Does a pitboss game require a dedicated server?

DrKuha

Chieftain
Does one player (the host, I would assume) have to have his or her computer on for the duration of the game? If something happens and that computer loses power or some such thing can the game be recovered and continue? I mean one game could concievably last for months, and I'm not so certain I'm willing to leave my computer on for that length of time. If this is a problem, would it be preferable to just play by email?

You want to keep your computer on at all times, so that people can log on and do their turn, but each complete turn is automatically backed up so in case of a power loss you can always reload.

The only issue is the fact that only complete turns are being saved automatically, so if player 1 completes his turn, and player 2 doesn't, then if you lose power, and have to reload - player 1 will have to re-do the turn. The best thing to do, if you know you'll be shutting down your pitboss server, is to manually save the game from the pitboss dialog - you get no loss of information then. Also each player can manually save the game on their local machines, and send that save to you in case you need it.

By the way - the problem with saving is only present in Simultaneous Turns games, but that's the setting you'll be most likely to play with. Regular - Turns Based games don't have that problem, as a save is being made after individual player moves...

The only issue is the fact that only complete turns are being saved automatically
Actually, take a look in My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Saves\multi\auto (or wherever the equivalent is) - there are "recovery" saves that get saved at some point. Not sure whether it's when a player logs in, completes their turn, or logs out. But they're there.

Ditto what The Oob said, I've verified this. But, more generally, if you don't want to leave your machine on 24/7, PBEM is probably the way to go.

It does it automatically. run a search for *recovery* and I'll bet you'll find the directory Civ 4 is keeping them in. It's obnoxious, because when I tried to keep my civ directories in order after a format a few weeks ago I found PItboss had started a \documents\games folder to go along with the ones under the root directories and the \my games. So they could be anywhere and you have to use shortcut tricks to get them where you want.

Check this location first:

C:\Documents and Settings\<yourWindowsloginnamehere>\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Saves\multi\auto

Top Bottom