Deity Domination Victory Strategy (3v3 Medieval Teamer)

cv431410

Warlord
Deity Domination Victory Strategy (3v3 Medieval Teamer)

1. Introduction
1.1 Deity AI Advantage
1.2 My Niche
1.3 Setting
1.4 Game Strategy
1.5 Highlights
1.6 Research Path
2. Basic Strategy
2.1 Initial Expansion Requirements
2.2 Phase I Initial Expansion
2.3 Phase II: Capture 2 - 4 Cities
2.4 Phase III: Defense
2.5 Phase IV: Offense
3. Tactics & Execution
4. Practice Process
4.1 Emperor 1 on 1
4.3 Immortal 1 on 1
5. Deity 3v3

1. Introduction

3v3 and 5v5 Inland Sea Medieval Teamer games are getting popular online, so we may as well practice with Deity AI. It turns out SP (Single Player) is quite different from MP (Multiple Player) in this era.

There are a few tactics, which are specific to this Era. As usual, a large amount of files will be available for download.

Different people will rate AI’s overall skill (research, production, strategy,) differently; here is how I rate AI’s skill level at the Medieval Era:

Settler AI = 1
Noble AI = 2
Monarch AI = 3
Emperor AI = 4
Immortal AI = 6
Deity AI = 10

i.e. Deity is much harder than Immortal.

1.1 Deity AI Advantage

Deity AI has the following advantages:

· At the Deity level, AI starts with 3 settlers, 3 workers, 6 archers, and 3 explorers. You start with 2 settlers, 1 worker, 2 archers, and 1 explorer.
· Technologies cost less (40 % less?).
· Building and Units cost less (40 % less?).
· Happiness costs less (40%?).
· Inflation, city, and civic upkeep, upgrade cost less (40%?).
· Health costs less (40%?).
· City grows faster (40% less food? (Deity AI takes 7 food growth the first size)).

When you team up with Deity AI, you will need to take full advantage of your teammate, especially:

· Technologies cost less (40 % less?).
· Building and Units cost less (40 % less?).
· Inflation, city, and civic upkeep, upgrade cost less (40%?).

1.2 My Niche

Well, as many Deity Guides have shown before, some balance has to be found:

(1) Selecting a supporting position instead of a front position.
Front position is significantly harder than a supporting position so we will settle in the supporting position in this guide.

(2) Team Research.
Teaming up with Deity AI is my biggest niche. This means I basically release my pressure for Research initially.

1.3 Setting

Difficulty: Deity
Speed: Quick
World Size: Tiny*
Map: Inland Sea
Sea Level: Low (largest tiny map)
Era: Medieval
Leader: Recommend spiritual leaders** and protective leaders***
Teaming: 3v3

* Map Size
At the Deity level, the medieval games require very, very heavy city management. If you want to auto everything, then you will run into problems easily. The reason is this: in the game, your city will grow from size 1 to size 9, and then you will gradually starve the city from size 9 to size 5 - 6, and eventually grow it back. The largest tiny map (Low Sea) will give you about 6 cities; that is quite a lot of cities to manage. The High Sea small map will generate 8 cities, which is too many to manage all the time.

** Spiritual Leaders

Spiritual can be helpful; many civics are required and no anarchy will help:

The starting civic is for production:

Organized Religion (+25% + priests production)

Feudalism will cause a switch:

Vassalage.

Civil Service will cause a switch:

Bureaucracy (50% capital)

This will be followed by unit production:

Theocracy (+2 EP)

A short burst of Great Person production will follow, causing the switch to the following and then switch back to original civics:

Cast System
Pacifism

Happiness becomes a problem:

Nationalism (+2 for barrack)

And finally at the Deity level, the civic for Happiness is:

Police State (-25% WW)

*** Protective Leaders

Protective Leaders help in two ways:

(1) You will play defense 75% of the time, & play offense only 25% of the time.
(2) Half of the units produced in this guide are Longbow units. Longbow can get city garrison III promotion. This promotion (+75%), together with fortification for 5 turns (25%), can produce a unit with a defense strength 12 for 33 hammers, which is a good return on investment.

1.4 Game Strategy

(1) Deity game is a game of Happiness.

In the Medieval game, the War Weariness (WW) will reach above 10 at some point; that is if you play the game carefully.

