Disable Forts?

DuckAndCower

Warlord
After watching a brigade of slaves build no fewer than 4 forts in the BFC of one of my interior cities after discovering Construction, I've decided that they're not worth the trouble.

Does anyone know how I'd go about disabling the auto-workers' building of forts or, failing that, disable forts completely?

They just add far too much micromanagement for a negligible benefit. At best, they can be used to strategically defend chokepoints. Much more frequently, though, it seems they take up valuable land with no payoff whatsoever.

I've looking in the Construction tech's XML and the Fort improvement's XML, and haven't found anything that would seem to help. I'm hoping it's not an SDK issue, since I haven't touched a C++ compiler in nearly a decade, and don't plan on starting now :p

[Edit] Okay, figured out a hack way of disabling them. I just set all the <TerrainMakesValid> values to 0.

Here's the file if anyone else wants to get rid of these pointless annoyances. Just unzip and drop into Beyond the Sword\Mods\Fall from Heaven 2 032\Assets\XML\Terrain (might need to replace "Fall from Heaven 2032" with whatever you named the directory).

Oh, it should go without saying, but since I hardly know what I'm doing, I'd recommend backing up your CIV4ImprovementInfos.xml just to be safe.

Attachments

• CIV4ImprovementInfos.zip
    7.5 KB · Views: 61
I have no idea how to stop automated workers, but removing forts isn't that hard. You could remove the entry i C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Fall from Heaven 2 032\Assets\XML\Terrain\CIV4InprovementInfos.xml, but then you would also have to remove the build order in C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Fall from Heaven 2 032\Assets\XML\Units\CIV4BuildInfos.xml and from the individual units wit this ability in C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Fall from Heaven 2 032\Assets\XML\Units\CIV4UnitInfos.xml. Of course, it would be just as effective to only edit that last file. Just search for fort and remove all of these:
Code:
                <Build>
                    <BuildType>BUILD_FORT</BuildType>
                    <bBuild>1</bBuild>
                </Build>

Wow, that was a fast response. Thanks, Mag :)

I figured out a much uglier way of doing it than you recommended. Looking around more, I'm just about positive workers can't be prevented from autobuilding them through XML or Python. Bummer :(

My solution to this problem was to make citadels and castles give small yeilds and act as cities again so forts eventually become useful.

Top Bottom