DoC 1.17.0 released

Religious buildings do play a role, in that they create more influence of their religion in the city, which determines which religion is being removed.

Religious buildings do play a role, in that they create more influence of their religion in the city, which determines which religion is being removed.
In my specific case, I'm pretty sure those Taoist buildings are the only ones in those cities, I can't spend more game time building any others ;). That would mean they would make that religion slightly more predominant, but instead, it keeps disappearing :sad:...

Is the temple removed immediately or could you keep it by spreading the religion again on the same turn? I know you can do this to keep the construction going.

In my specific case, I'm pretty sure those Taoist buildings are the only ones in those cities, I can't spend more game time building any others ;). That would mean they would make that religion slightly more predominant, but instead, it keeps disappearing :sad:...
I just said that it impacts the religion disappearance priority, not that it prevents religion disappearance entirely.

Is the temple removed immediately or could you keep it by spreading the religion again on the same turn? I know you can do this to keep the construction going.
I haven't tried it, but in general I tend to avoid "interfering" with the game. The only thing I allow myself doing is taking a peek at what's going in the world (ctrl+w) and reload+change actions to have AI civs start tech research that allows any kind of tech trading with them - I don't see how you can possibly win tech discovery UHVs or simply keeping your head above the water on deity (hardest) level!

I just said that it impacts the religion disappearance priority, not that it prevents religion disappearance entirely.
What's certain is that religion maps override any other variable, since, from my own experience, Taoism will always disappear (and it does) over Buddhism (I've never seen it disappear in those cities) in a Korean city for example despite having all three related buildings built vs none for Buddhism.

Last edited:
I meant by keeping a missionary there.
I should try it, but the thing is, those bearded dudes take some time to produce. I don't want to give the impression I'm complaining but since we're discussing game rules in general:

I'd say spend that time instead securing a non-state religion by giving its local flock suitable places to pray and meditate, and you're pretty much good to keep it, unless you're really really unlucky.

To go back to Persia or any other Central/Northern Asian Imperium, this ability to counter the odds would really reflect a policy of resting one's power on local religious forces (or even European colonial Empires for that matter, i.e. the role of French and English colonial governance in fostering ultra-conservative religious forces in their Northern African colonies...).

Didn't realise there were religious maps. I like the idea. But I would see (I know I'm repeating myself) an established way to counter such fatality as another interesting feature for this game.

Last edited:
Your means of controlling the spread of a religion is to adopt it as your state religion.
The problem (at least in the case of India and China) is that players have two major religions that they need to 'control the spread of', but they can only have one state religion at a time.

Would it be possible to adjust the 'disappear chance' for Taoism/Confucianism so that it's reduced when either of them are state religion? TBF, I'm not sure that would work for Buddhism/Hinduism, since historically those two faiths were very much in competition and pushed the other away from certain areas. But Taoism and Confucianism have more or less coexisted in China for most of its history. (Despite their differences with Taoists, the primary historical opposition to Confucian scholars were in fact imperial eunuchs -- China occasionally saw outright gang wars of eunuchs vs. Confucian scholars, like full-on Sharks v. Jets in the middle of the imperial palace.

It sounds like that there's agreement on the general principle (temples and monasteries do in fact have impact on influence -> on chance of a religion disappearing). However, it sounds like there may be a bit of fine-tuning needed, if players can build a temple and a monastery and still have that religion rated 'most likely to disappear' compared to other religions that have no buildings.

I don't see why it is a problem that you cannot spread both Taoism and Confucianism to the Philippines.

* Global warming ignores city unhealth from plagues

Do global warming strikes related to city unhealthiness? I don't play through modern times too often, but I always thought it happens randomly.

It was. Global warming will happen (randomly) if the unhealthy from buildings of the whole world is large enough. It usually happens in late game when many cities have coal plants and factories. But plague is a building too. So when plague spreads to most of the world, it's just like what's happening in late game.

Top Bottom