Countering Magic

Calbrenar

Prince
I play a lot of 2 player games with lots of AI. My friend invariably uses Amurites. So I'm usually facing 7 + archmages who can cast meteor.

This is easy enough to counter as Sheim since I just drown him in hordes of balors, pit beasts, and fire elementals but I'm having issues as other factions. So far my most successful strategy has been denying strategic resources to him (we play creation so no balanced) I spend a ton of gold/resources trading the ai fo rall of their reagents so that he can't get a hold of them. Sooner or later he's going to march across the sea (OO) and pick up the barbarian island. There's not much I can do about it short of declaring war now.

I'm playing as Svaltafar and I have Kithya, Baron and Al. I've been trying to make lots of Assassins but we play simultaneous turns so not sure how well that will work out.

Assassins can't be seen without hawks right?

Is there anything I can tech up to that wil crush him? I have a pretty damn comfortable lead with all of my cities and balseraphs surrounded in forest--most of which is ancient and cottaged/mined + my cap has City of 1K slums and I'm just churning stuff out.

Maybe going for AV and their magic immune hero?

I founded FoL + CoE + AV just in case I needed to switch.

how much XP are your guys getting when created?

start in FoL , build an army of scouts with the woodsman 2 promotion. this gives a good bonus on attack and defense in forest. you should get a +2 combat strength bonus on them (sinister and poison blade). sadly they removed forest stealth or i would recommend getting that as well.

Next swap to CoE and convert all those scouts to calvary. move 5 raiders with double move in forest and a high bonus in forest means he can only hide in hills. this also gives you the advantage of reach , his fireballs can only go up to 4 squares where your calvary can get a reach of 10 squares. he will start getting afraid to step out of his cities.

pillage pillage pillage. get your calvary and do just that.

once in CoE build your hidden nationality shadows.

dont forget your flurries and marksmen. cast haste on 3 flurries giving them a move of 4. this allows them to move 4 squares and then attack twice .... killing 6 units in a stack on the opening turn.

when done right he will be afraid to move his casters out of town. and eventually you will crush him.

haha that's hilarious

Right now I don't think they are getting any bonus xp. I got beat to Form of the Titan by 1 turn due to prioritizing research. Currently not using any of the combat civics although I can certainly change to them.

Biggest problem right now is Kithya, Baron, and Al are all stuck next to Acheron surrounded by Amurite lands. I managed to "sneak" them there (he has a lot of territory and didn't notice) but now he's considering the benefits of a quick declare followed by killing all my heroes.

He has Saverous right there (which I'm not worried about as I have 2 assassins Ky, Al, & baron a blooded werewolf and an ogre) but hemah is nearby and that I am nervous about.

I was hoping to snipe Acheron and steal the horde because for some reason I thought it had iron ( only have copper) but its basically useless ot me for gold and gems since I already have both. Plus I forgot I couldn't upgrade outside my border so I had to turn my adept with xp to get valor around to get the sorcery upgrade and now if he closes borders I can't cast on them to hit acheron anyway.

Worst comes to worst I guess I could use m yworld spell although I don't think my heroes are that important to keep alive anyway are they? Just the baron and with all the forest around should be easy for him to escape.

archmages are difficult to protect against assassins - especially if they are HN. other then that your best solution is to attack from out of sight - being a raider should help a lot.

Top Bottom