WW is controlled as follows:

Police State: -25% (all cities)
Jail: -25% (in that city)
Mount Rushmore: -50% (all cities)
Total: -100%

However, the game is over before then. As a result, the capital with a global theater does not have Happiness problem; the rest of the cities are basically size 5 - 6 cities.

Your cities will grow from 1 to 9 initially; then you will slowly bring it down to 5 while maintaining unit production along the way.

(2) Basic Strategy

The strategy in this guide has 4 phases:

· Initial Expansion
· Rush
· Turtle
· Offense

Initial Expansion

In this phase, you will set up 4 cities and have 6 workers. The worker to city ratio is 1.5 at minimum. The cities will need the following:

Barrack
Forge
Religion (+2EP unit promotion)

In addition, each player in your team needs to have iron, horse, and elephants. If there are not enough resources, make sure your teammates have them since your are the supporting player.

Rush

In this phase, your team will rush 2 – 4 cities.

Turtle

You will defend your entire team on both sides. Do not count on any of your teammates. You defend both sides of the Inland Sea as if your partners do not exist. You must do so without losing units. Here is the simple mathematics:

You have 6 cities, your Deity opponents have 6 cities, except your cities are sizes 5 – 6 (except the capital), and their cities are size 12 - 15.
They produce units 40% cheaper than you.

If you are trading unit for unit, you will be dead.

This phase ended when you have 5 theaters and a global theater in your capital. The capital also has Heroic Epic. This single city will provide your most of the offensive units other than catapults.

Final Offense

When you are ready to attack, your teammates have been pillaging the enemy. AI force is roughly divided into:

Mobile Offensive Force (50%): Attacking force.
Mobile Defensive Force (25%): Homeland defense.
Stationery Defensive Force (25%): City defense.
Newly produced units.

When AI still has Mobile Offensive Force, attacking is nothing but disaster. Thankfully, your partners are very good at consuming the enemy’s Mobile Offensive Force. Your partners are also good at pillaging, which will reduce the Mobile Defensive Force and damage enemy’s economy for production of new units.

(3) Your Roles

Your role is 75% defense, 25% offense.

You will defend with basically 3 types units:

Longbow with city garrison III: 60%
Knights: 20%
Catapults: 20%

AI will throw invasion forces and pillaging forces at you. You will ignore the pillaging units and let your partner to take care of them. When there is left over (damaged pillaging units), you clean them up with your knights. You will use catapults on the invasion force to reduce the damage to your units.

You will do this until your own invasion force is ready, which also coincides with the animation of the enemy’s Mobile Offensive Force. You will not be able to do this until you have a global theater and HE (Heroic Epic) in your capital and start producing units (cavalry and grenadiers). All other cities are too small to produce the expensive units. They are producing longbows and catapults.

1.5 Highlights

Obviously, many tactics will be used, but they not all are equal. Here are the most important tactics, which will be explained in detail later:

· Deity AI produces units faster than you, so you cannot trade units for units.
· Attack first and fast; taking a few cities is the key to dominating the map.
· Your partner has low Inflation, city and civic upkeep, & upgrade costs. Take their money, and you will maintain a Research rate above 60% all the time.
· Deity game is a game of Happiness. In the Medieval game, the War Weariness (WW) will reach above 10 at some point; that is if you play the game carefully.

1.6 Research Path

The Research path will be:

1. Feudalism for Longbow and faster workers
2. Civil Service and Machinery
3. Guild for Knights or Theology
4. Theology or Guild for Knights
5. Grenadier /Chemistry
6. Nationalism for Nationhood (Happiness)
7. Constitution for Jail (Happiness)
8. Cavalry

The game should be over by now. If not:

9. Rifle
10. Infantry
11. Fascism for Mount Rushmore & Police state

2. Basic Strategy

The tactics used will be in the next chapter. This chapter will focus on strategy.

2.1 Initial Expansion Requirements

The objective of the initial expansion is to get 4 cities and 6 workers (1.5 ratio).

A worker costs 40P and a settler costs 67P. A chopping takes 3 turns (+ 1 turn travel) and produces about 20P. Organized Religion + Religion will add 25% or 5P.

The production assignments are:

Starting:
Worker 1, settler 1, settler 2.

