CPU issue while gaming

Synobun

Deity
With just about any game now, my CPU maxes out at 99%, no matter how intensive it is. My system specs are as follows:

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Processor 3.40GHZ
ATI Radeon HD 5900 Series
8GB RAM
64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate

This makes gaming a very large nuisance, as the processor then begins to beep incessantly (and also very loudly), indicating that it's on verge of an overload (or something like that). With normal games, it simply hangs at 99% but still lets me continue playing, however with online FPS games (for some reason I do not have the problem with Valve games) it maxes out to 100% and my computer promptly freezes up. It happens with the sound glitching into a horrible grinding noise, the screen flashing, and then the screen going black, forcing me to shut down the computer via the tower and then turning it back on.

Needless to say, it's gotten quite annoying. I want to have the joys of playing online FPS games such as Call of Duty and some free to play games, and to play with only the game sounds being heard, but it's impossible with this issue.

I have been looking at my task manager during these incidents, and there's nothing out of the ordinary. My most recent incident is with Mass Effect, and these are the numbers from the manager.

Mass Effect: 38 CPU
System Idle: 61 CPU

That's it. Everything else is a solid 00. With the additional program I have, it shows my CPU usage at 99%, and also with Task Manager. I've googled the issue for months and even asked a computer savvy friend about it, but to no avail.

Can you guys help me out?

As an added note, I have tried turning off cores while playing games but it does not help. It helps with the FPS games for a few minutes but it is horribly laggy during that duration and crashes anyways.

That's a weird error and one that I've never heard about before. As AMD CPUs aren't my thing, I can only think that your BIOS may have been set to a weird CPU/motherboard option that is causing a bottleneck/slowdown. Or IDK, maybe your CPU is damaged/improperly seated?

How are your temperatures? Is your CPU perhaps overheating and throttling itself? With those games that CPU should not be struggling.

How are your temperatures? Is your CPU perhaps overheating and throttling itself? With those games that CPU should not be struggling.

The GPU is at 61C right now. Everything else is at around 30-35C. Is that bad?

CPU is 30-35c at load? That's a great temp for load, I am guessing that is at idle though. (Which is still fine.) GPU temp is OK for load but that's not the problem here, I think.

If you don't have a load test already, download a trial version of Everest (or whatever it is called now, AIDA or something) and run the CPU load test. It's a quick and easy way to test your temps at load in one easy program. If there is a cooling problem it will be apparent immediately.

If temps are not the problem then I am not entirely sure what is going on. What GHZ does CPU-z say it is running at?

CPU Speed:
CPU Clock 3415.62 MHz

Temperatures: (I have no idea if these are the CPU temps, they're the only temperatures in the report, but I'm actually thinking these are the drive temps. Do you know where I can find the CPU temps in an Everest report?)
WDC WD10EARS-00Y5B1 28 °C (82 °F)
WDC WD10EARS-00Y5B1 29 °C (84 °F)
WDC WD10EARS-00Y5B1 29 °C (84 °F)

CPU Properties:
CPU Type 2x , 3433 MHz
Instruction Set x86, x86-64, MMX, 3DNow!, SSE, SSE2, SSE3
L1 Code Cache 64 KB
L1 Data Cache 64 KB
L2 Cache 512 KB (Asynchronous)

Motherboard Properties: (Not really understanding this part)
Motherboard ID Unknown
Motherboard Name Unknown

BIOS Properties:
BIOS Type Unknown
System BIOS Date Unknown
Video BIOS Date Unknown

That's about all I can find in the very long report that appears to be of value/relevance to this. Does it help at all or is there more I need to get?

As an added note, is it worth pointing out that whenever this occurs, all four cores are locked at 100%, or, if I decide to turn two cores off to see if it helps, two cores are locked at 100%?

As an added note, is it worth pointing out that whenever this occurs, all four cores are locked at 100%, or, if I decide to turn two cores off to see if it helps, two cores are locked at 100%?

I'd suspect that the number of operating cores would have an influence on reaching full capacity on the CPU. I don't know how AMD CPUs operate, but the Intel quadcores have a "turboboost" option in which the number of cores operating is sacrificed to boost the frequency of the operating cores. If your software were not multi-core enabled (e.g. a single-core game) and you were running a slower model CPU locked in a multi-core mode, then it would logically reach that 99% capacity quicker than if the CPU were in a single-core mode.

But that is just assuming that AMD CPUs have similar "turboboost" technology.

I was thinking maybe try running Burnintest, then starting a game, then alt+taskbar number that Burnintest is and see if Burnintest registers a CPU failure.

Otherwise, can your AMD be locked to single core on-the-fly? If yes, then maybe that is your solution to playing games, until they come multi-core enabled.

I don't think it can. Normally I change the amount of cores I use by minimizing the game and going into task manager and changing the affinity. It doesn't really change anything I think except the amount of cores that are maxed out. I've never tried running only one core though, so I'll try that.

I could also try running Burnintest while running a game, but running it, for some reason, really slows my computer down after the fact so I'm not sure it would be worthwhile.

Oh well, best bet is to call your motherboard maker and AMD and see if they have a fix. Possibly you need to return a part, or update a driver (probably motherboard driver).

Second to that, look for an answer on a tech site like Tom's Hardware or overclockers.net.
It doesn't sound like a very common problem, based on the lack of response here.

Reading the word overclock got me thinking, so I went into the catalyst and turned it on.

After fiddling with it for about half an hour, the incidence occurrence is halved, if not more. I'm not really understanding the logic behind it, but I'll take it?

How much did you overclock? And be sure you fully understand the responsibility with overclocking----getting the voltages tweaked correctly and the probability of shortened components life. I would have looked into the possibility of needing a driver update first, since your native clock speed is pretty decent at 3.4ghz.

How much did you overclock? And be sure you fully understand the responsibility with overclocking----getting the voltages tweaked correctly and the probability of shortened components life. I would have looked into the possibility of needing a driver update first, since your native clock speed is pretty decent at 3.4ghz.

Checked the drivers, checked several programs that scan for drivers, all up to date. It doesn't matter all that much anymore, I'm getting a decent laptop soon. With how my computer has been lately, quality of gaming will be about the same, if not better.

Thanks for the help, regardless!

Top Bottom