Civilization V: Brave New World Official Strategy Guide by BradyGames

Probably just another way of snatching money from oblivious people... Who would spend 15 dollars on info you can get for free on the internet? It's like buying a book with all info from Wikipedia combined. Plus it's only from one guys perspective, on this forum each person has a different opinion on strategies

Probably just another way of snatching money from oblivious people... Who would spend 15 dollars on info you can get for free on the internet? It's like buying a book with all info from Wikipedia combined. Plus it's only from one guys perspective, on this forum each person has a different opinion on strategies

You can totally buy books of Wikipedia articles! They offer the same benefits that a printed guide offers:

1. You don't need to be at the computer to read them.
2. You can read them while you play without tabbing out or having a second monitor.
3. You can easily make notes on them.

A printed guide also offers these benefits:

1. It's available right now. How many Internet-based guides are ready now? Right, zero.
2. Lots of pretty artwork.

We all had this debate on the G&K board, too. There's really no need to repeat it. Some players like game guides and others don't. To each his own.

EDIT: And, yes, you can also print Internet-based guides and get the first three benefits. You'll probably spend $5.00 on the paper and ink to do it (black and white) or a fair bit more if you do it in color. I realize now that the linked guide is only an e-guide and not an actual book, which is too bad. The G&K guide looked nice in the store and I was hoping that I'd get to see a BNW one, too.

Don't forget these additional benefits:

1) It was written about a month ago, and isn't up to date

2) It will continue to become more and more out of date as patches are made

3)Brady Games manuals are usually full of errors.

:p No thanks.

1&2. Eh, lots of Brady Games guides get updates after patches. It's even easier with an e-guide like this one.
3. Yeah, Brady isn't the best. Sadly, 2k seems to like them.

Of course, all three of those apply to Internet-based guides, too. Look at how outdated the War Academy is. :p

The last time I visited the War Academy must be over a year ago lol... :p
But the Strategy and Tips forum is really nice when looking for a discussion on strategies/seeing how other people deal with a situation. I don't think that book will offer you that.

Well, no, this particular guide won't offer you that. I've seen others that were written by multiple authors to give multiple perspectives on different topics, though. Some game guides are actually very good! They don't tend to be Brady Games guides, though.

When I buy a book, it's usually for things like item lists, bestiaries, maps, and other things that just work much better with color and graphics. I also very much enjoy the artwork in most guides. Reading a guide to spoil the game play, though, doesn't make much sense to me. If I'm not developing my own strategies for BNW, then what am I really doing?

Shame they don't have a hardcopy version of this. Really miss the old game manuals, so I bought the guide of the base Civ V game as a "replacement". I really would like a hardcopy of the tech tree.

Shame they don't have a hardcopy version of this. Really miss the old game manuals, so I bought the guide of the base Civ V game as a "replacement". I really would like a hardcopy of the tech tree.

Many PC game developers assume that players have a printer to print off the digital manuals (as they are PDF files).

I'd like to buy this but it annoys the out of me that BradyGames won't allow non-US citizens download their eGuides. I can only get the paperback books in the UK.

Don't forget these additional benefits:

1) It was written about a month ago, and isn't up to date

2) It will continue to become more and more out of date as patches are made

3) Brady Games manuals are usually full of errors.

:p No thanks.

My first reaction. These guides became obsolete over a decade ago, I can't believe they're still making them and that people are still buying them.

I picked up the Civ 5 game guide since it was a new chapter in Civ. The guide gives you a great overview of the game and you have it now in your hands. But yes...having BNW and the new scramble map packs etc. the guide book would be very outdated and would just provide the basics and even some of the basic might be completely changed.

The game guide serves a purpose for a lot of people out there.

Brew God

Top Bottom