Coordinating a quick play session?

DaveShack

Inventor
Retired Moderator
It might make sense in a couple of turns to get a turnplayer from each team online at the same time, so we can bang out some turns. This is of course optional, if some team wants to take their time there's no reason we should force them to go faster. But if it all works out and we can all plan some number of advance turns then some of the less interesting turns may pass a little faster.

Please discuss it among yourselves. If your team is interested, figure out what days and hours of the day your turnplayer(s) can cover. It will help if you post in GMT or include your time zone offsets. If we all agree on a date/time, then perhaps we can buzz through some turns up to the point that someone hits something their team needs to weigh in on.

Sounds like a very good idea to me. Speaking for myself (as the turn player for Team Saturn), I'm available pretty much anytime during weekdays. I can also be available for some of the weekends. I'm probably the most flexible of anyone, so it'd be best if other people with more restrictive schedules post their availability times. :)

Moving early scout or warrior can be done without democratic decisions. However, the maximum number of turns per quick session should be defined beforehand. I could see first desicion point when first research/production is ready. So I suggest that first quick session wouldn't last more than 5 turns.

Moving early scout or warrior can be done without democratic decisions. However, the maximum number of turns per quick session should be defined beforehand. I could see first desicion point when first research/production is ready. So I suggest that first quick session wouldn't last more than 5 turns.
There's probably no need to pre-define a limit of playable turns. These sessions (if we have them) will naturally end when one team decides that they want to discuss something anyway. I wouldn't expect that they'll last for much more than 5-10 turns anyway, so there's no need to impose an external limit on them. ;)

First we must make the start and then we can discuss a faster turn schedule. Not the other way. We play a DG. There is a reason for not playing simul.

I don't think that an online play fits this game....it could be done for the first 5-6 moves after all teams have settled...but is it worth it for only 5-6 moves?

I don't think that an online play fits this game....it could be done for the first 5-6 moves after all teams have settled...but is it worth it for only 5-6 moves?
I can see that this would work for the first few dozen turns, when there is only one explorer and perhaps a worker. Obviously we don't want to remove the "Democracy" from Democracy Game, and I certainly am not advocating that.

But I think most people would agree that it's nice to get past the relatively uninteresting first turns quickly. That way all of the teams get to the more interesting stuff sooner - rather than simply continuous discussions of "should we send the warrior/scout NE or SE this turn?". ;) ).

Certainly, speaking for Team Saturn, we have a pretty decent idea of our gameplan for the first 20 turns, and a rough idea for the later 40-50 turns. There may be minor adjustments needed depending on resources discovered, but there shouldn't be anything major to be changed. Thus we could certainly manage quick play sessions quite easily, sacrificing practically nothing of the team/democracy aspect.

Moving the scout/worker correct the early turns can make quite some impact. I don't how online sessions are doable without having at least a majority of the team online(though that is certainly possible in our case at least).

Moving the scout/worker correct the early turns can make quite some impact. I don't how online sessions are doable without having at least a majority of the team online(though that is certainly possible in our case at least).
I don't see how the scout moves have much of an impact, nor how a team discussion would "improve" scout moves.

As for workers, certainly you need to have a good strategy. But surely you can plan ahead for the optimal Worker moves (eg pasture on Pigs, hook up Gold, chop forests, build cottages)? For instance, our team has already planned most of our early worker moves ahead of time, which will probably be subject to only minor changes (if any).

The Mad Scientist would only cooperate in an online session if the majority of our team is able to join in the decisions the turnplayer must make every turn.

:nono: Explorer moves are important - or at least ours are :smug:

While I seriously doubt that we will get the first 20 turns done in one evening, it would probably be possible to get this game running faster than 1 turns every 4 days, depending on the time zones of the turn players.

It will go faster - it will go as fast as people play the save. As soon as Team 1 plays, the game is available for Team 2 to play. But Team 2 won't know that unless they happen to log in, or unless Team 1 posts in the turn tracker ;)

Who get the mesage from civstats?
In simul PB every player get a messaage with turn start.
In sequel I think every team get a message, when their turn start. So you need not to post here.

Who get the mesage from civstats?
In simul PB every player get a messaage with turn start.
In sequel I think every team get a message, when their turn start. So you need not to post here.

No, this is what was just discussed, the way civstats it programmed people just get a message from civstats when the turn starts and not when their turn starts... If daveshak entered his email info into the game directly it would be possible to get notifications whenever a new turn started directly from the game however.

I agree that turns should not be "hurried". I have no problems with other teams letting their TP make these crucial early decision, but I claim the right to spend as long as we have to discuss among our team if we needs to. If you (team Saturn or any others) are of the impression that early moves are not important or can be planned beforehand, you are more than welcome to play your turns as fast as possible, but forcing all the teams to rush their decisions is definately not a good idea in my opinion.

Having the majority of the team online or on messenger helps ofcourse, so if that is possible it would be a good solution.

If you (team Saturn or any others) are of the impression that early moves are not important or can be planned beforehand, you are more than welcome to play your turns as fast as possible, but forcing all the teams to rush their decisions is definately not a good idea in my opinion.

There's probably no need to pre-define a limit of playable turns. These sessions (if we have them) will naturally end when one team decides that they want to discuss something anyway. I wouldn't expect that they'll last for much more than 5-10 turns anyway, so there's no need to impose an external limit on them. ;)

As noted before, there's no forcing involved. I see no harm in coordination, the only question is how effective it will be. I see no reason not to try.

As noted before, there's no forcing involved. I see no harm in coordination, the only question is how effective it will be. I see no reason not to try.
I really do agree, my team at least seems quite methodical, and while we shouldn't take to long at all when it's our turn, I don't think we'll be able to exactly race through things.

Top Bottom