City 1:
Build worker 2, worker 3, and settler 3
Worker 1: chop
Worker 2: send to city 2
Worker 3: chop

A worker costs 40 P, so you can start to chop 2 workers immediately in city 1. Three chops plus base production (4P – 5P per turn) should produce 80P required for 2 workers. The settler requires quite a bit more hammers, so after 2 workers, let the city grow to size two while you improve 2 high production/high food tiles and continue to chop settler after reaching size 2.

City 2:
Build worker 4, worker 5, and settler 4
Receiving worker 2: high food tiles, chop
Produced Worker 4: chop
Produced Worker 5: send to city 3

Since you cannot chop to start with, let the city to grow to size 2 first, then chop 2 workers and one settler.

City 3:
Build worker 6
Receiving worker 5: chop

City 4:

This is a balance between unit production and early expansion.
· If the early expansion takes too long, the game is lost because your team will be rushed.
· If the early expansion is not big enough, the game is lost because of weak economy.
· Four cities and 6 workers seem to be a good balance point.

2.2 Phase I Initial Expansion

Now, it is the time to play for real. In 3v3, it is assumed that you are a better fighter than your AI partner and your AI partner is a better Researcher.

The objective of this phase:

· Get 4 cities
· All cities have Religion
· All teammates have iron and horse
· Produce 4 warriors and 14 units

I.1 Select Hereditary Rule, Slavery, and Organized Religion.

I.2 Research Feudalism.

I.3 Use the drill in the last section to get 4 cities and 6 workers.

I.4 Build more cities if necessary to obtain resources.

Notes about city placement:
· You will eventually have 6 cities and 9 workers, but not in this phase;
· The first 3 cities are selected purely for their location, i.e. Food resources and Mountains. Food is always priority 1.
· Plan cities for size 9, but no more than 12. However, you will need to change working tiles often, so the city will have more than 12 squares even though the city size is 12.
· After 3 cities, make sure each of your teammates have iron, elephant, and horse. It is more important that your two teammates have horse and iron first; gift yours to them. Use cities 4 and 5 to ensure all three teammates have iron and horse.
· Each of your teammates has 3 cities initially and you have two. After their initial placement, all land inside are yours and both of them will expand forward, so make sure you do not give them room to expand toward you.

I.5 Connect to iron and horse.

I.6 Make sure everyone has iron and horse ASAP.

I.7 Building Order.

(i) Finish the drill in the last section.
(ii) Building Order

Forges
Barracks
Happiness filers (warriors)
Missionaries
Longbow/Knights

Note:
The warriors are Happiness fillers. Each city gets a warrior before size 5.

Vassalage provides the initial unit promotion. Soon after that, Theocracy will provide the unit promotion for the rest of the game. Produce enough priests before switching, including the anticipation of new cities.

In this guide, you can count on the culture expansion from Religion.

Produce defensive units in this ratio:

3 longbows
1 catapult
1 knight

Knight: when the enemy pillaging units are injured by your teammates, take them out with your knights and then retreat your knight back to the city.

Catapults: when the enemy stack attacks your city, use your collateral damage units on the stack before it attacks.

Longbows: do nothing except switching cities when necessary.

I.8 All of your citizens should work on the improved tiles now. As soon as all citizens work on improved tiles, take 2 workers out to build roads to both fronts. These two workers will remain at the front for the rest of the game.

Notes:

There is no city specialization in this phase. All cities produce military units to take down two enemy cities on each side (total of four cities). City Specialization starts in the next phase.

I.9 Know Yourself, Know Your Enemy

The game provides you the military strength of each player. Go to the game chart; the default setting is the score. Use the pushdown menu to select “Power”. The Power graph indicates each AI’s military strength, so at any given moment, you should know precisely the strength of each of the 6 players; act upon this information.

I.11 Send all your longbows and knights to the front; this completes this phase.

2.3 Phase II: Capture 2 - 4 Cities

· Take 2 - 4 cities
· Hold the line

AI will build a few cities with a fairly light defense, i.e. two longbows. AI will also initiate attacks after reaching to a certain strength. When you put these two things together, your team can take four cities easily.

II.1 Keep Producing Units

Your opponents will have two cities; each city will have 2 longbows initially. This defense will, of course, strengthen over time. Continuing from Phase I, continue to build more units.

