Civilization's City Name Thread

I hope you don't mind if I still am a bit confused...

My parents travel a lot for their jobs, which explains why I'm in Lima. My grandparents (on my dad's side) ended up in Chicago, as did my grandparents on my mom's side. My mom's parents were military, and she and my dad ended up in UVA.

A compiled list of traditional Samoan village names that can be used for the Polynesian Civilization:

* Afega
* Alafua
* Alamagoto
* Amaile
* Aopo
* Apai
* Apolima Tai
* Apolima Uta
* Asau
* Auala
* A'ufaga
* Aele
* Elisefou
* Faiaai
* Faatoia
* Faga
* Fagali'i
* Fagaloa
* Fagamalo
* Falealili
* Falealupo
* Faleasiu
* Faleatiu
* Falefa
* Falelatai
* Falelima
* Fale'olo
* Faleseela
* Faletagaloa
* Faleu
* Falevao
* Faleapuna
* Fasito'otai
* Fasito'iuta
* Fatausi
* Foailuga
* Fogapoa
* Fogatuli
* Fuailoloo
* Fusi
* Gataivai
* Iva
* Lalomauga
* Lago
* Lalomalava
* Lalomanu
* Laulii
* Leauva'a
* Lefaga
* Lepa
* Letogo
* Leiifiifi
* Leufisa
* Leulumoega
* Leulumoega Fou
* Lotofaga
* Luatuanu'u
* Lufilufi
* Magiagi
* Malifa
* Malua
* Manase
* Manono
* Matautu
* Matafa'a
* Moata'a
* Moamoa
* Mutiatele

* Mulinu'u
* Musumusu
* Neiafu
* Nofoali'i
* Palauli
* Patamea
* Poutasi
* Pesega
* Safotu
* Safotulafai
* Safune
* Sagone
* Salailua
* Salamumu
* Salani
* Saleamua
* Saleaula
* Saleimoa
* Salelologa
* Salua
* Samatau
* Samusu
* Saoluafata
* Sapunaoa
* Sapo'e
* Satalo
* Sataoa
* Satapuala
* Sataua
* Sato'alepai
* Satupa'itea
* Satuimalufilufi
* Savalalo
* Savaia
* Siuniu
* Siumu
* Sogi
* Solosolo
* Tafatafa
* Tafua
* Tafaigata
* Tafitoala
* Tafuna
* Taga
* Tanugamanono
* Tuana'i
* Tufulele
* Uafato
* Utualii
* Vaiala
* Vailima
* Vailoa
* Vailu'utai
* Vaimoso
* Vaisala
* Vaisigano
* Vaiee
* Vaito'omuli
* Vaitele
* Vaiusu
* Vaivase Tai
* Vaivase Uta
* Vavau
* Vailele
* Vaipu'a
* Vaoala
* Ulutogia
* Utuali'i
* Vaitogi
* Aasufou
* Nua ma Se'etaga

@ vBear: I have no problem adding those names to the lists, although if I were to do that I might want to at least add more "normal" names to the lists.

@ NubianMerc': As far as NM's Samoan list, there are two issues I have with it. The first is that you seem to be focusing on Samoan names, what about other Polynesians? And also, look how long it is, it is almost too long.

But having said all of that, I am very appreciative of you guys going out and looking this stuff up, or even taking the time to post it. Thanks a lot. :goodjob:

To contribute to Polynesia, there's one city on the easternmost point of the Polynesian triangle: Hanga Roa, the capitol of Rapa Nui (Easter Island). I guess it's kind of worth including, but any of the cities in French Polynesia, Samoa/American Samoa, Hawai'i Micronesia, Fiji, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, and where ever I'm forgetting work, too. Thing is, I think the majority of cities in Polynesia amount to villages in Western terms. Only the capitols of actual countries are metropolises, if even that (save for Honolulu). Hanga Roa, for example, is really only a fishing village.

Another name on the end of the viking list could be this. It's a real city and not to wierd

To contribute to Polynesia, there's one city on the easternmost point of the Polynesian triangle: Hanga Roa, the capitol of Rapa Nui (Easter Island). I guess it's kind of worth including, but any of the cities in French Polynesia, Samoa/American Samoa, Hawai'i Micronesia, Fiji, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, and where ever I'm forgetting work, too. Thing is, I think the majority of cities in Polynesia amount to villages in Western terms. Only the capitols of actual countries are metropolises, if even that (save for Honolulu). Hanga Roa, for example, is really only a fishing village.

Yeah I know that, Hanga Roa is actually already in the list.

The city list for Australia has all sorts of wrong with it...

It's been taken direct from a wikipedia article that lists towns by population with little or no consideration to cultural, economic/commercial, strategic and historic significance... and I'm pretty sure in a lot of cases, it's not even correct...

For a start, the list needs all State and Territory Capitals to be listed first... i.e. Canberra, Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, Hobart, Darwin. Mandurah is a frickin set of suburbs for crying out loud. Geraldton isn't much more than a beachside town and needs to be replaced with Fremantle which is a commercial hub and port which has been economically and militarily significant through 200 years and 2 world wars, plus Korea, Vietnam, Malaya, Iraq and Afghanistan.

There are some pretty questionable Eastern States country towns in their as well. Try asking anyone outside of QLD is Cairns is significant with a straight face...

More than happy to help compile a different list Capo if you'd like the help...

By all means, write up a list. :goodjob:

The majority of the early modular civs I made were created by pretty much ripping off Civ Gold and adding flavored units. So for the most part they are directly from that mod, which I believe was ripped from Wikipedia or a similar site (as you have pointed out), so I would say the overwhelming majority of my module packs probably need to be updated.

No worries mate, sent that list through to you via PM ;)

Just to revive this old thread... any civs you need a list for? I can create some if you want me to...

Top Bottom