Does anyone play for the organic beauty of it?

Sure, otherwise I wouldn't have dumped as many hours as I have into the game.

It is also the reason I play wide, though it is widely accepted to be a weaker strategy than the typical tall/tradition. Wide play tends to bring a different experience on every map, since the number of cities you control and when you get them is always changing from game to game.

Same here OP.

I don't even bother with victory conditions. Always have them all turned off. Same for my Civ III games, and my Gal Civ III games.

I spend quite a bit of time founding and gifting cities to struggling civs. Not such a chore in Civ III, but quite a chore on the giant YETI map.

Same here OP.

I don't even bother with victory conditions. Always have them all turned off. Same for my Civ III games, and my Gal Civ III games.

I spend quite a bit of time founding and gifting cities to struggling civs. Not such a chore in Civ III, but quite a chore on the giant YETI map.

How does the AI act in civilization 5 if you dissable all victory types? Does it change its behavior?

How does the AI act in civilization 5 if you dissable all victory types? Does it change its behavior?

Good question. I've never played with victory conditions enabled on V.

AI still goes to war, still expands, still founds religions, even still goes for Tourism. So maybe with them all turned off, the behavior defaults to act as though they were all turned on.

I play to have something useful (and pretty) on every square. To build a lot of wonders.

Because of my desire for wonders, I'd never even contemplate playing the higher difficulties where they are almost impossible to get.

I want wonders. Lots and lots of wonders, not a massive collection of pop 4 cities. I want my cities to all be huge, you know 40 pop and rising without end. Lovely, lovely cities with lovely, lovely surroundings.

Actually I get angry when I have a city spammer in the game. They put cities in awful places.

And because of this whole warmonger thing it gets problematic to raze them. Gots no time for one of Hiawatha's ass cities.

I also prefer not to conquer city states, but sometimes I look at them and think: "You know I could have a kick ass city in this spot - if you weren't there at all. Frankly you aren't worth conquering given your crappy location, you just interfere with what I'd like my city boundary to be."

I despise Alexander/Shaka/Attila. If they are a neighbor you immediately have to build an army to exterminate them. Can't coexist with them.

And then there are the ones like Pocatello and Hiawatha that have to be exterminated before they make too many stupid cities I won't have a use for.

I don't. But I can see why people do. Civ is a very intuitive game, and with so many difficulty levels, nothing forces a player to "get good" in order to explore all the game has to offer. It's definitely an immersive game for explorers of all strategy levels.

I like wonders too... But I don't usually build the ugly ones. I've had restarts simply because I've decided my capital looked too ugly. Wish you could raze your own cities.

In one of my current games, tsl, my main force, Greek, has been liberating cities all over the place because I hate Civs dying off, but in this game I can't settle and then gift cities fast enough. So it was a march from Athens to Paris, up to Amsterdam, back to Vienna, over to Moscow where Darius had built a castle, north to free Novgorod from Sweden, back down to the Black Sea to free Munich from ghengis, sail south to liberate two more cities from Persia - and repopulate/upgrade force since I was close to home, then head east to liberate Delhi and Mumbai. Jeez. Meanwhile I've settled about ten cities for Spain, Portugal, France, India, Germany, Austria, and William.

Happily, as Greece, Darius is my main problem. Waiting to see if my proposed embargo of him will pass. He's making over 200gp a turn, and despite my peace treaty bounties from him, still has almost 20k gold. And my point of this game is to be the wealthiest civ based on 'sea trade' - settling nearly only all single tile island cities.

It's the giant not yet another map too, so these are not short marches. Started off when I had engineering, on marathon speed, took Delhi 2 techs into industrial. And Darius is happily spamming castles in (strategically) inconveniently located (for me) cities.

Fun game.

For me, anything below immortal feels impossible to lose. Even if you ARE roleplaying as long as you regularly keep your cities growing and make halfway decent choices (which I usually do even when roleplaying) then even an emperor AI can't keep up.

Immortal is usually what I play my terribly suboptimal strategies on. Deity on anything halfway decent. Below that the AI really can't intervene in your affairs because they just don't have the military presence or intelligence to launch a dangerous invasion.

Map characteristics matter though. PerfectWorld/large/epic/18 civs/18 city states, is MUCH more challenging on, say, King or Emperor than your continents/standard/standard/8/16. You are a smaller fish in a bigger pond, and it's much easier to do well, without becoming boringly dominant in the industrial era. I play exactly as the OP does, and these are just about the best settings for that kind of gameplay that is steadily organic and fun, for hundreds and hundreds of turns.

playing on king or lower tends to give me the most options in gameplay without diminishing the difficulty of the game too much.... I like playing on standard maps cuz my computer sucks. lower difficulties definitely helps for building the wonders and getting the religion u want without an out of control deity Ai spamming wonders and missionaries.

Hello. Newbie here - just found this forum today!! I first played Civ 2 way way back in the dark ages (1990s) LOL. I also played Alpha Centauri in the early 2000's. I finally got a copy of Civ 5 earlier this year and still have not been able to complete a game? Why? I love Maps and I love to explore. So every time I start up a new game, I have Spies, Barbarians and City states turned OFF. I just want to explore the world map, find all the civs - and once the whole world map is laid out before me (ie complete) - usually by the time the world congress starts - I stop playing. Managing a civ from then on is like watching grass growing - very boring. Of course I am still playing at Chieftain level, but still, I love exploring the map!! My favourite civs in these endeavours are Polynesia and Shoshone - one for the tiremes that move anywhere on water and the other for the nice large territories they claim whenever they found a new city!! My second tier favourite civs are Russia, Netherlands and Arabia. I avoid Shaka the Zulu, and Attila the Hun wherever possible. Oh and I have a particular order for building up my empires - Worker, granary (so they dont starve) settler, monument, Working boat if needed otherwise Tireme to start exploring. Research order is Pottery, Husbandry, either Sailing or Archery/Wheel. Ideology order is Tradition to start with and then Liberty all the way until Exploration comes into play. I find doing things in this order each time, allows me to build up a nice sum of gold and cities. But as I said above, once the map is complete, then I lose interest!! And of course as soon as anyone declares war on me, I'm outta there!! I quit the game and start over again.

Not at all, but the higher up the difficulty levels you go, the harder this approach is.

TBF, Civ5 isn't as bad as Civ4 in this regard. First of all, it looks so much better (the map is gorgeous when you turn off hexes and icons). Secondly, Civ4 felt much more like a highly complex mathematical puzzle than 5 does.

I find the opposite because of how slow borders expand and because large empires are so restricted. it's hard to "fill the map" in this game, leaving the world looking empty. Civ 4 I had an easier time getting it to look like maps you might see in a history book.

A while back, I was Aztecs going for a lazy Culturekilling VC, I had most of the southern part of the map colonized, and venturing north to kill off Siam and Polynesia; in the process I built a road around the World (and should be an Achievement) . Connecting all my cities, it was beautiful !

Then the Pan-American Highway mod came out a week or so, and 'Oooooh !', I felt disappointed .

Top Bottom