II.2 Strengthen your Teammates

Your teammate will attack when he reaches to a certain strength. As soon as you see him starting to attack, gift him a few catapult and others, or attack with him. This should be enough to take down one city on each side or two.

II.3 The AI will not hold the city, so it is your job to hold these captured cities with longbows.

This completes this phase.

2.4 Phase III: Defense

· Complete your expansion
· Control WW (War Weariness)
· Produce offensive force

III.1 Killing without losing Your Units

It is very important that you do not lose many units for two reasons:
(1) Deity AI out produces you, so you can not keep up;
(2) WW increases faster if you lose units.

But, you do not have to lose units. There are a few things you have to do:

(1) Take as many workers as necessary to build roads in every square in the front city and cut down all trees;
(2) AI will send a large amount of pillaging units. Resist the temptation to fight with them. Have your teammate take care of them;
(3) When the enemy pillaging units are injured, take them out with your knights and then retreat your knight back to the city;
(4) When the enemy stack attacks your city, use your collateral damage units on the stack before it attacks.

Therefore, the only times you lose units are when you are attacked inside a city. Unless the attack stack has a 2 to 1 ratio against you, you will not lose many units.

III.2 Cash Support from Teammates

Deity AI has many advantages, including;
· Inflation, city and civic upkeep, upgrade cost less (40%?).
· City grows faster (40% less food? (Deity AI takes 7 food growth the first size)).

As a result, they have gold left over; take the gold to increase your Research rate.

III.3 Completed Expansion

Each of your teammates has 3 cities to start with. After their initial placements, all land inside are yours and both of them will expand forward, so make sure you do not give them room to expand toward you. Build a city to stop them from expanding toward you. Build as many cities as it takes to fill the land around you.

III.4 City Specialization

Strangely enough, when you team up with Deity teammates, you get gold from teammates so you need only be concerned with production and most importantly, Happiness. There will not be a Science City; there will not be Commerce City.

All cities need Happiness buildings.

Religion building
Jail
Theater

III.5 City Size and WW

WW starts with 1, 2, 3, 4... eventually it will reach above 10. Controlling WW is a must. There are a few things you will need to do:

Stop the city from growing at size 9.
Gradually bring the city down with –1 food deficit.
Build Happiness buildings
At the proper time, build 5 theaters and put the global theater in the capital; this will keep the capital building growing.
Do not put +2 Happiness buildings in the capital.

Do not lose units; your production is simply too poor to replace them.

III.6 Research Path is:

· Grenadier
· Cavalry
· Rifleman

III.7 Maintaining the Roads

Your front city roads will be pillaged by AI; repair them as soon as possible.

III.8 Defense Intelligence

Watch the Power graph every other turn and send your defense to compensate the imbalance between the your teammate and his opponents.

If you notice that one of your wings is falling behind in power, you need to send more units to that direction.

III.9 Heroic Epic + Global Theater

Build Heroic Epic and Global Theater in the city with the best production, i.e. capital.

III.10 Opportunities

When you hold the line, your teammates are preparing offense. From time to time, there will be opportunities when with your cooperation, you and your teammate can take down a few cities; make sure you take these opportunities.

You should not initiate offense during this phase because of WW.

III11. WW, WW, WW, ….

Your most serious problem in this phase is not that you do not have enough units, but how you manage the production of both units and Happiness:

You need to find time to produce:

+1 Happiness Religious building (first religion)
+1 Happiness Religious building (second religion)
Representation (+2 for 4 cities)
Coliseum
Switch to nationhood (+2 for barrack)
Market
+2 Happiness Religious buildings (first religion)
+2 Happiness Religious buildings (second religion)
5 Theaters + Global Theater
Theaters + 10% culture slide

This should be enough to produce a Happiness of 15 - 18 in all of your important buildings; keep your city to size 5.

This phase is ended when you have the Global Theater in the capital, i.e. No WW in your capital.

This is a very long phase and it is quite possible at the end of this phase, your team has taken another 2 - 4 cities.

2.5 Phase IV: Offense

Objective:

· All out attack
· Wipe out the weak AI
· Win

At this point, the only opponent that has high power is the one in the back; both front AI opponents should have power lower than yours. Your primary target is the weak AI. On the other hand, attack only when you have a good opportunity.

IV.1 Pillaging

AI force is roughly divided into:

Mobile Offensive Force (50%): Attacking force.
Mobile Defensive Force (25%): Homeland defense.
Stationery Defensive Force (25%): City defense.
Newly produced units.

