[SDK] Cultural Golden Age

Imperator Knoedel

Simperator Knoedel
NOTE: This version is outdated and no longer supported. Please use this mod instead, thank you.

Download here

This mod accumulates culture on a player level for all civilizations in addition to the city level. Once it passes certain thresholds, a Golden Age begins. This serves to make culture a useful investment in all cities, not just those on the fringes.

The exact values of the thresholds depend on game speed and world size, e.g. in a Quick game on a Small map you need less culture for each Golden Age than you would on a Large map with Epic speed. The default initial threshold on Standard Size and Speed is 1,000 culture, from there on it will grow exponentially with each Cultural Golden Age until it reaches a hardcoded limit of 100,000 culture (subject to speed and size modifications). You can de- or increase the thresholds by changing CULTURE_GOLDEN_AGE_THRESHOLD in GlobalDefines.xml, but keep in mind that the real default initial value is twice that.

Edit: As of the new version I uploaded on 29/10/2020, culture from Great Works and random events gets added to the counter as well.

Credit goes to Maniac, who originally developed this mechanic as part of his excellent Planetfall mod. I merely copied and pasted it here for easy access in the hope that other modders would integrate it into their own creations. The only modification I made was changing the way the threshold increases are calculated from a simple linear progression to an exponential one that eventually stagnates after about half a dozen Golden Ages. I did this because I feel a simple linear growth just doesn't scale well with gameplay at all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom