploration options too quickly, units and buildings take way too long to build etc etc

I personally find they just chucked marathon into the game to make it feel more epic by just adding more turns and forgot to worry about actually make the game work at that speed.

I have recently been enjoying myself more on standard on small maps as it feels much more balance and like what the game was made for.

In the end it comes down to personal preference. My personal preferences are Standard Map size, with marathon speed. I like that units have a good while to remain revelant until you discover the techs before they become obsolete. When you can research two upgrades ahead before you get the gold to properly upgrade your units, the game is too fast.

Granted, some folks who prefer more peaceful ways of victory might prefer faster speeds. And on flip side of that,
Warmongers might prefer the slower speeds. I tend towards all the victory condition types. So when I pursue one of the peaceful VCs, I prefer the computer to make me work for it. Just my own 2 Cents.

I always played the slowest game speed possible in civ 1-4. Unfortunately, marathon in c5 is not only dragging like a worm in molasses, but it's also direly imbalanced. c5 was evidently meant to be played on standard maps with standard speed, but I still prefer epic games on large maps. Standard is too hectic, quick is just silly.

The AI is better at Standard. If you dont mind mods, i suggest getting SloMo science 50 and play the game at standard speed. It uses epic speed science but everything else remains standard.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I play Marathon on huge maps. It's laggy and there's a pretty fair amount of "Next Turn" pressing, but it's still the most immersive experience possible.

I play Marathon on huge maps. It's laggy and there's a pretty fair amount of "Next Turn" pressing, but it's still the most immersive experience possible.

I agree.

For my machine and it is probably due to the specs, it is getting a little dated, it is real laggy in turns 800-900+. Even worse during wars

I play rebalanced epic (MOD) on any map size / difficulty combination. I like the feeling of a "bigger" game.

I used to play marathon all the time in Vanilla but the expansions added more and more to build so the early game drags terribly now on marathon and even on epic. I've moved back to standard and find I enjoy it more. It's the speed a lot of strategies are based on too so the advice and information on the forums is a lot more relevant to standard speed.

If I'm playing with mods there's one that changes unit production to quick on any speed but leaves everything else (including settlers) the normal speed for that setting. It's fun to play marathon and epic with that mod since there's enough units on the map to make stuff to do while building all the buildings. Lots of early bloody wars too.

Top Bottom