At this point, your team has destroyed their Mobile Offensive Force. Your teammates have been trying:
(1) To destroy his Mobile Defensive Force.
(2) To destroy his capability to produce new units.

With no WW problem in your capital, your capital can pump out cavalry (80P) and grenadier (67P) rapidly. The other city can produce longbows and catapults. You will first join your teammate to make his land improvement squeaky clean. Then you can attack.

3. Tactics & Execution

3.1 Knowing Yourself; Knowing Your Enemy

Learn how to use the Power graph.

3.2 Killing Without Losing

Let your teammate take care of the pillaging units; you only take care of the leftover.

3.3 How to Control WW

Have Heroic Epic and Global Theater in the same city.

3.4 Placement of the Cities

Stop your teammate from expanding toward you. In the end, both of them will have much larger land than you.

3.5 Mobility is the Key to Success

Mobility offers protection to your forces after the fight and allows you to retrieve all injured units and therefore save them.

Initially, any units outside the cities will not have a long life. This means, initially, you should fight within your culture boundary. Build roads everywhere, in every square!!!

3.6 Economic Attack

Pillaging, Pillaging, and Pillaging, that is how you catch up in military technology. You will never catch up to Deity AI in overall technology.

3.7 Keep Captured Cities

Do not destroy captured cities; AI will always build it back. Give the city to your AI partner.

3.8 City Management

If you do not want to manage each of your cities every turn, manage them at least every third turn. The city is constantly getting unhappy. The cities keep focused on production and ignore food. I have to constantly redirect working tiles so the city is not starving.

3.9 Attack with Overwhelming Force

Do not attack unless you have enough units.

Do not attack when AI still has Mobile Offensive Forces; once you see his offensive force, run and don’t fight.

4. Practice Process

The process that helps me to win the Deity game is this:

Emperor 1v1
Immortal 1v1
Deity 3v3

I will upload a few examples for you to practice. I generally do not regenerate maps, but when I consider Deity AI’s advantages, regeneration is well justified.

4.1 Emperor 1 on 1

The following files are for Emperor 1 on 1, the first step for Deity domination.

Attachments

• emperor_medieval_1_start.CivWarlordsSave
    11 KB · Views: 111
  • emperor_medieval_3_expand.CivWarlordsSave
    31.2 KB · Views: 70
  • emperor_medieval_4rush.CivWarlordsSave
    33.9 KB · Views: 76
  • emperor_medieval_7.CivWarlordsSave
    46.9 KB · Views: 127
  • emperor_medieval_9win27379.CivWarlordsSave
    52.6 KB · Views: 82
4.3 Immortal 1 on 1

The following files are for Immortal 1 on 1, the second step for Deity domination.

Attachments

• immortal_medieval_1_start.CivWarlordsSave
    16.4 KB · Views: 73
  • immortal_medieval_3_war1.CivWarlordsSave
    33.7 KB · Views: 73
  • immortal_medieval_5_war1.CivWarlordsSave
    44 KB · Views: 87
  • immortal_medieval_7_war2.CivWarlordsSave
    48.1 KB · Views: 118
  • immortal_medieval_9_39537.CivWarlordsSave
    50.1 KB · Views: 78
5. Deity 3v3

Again, these are the highlights:

· Deity AI produces units faster than you, so you cannot trade units for units.
· Attack first and fast; taking a few cities is the key to dominating the map.
· Your partner has low Inflation, city and civic upkeep, & upgrade costs. Take their money, and you will maintain a Research rate above 60% all the time.
· Deity game is a game of Happiness. In the Medieval game, the War Weariness (WW) will reach 10 at some point; that is if you play the game carefully.

The following files are for Deity 3v3, the final step for Deity domination.

Attachments

• deity_medieval_1_start.CivWarlordsSave
    39.6 KB · Views: 122
  • deity_medieval_2_expand.CivWarlordsSave
    82.4 KB · Views: 87
  • deity_medieval_3_rush.CivWarlordsSave
    93.7 KB · Views: 72
  • deity_medieval_4_defense.CivWarlordsSave
    96.5 KB · Views: 77
  • deity_medieval_5_defense.CivWarlordsSave
    106.7 KB · Views: 124
Rest of the files: