[BTS] Crash on startup (steam)

NeverZero

Chieftain
when I attempt to play the game it always crashes I've tried uninstalling (by deleting all files) and it still does not work, it used to work about a week ago.

the loading box stops at "Init Engine" then crashes no error message.

I'm attempting to launch the base BTS game (steam) no mods launch.

Last edited:
sorry for adding this file late, I have just found out how to make a log

Attachments

• init - Copy.txt
    821 bytes · Views: 118
I have fixed the game, my computer was using NVIDIA GPU instead of the integrated graphics, if anyone else has this problem go to the NVIDIA control panel, Manage 3D settings, Program settings tab, then select the beyond the sword exe file, select integrated graphics below.

Capture.PNG

I'm having the same problem and I think it's the same source, as I'm also using an NVIDIA card and the crashes seem to come and go whenever NVIDIA updates their drivers. However, I don't have an integrated graphics card to switch to. Is there another option?

@NeverZero @Oberon4278

The issue is definitely not the graphics card, and you really don't want to run any game with the sucky Integrated Graphics.

Reason is Steam jacked up the assets (namely the DLL) when the transition over the MP some years ago. After pushback, Steam created an "original_release" beta version of all IV version, that reverts this back. So you will need to go to BTS in your Steam library >right-click>Properties>Beta tab> from drop down select "original_release_unsupported.."

I will also suggest a couple of other things that help, if you don't do this already:

1) Always run BTS from the executable, not from the Steam library.

2) If running Win10, I would also run the game as administrator. Right-click the BTS executable>Compatibility tab> select "run as administrator" checkbox. Also, from this same screen, I recommend running compatibility for Win7.

@NeverZero @Oberon4278

The issue is definitely not the graphics card, and you really don't want to run any game with the sucky Integrated Graphics.

Reason is Steam jacked up the assets (namely the DLL) when the transition over the MP some years ago. After pushback, Steam created an "original_release" beta version of all IV version, that reverts this back. So you will need to go to BTS in your Steam library >right-click>Properties>Beta tab> from drop down select "original_release_unsupported.."

I will also suggest a couple of other things that help, if you don't do this already:

1) Always run BTS from the executable, not from the Steam library.

2) If running Win10, I would also run the game as administrator. Right-click the BTS executable>Compatibility tab> select "run as administrator" checkbox. Also, from this same screen, I recommend running compatibility for Win7.
Hey, this looks helpful, but where is the BTS .exe file?

Hey, this looks helpful, but where is the BTS .exe file?
If you are running Steam version the main BTS folder should be in something like steam/common/civ iv/bts/bts (yes 2 bts folders the lower one is the main folder)

Top Bottom