Did Firaxis change the Great General meter ?

LeeS

Imperator
Because right now, after clearing my cache, and with only IGE running, I find that there is zero XP being added to the Great General progress meter from combat with Barbarians. Or am I simply being stupid and it has always been that the only time XP is given toward great general progress is when combating major/minor civs, unless a mod changes BARBARIAN_MAX_XP_VALUE ?

I know that with my Barbarian Spawn Increase mod running it has always previously allowed Great General progress from combating barbarians. Part of that mod has this:

Code:
<GameData>
	<Defines>
		<Update>
			<Set Value="-1" />
			<Where Name="BARBARIAN_MAX_XP_VALUE" />
		</Update>
	</Defines>
</GameData>

And, no, this is not a 4-1-2105 thing.

I just did a verify of game cache on steam, and no game-files needed to be fixed.

And I was using the starting warrior to test whether great general progress was being given, and at the time of the test the unit had zero XP accumulated.

[edit]and I just did another test with only IGE and Barbarian Spawn Increase on, and I got no GG progress meter change from combat with a Barbarian. I'm just really confused now :cry:

Is it a recent thing, or was it always this way?

It's been that way since (at least) 1.0.2.11 (pre BNW) - which was the first release the source code was made available for

Well, apparently when my Ranged units attack a Barbarian, I get Great General progress. I did have this in a mod I often use:
Code:
<GameData>
	<Defines>
		<Update>
			<Set Value="4" />
			<Where Name="EXPERIENCE_ATTACKING_UNIT_RANGED" />
		</Update>
	</Defines>
</GameData>
Which made attacking Ranged units gain 4XP and add 4XP to great general progress even when attacking Barbarians. Commenting that code out of the file (and starting an entirely new test-game) returned the XP to the usual 2XP, but still added the experience to the Great General progress meter.

Ranged units that defended themselves against Barbarians added nothing to the Great General progress meter.

IIRC there are two places in the code that are bugged/inconsistent - ranged attacks is one, and planes attacking barbs may also get you GP points.

IIRC there are two places in the code that are bugged/inconsistent - ranged attacks is one, and planes attacking barbs may also get you GP points.
At least it explains why I had been getting Great Generals from fighting off Barbarians, though. I just didn't realise all the XP progress was coming from Ranged units attacking Barbarians.

I was trying this morning to do some testing to confirm my memory on how the Great General progress meter was adjusted when a Great General is spawned, and suddenly, no civ was getting great general progress! I was beginning to think I had done something to seriously break the game system for that, but I had been using melee-attack units.

Top Bottom