Crash on AI turn and workaround

psparky

King
My game crashed on the AI's turn in a repeatable way. It appeared to have frozen but flipping to another desktop and back, I could see information on the crash, which was in MSVCP90.dll. I tried a bunch of stuff and nothing made any difference. I sent the save to my brother and it also crashed for him, which virtually eliminated a bunch of system/machine related causes.

It always stopped on the unmet player 8's turn (10 player game), and using a save game analyser I determined that this was England. I decided to investigate a little further and installed IGE (amazing tool BTW) and took a look at England. They were about to complete a tech and enter the renaissance, the first civ to do so. I awarded the tech and the game immediately crashed. It turned out that clicking any tech in the renaissance for any player also crashed the game.

I looked at a lot of threads on various sites and one suggested that a similar looking crash was performing a string operation at the time - now this is pretty wild speculation, but I'm thinking it crashed trying to construct the notification message.

Anyway, I continued to investigate and found a workaround that has a fairly low impact on the game (please correct me if I'm wrong about that!). For England, I clicked on a tech in the industrial era to award it, then again to remove it. England now entered the industrial era, and when I continued, the crash had disappeared. I've played another 50 turns in which other players have advanced eras with no problem.

I know England will now have incorrectly increased city state bonuses and religious purchase costs, but at least I can play out my game.

Update: I just realized I didn't get a spy at renaissance, so the game is more disturbed than I thought.

Update 2: After a second game crashed in a similar way, I investigated further and found an error in a DLC file. Also, the workaround above was only delaying the problem.

Last edited:
Top Bottom