Did Blake do the AI?

phungus420

Deity
Did Blake do the AI for Civ Rev?

No, Sid did.

I know he was much more involved in this one but I haven't heard that he did that AI!!

Did Sid actually write any code? I thought of it more like a producer type role, overseeing everything and guiding the direction of the game.

I doubt Blake did it, the AI in CivRev is far less impressive than what's in BTS. It reminds me more of Civ4 Vanillia, perhaps a little worse.

Did Sid actually write any code? I thought of it more like a producer type role, overseeing everything and guiding the direction of the game.

I doubt Blake did it, the AI in CivRev is far less impressive than what's in BTS. It reminds me more of Civ4 Vanillia, perhaps a little worse.

I disagree with you there. I also doubt Blake did it, but the AI is not worse than it was in Civ IV Vanilla. The AI actually tries to win the game and tries to prevent the player from winning the game when s/he becomes close. The AI in Vanilla never did either of those.

The AI actually tries to win the game and tries to prevent the player from winning the game when s/he becomes close.

I'm in a distant third place in my current game and every single civ is at war with me and the AI leader who is blowing everyone away is sitting a few tiles away without having been attacked once.

The AI doesn't try to win. The AI tries to collectively eliminate the human player whether or not that gets them victory.

I'm in a distant third place in my current game and every single civ is at war with me and the AI leader who is blowing everyone away is sitting a few tiles away without having been attacked once.

The AI doesn't try to win. The AI tries to collectively eliminate the human player whether or not that gets them victory.

Maybe they're ganging up on you becuase you are, the weakest link.

The AI act more human in my opinion.

Wouldn't you gang up against the strongest civ, so they don't get stronger?

Wouldn't you take out the weakest civ, so they are out of the game for good?

Sid actually coded this front to back with the team, and the AI is his. :)

Maybe they're ganging up on you becuase you are, the weakest link.

The AI act more human in my opinion.

Wouldn't you gang up against the strongest civ, so they don't get stronger?

Wouldn't you take out the weakest civ, so they are out of the game for good?

The AI doesn't gang up on the leader of the game. The AI doesn't gang up on the loser of the game. The AI gangs up on the human.

I'd love it if the AI fought against an AI in the lead. I'd love it if the AI ganged up on a last place AI. I'd love it if the AI attacked another AI with the intention of taking it out of the game.

The AI doesn't gang up on the leader of the game. The AI doesn't gang up on the loser of the game. The AI gangs up on the human.

I'd love it if the AI fought against an AI in the lead. I'd love it if the AI ganged up on a last place AI. I'd love it if the AI attacked another AI with the intention of taking it out of the game.

If they did that, it would make the game even more easier than it already is.

And to be perfectly honest, the AI most of the time doesn't attack your cities, unless there unprotected, so Sid thought to make the game harder he would have to use the AI gang up system to make the game more challenging

Sid actually coded this front to back with the team, and the AI is his. :)

Nice to know.. Has he explained his design decisions anywhere? Seems as if a lot of people keep mentioning the AI being aggressive, only attacking human players, not being that good of an AI...

Is there plans to change the ai?

No, Sid did.
That's interesting, I wouldn't have thought that. So how *does* it perform? I mean, back in the days when Sid was still doing AI programming, the AIs in Civ were cheating like hell and still failed to be competitive. Of course the lack of processing power in these times have been a limiting factor, but to be honest, I've seen Sid as a visionary designer rather than a brilliant coder.

I've seen Sid as a visionary designer rather than a brilliant coder.

My thoughts exactly. He has awesome ideas, beyond awesome infact, but there are people out there better at doing the specifics than he is, which is usually the case in most things in life. A politician may have revolutionary ideas, but they need other people to carry out the details.

Top Bottom