Cottage graphics

How do you feel about the cottage graphics?

• Change cottage graphics

Votes: 26 47.3%
  • Keep cottage graphics

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • No opinion

Votes: 18 32.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Trading posts look ugly (not graphic wise, just how detached they feel). Would've settled for suburb improvement that melted neatly into adjacent hexes like farms do with other farms.

But what is a trading post in the context of our world? Is there any precedent for having a city in, say, the 20th century surrounded by "trading posts"? They're absolutely immersion breaking, to the point I actively avoid building them even if they would be strategically viable.

Immersion breaking?

You're playing a video game in which several civilizations all figure that they'll settle down at exactly the same time on an otherwise unpopulated world, and proceed to deal with each other through a completely arbitrary and otherwise unenforced ruleset, while dealing with magically spawning enemy units (barbarians) who, incidentally, are the only people who show up on the planet outside of the main cities and city states, and which the goal of the entirety of history include building a spaceship, or getting a lot of people to visit your country (tourism). . . and you're concerned about how immersion breaking the look of a trading post is.

Here I thought the 500 ft. soldiers would generally do that.
yowza.

EDIT: I don't think that trading posts were ever really expected to be built en masse, except possibly in jungles with the massive science boost you can get per tile. When you weigh them versus a farm or mine they're certainly not an obvious choice for a good portion of the game (Farms have high potential to give 2 or more food if build near fresh water, or with the proper sciences, and after chemistry mines and manufactories get upgraded too, it's not until, what, banking or electricity that trading posts get bumped up. . to 2 gold.

I think farms, moai and maybe some other unique improvements look good, but lumber mills, mines and trade posts don't look very good. They made them very big so they're easy to distinguish, but it ends up looking... not so great IMO.

I do miss the cottages/hamlets/villages/towns from Civ IV, and the Trading Posts are definitely ugly. Too late to do anything about it now though... maybe in Civ VI.

Oh great, now we get "immersion" word brought up here too. :)

pilot00: that was from 3 months ago; I can't be held accountable for everything I said back then. ;)

I think farms, moai and maybe some other unique improvements look good, but lumber mills, mines and trade posts don't look very good. They made them very big so they're easy to distinguish, but it ends up looking... not so great IMO.

Eh, I haven't seen a good looking mine in the real world. :p

The Brazillian woodcamp sems strange if you are still allowed to build trading posts in jungle and forests. I hope they will remove it and replace it with cottages that can be only placed on grasslands, and plains and perhaps flood plains.
The BWs seem to go up twice as fast as TPs. I think twice the jungle can be covered with them.

Top Bottom