Discovering new resources when chopping?

Bad Brett

King
This may not sound as a big deal, but one of my favourite elements of Col1 was that resources could be discovered under the forest. When you first started building your colony, there would be very few special resources but after a while all kinds of nice terrain would show up; Wheat, prime cotton etc.
This would drive me to settle in areas that I thought could have good potential, not land that had a lot of good resources from the beginning.

For me, this was a big excitement factor. I want to be surprised. I don't like the fact that I can see from the very start exactly how my land will look like. I realise that this would be hard to include, since forests are considered as overlays now, but wouldn't it be possible to make resources appear at random everytime a forest gets chopped down?

What do you think? Am I the only one missing this feature?

Im a man who isnt deterred by a gamble or two but I enjoy the new 'less chance more planning' system much more. It also made little sense, its not like your colonists cant see the wild sugar or tobacco. I wouldnt be disappointed still if a bush popped up here or there though ;)

What? You mean to tell me that a fun, charming aspect of Col1 was removed in Col2???? shocking....

Im a man who isnt deterred by a gamble or two but I enjoy the new 'less chance more planning' system much more. It also made little sense, its not like your colonists cant see the wild sugar or tobacco. I wouldnt be disappointed still if a bush popped up here or there though ;)

I think it made more sense that you didn't know beforehand what areas that were good for planting tobacco. The prime tobacco represents areas that are better suited for planting tobacco than others and I think that you should be able to find new ones.

The thing is, that the 'less chance more planning' may be fun for a while, but at the same time it lowers the replayability. If you strip everything and remove all random events, Civilization and Colonization will turn into a game of chess.

This may not sound as a big deal, but one of my favourite elements of Col1 was that resources could be discovered under the forest. When you first started building your colony, there would be very few special resources but after a while all kinds of nice terrain would show up; Wheat, prime cotton etc.
This would drive me to settle in areas that I thought could have good potential, not land that had a lot of good resources from the beginning.

For me, this was a big excitement factor. I want to be surprised. I don't like the fact that I can see from the very start exactly how my land will look like. I realise that this would be hard to include, since forests are considered as overlays now, but wouldn't it be possible to make resources appear at random everytime a forest gets chopped down?

What do you think? Am I the only one missing this feature?

It's in my large file drawer labeled "things I liked in the original, but don't necessarily miss".

It's in my large file drawer labeled "things I liked in the original, and want to see patched/modded back in"

What? You mean to tell me that a fun, charming aspect of Col1 was removed in Col2???? shocking....

Shucks, all these new fangled things; cars, computers, internet. World was much more charming before all the new stuff came along. My horse and buggy never got a flat tire -- thus it was better than my car.

If some of you want to live like the amish and play col1, have fun. But stop sulking over the design of the new cars on the lot.

The Civ4Col is based on Civ4 model, were resources are tied to the tile and not terrain.

So you can chop forest with resource and it will stay (unlike original).

Or you can chop any other wood and never discover new resource (also unlike original).

Top Bottom