Don't make the same mistake!

erix

Warlord
As I read the threads about moderators, I feel to say something.
I'm also a member of MacOSx forum. 2-3 weeks ago some moderator over there felt like he/she is the god. Than half of the community went to other forums by deleting their accounts. Now it is a less enjoying place than it used to be before.
Civfanatics has a good community. It is not easy to build a place like this but it is really easy to lose people. Do not forget that a forums real "Kings" are its community not the moderators.
I just wanted to say do not make the same mistake here, please.

On the other hand, I've personally seen lots of good message boards collapse when the mods were too lenient on morons.
Once you start letting people behave like fools, all the intelligent people pack their bags and you're left with nothing but the idiots themselves.

You are right. I didn't mean let the people behave how they want.
I meant; moderate but do not play the god, do not play the untouchable.

Loud booming god-type voice:
WHAT? WE ARE INVINCIBLE, INFAILABLE, AND INFLAMMABLE!! WE MAKE NO MISTAKES!! ;)

Good point erix. Noted. Wish I had a spell checker to make sure that my god line was speeled correctly.

I meant; moderate but do not play the god, do not play the untouchable.
The fact that there is a calm, rational, correct way to appeal or complain about a mod means, de facto, a Mod is not "god" at CFC. :) Ergo, no excuse :hammer: for anyone to impale (attack) a CFC Mod, here or anywhere else! ;)

Originally posted by PaleHorse76

Good point erix. Noted. Wish I had a spell checker to make sure that my god line was speeled correctly.

Not your god line but sure your human line needs a "spell"! check. ;) :D

Originally posted by starlifter

Ergo, no excuse for anyone to impale (attack) a CFC Mod, here or anywhere else!

I think there is no excuse to attack "anyone" here or anywhere else!

Ideally the forums should be self-regulatory.
All posters should have a good idea of what the rules allow them to do and should make posts that fall within those boundaries. If anyone steps out of line then someone should give this person a friendly reminder (don't flame them!) and if this is not sufficient then the mods would take action. I don't like to see a stupid post then followed by a large number of other posts all saying "You're going to be banned for that", and I'm sure that others agree with me. It is only necessary for one person to tell an errant poster where they have gone wrong, and if they continue to trangress then the mods will take the action they see as appropriate. A message that says "stop spamming" is as spammy as one that says "spam spam spam spam spam, etc." and in the case of spam then a report to the moderator is the preferred course of action, rather than responses to the post in question. If spam is ignored then it tends to frustrate the spammer and they will sometimes give up, whereas responses are like pouring petrol on the fire.
Basically, everyone should exercise reason and self-control (a bit ironic given my post in the suchomimus thread ;)) and the forums will run fine. :goodjob:

Top Bottom