Clock Time

Flying Pig

Utrinque Paratus
Retired Moderator
How much do you guys value having an advantage on the clock? I know that it varies based on maximum time and the actual amount, but it's probably worth a bit in an equal position.

Asw long as I move as soon as I notice I have a game to play in, I don't worry about the time I have left.

The clock can be very important in OTB and live play. An opponent who is very short on time may settle for a less than perfect move, or even crack under the pressure. A lot of the mistakes in master play are caused by time pressure, maybe even most of them.

That's why I try to avoid blitz games in Live Chess.

How much do you guys value having an advantage on the clock? I know that it varies based on maximum time and the actual amount, but it's probably worth a bit in an equal position.

If it amounts to the opponent being in time trouble, it's precious. If the difference is not significant, then it's nice to have. But in any case, finding and playing the best possible moves is all that matters. I once lost OTB to an opponent who spent ages thinking, but he won the game with about 2 minutes to spare and my extra 45 minutes counted for nothing.

It depends on the features of the position.
If strategical deatures prevail, I don't need so much time, since I just have to follow the right plan. But having to defend correctly against a virulent but not necessarily correct attack when exact calculation is needed, then every minute is precious.

Frequently the "real life" chess clubs I used to play at had time limits of game/30, so clock time definitely becomes a factor. I recall I almost always used more time than anyone else, whether I had 500 ratings points more than them or they had that on me.

Back then I valued better moves over more time, but back then I could snap out reasonable moves when in time trouble anyway. Many times, they'd get flustered and try to match my speed in order to prevent me thinking on their time, but it worked against 'em: they were voluntarily playing as if they were in time trouble.

As I recall for 5 min/games or faster 1 min/games, time definitely assumes a prominent role. At that point, I'd just blast out moves because 30 secs was a lifetime...

Top Bottom