Civil disorder in a content city

Pentium

Digital Matter
2 trades including 3 luxuries were negotiated in an interturn. Then, when my turn came, most of my cities fell into civil disorder. I checked them, and they have the same amount of happy and unhappy citizens, meaning they shouldn't riot. It didn't happen to cities with more happy than unhappy faces, so I guess the calculator missed 1 lux/happy face.

Just for the fun of it, I clicked "Give them some entertainment" in one of the cities, and it indeed put a entertainer in a content city.

An interesting fact is that production is all corrupted, like in riot, while commerce is not. It's OK, since I'm playing with no military, but it would hurt an AW game severely.

Here's a screenie:

Attachments

• Strange disorder.JPG
    Strange disorder.JPG
    180.8 KB · Views: 228
Well, it wouldn't happen in an AW game (I've only seen this when negotiating luxury deals in the interturn). Commerce is always collected in a rioting city (since commerce is calculated before happiness).

My guess would be that it doesn't properly update the happiness until the next turn for some reason (similar to how your cities won't change until you alter the slider).

Edit: This was three days old? Shows how often I look at this subforum.

I've had this situation before as well, but it was quite a while back so my memory is sketchy. What I think happened in my case was that I was at war and war weariness set in. I forgot to do anything about it in the first turn, then negotiated for some luxuries in the interturn. This should have been easily enough to get the citizen stable again, but I had several cities go into disorder, none of which when I looked had more unhappy than happy (in fact in the Cities where I had marketplaces they were much more happy than not). What I guessed must have happened was that the disorder calulation must have already taken place by the point in the IBT that I got the extra luxes, so the riot flag must have been already set when I made the lux deal resulting in a riot with apparently happy citizens.

Lux deals in the IBT seems to be a common factor here.

Yeah, commerce is always calculated, I forgot that.

Lesson: Don't trade in the IT. Not only techs, luxes too.

Top Bottom