Doping in sports : how far should we go to stop it ?

AdrienIer

Deity
These past two weeks I've been watching the biathlon world championship (what a great sport : everything can change with every shooting part, and again with every skiing part). They've been excellent world championships, except for the first men's race (the sprint) which was won by Russian biathlete Loginov. The race itself was entertaining but Loginov's performance made everyone uneasy. First because he was suspended from 2014 to 2016 for doping, and second because his skiing times were much, much better than in the previous months (in mid january he lost a sprint to Fourcade by 44s, this time he beat him by 20s, both times neither of them missed a shot). Loginov's skiing times since his victory last week have been good too, but he missed too many shots to compete for victory.

It could have stayed that way, with only uneasiness about his performance, but this morning the Italian police went to the Russian delegation's hotel with a warrant, took some laptops and phones and interviewed the president of the Russian biathlon federation as well as Loginov's personal trainer.

I have no idea if Loginov cheated during those championships. Maybe he just focused on getting his peak in february, and found a way to make his skis better.

What's more important though, is how to treat doping. Loginov was suspended for 2 years, but ever since his return any special performance by him is seen as suspicious. I'm sure those who finished 2nd, 3rd and 4th of the sprint are thinking about whether they'll get their medal back in a couple of years (or maybe days ?). Even if he isn't cheating the situation is bad for the sport and for the athletes. Does it mean that those who are found guilty should be suspended for life ?
It also rises a separate question about what to do with russian athletes. Russia has been hit very hard with suspensions, like not being able to participate in international competitions like the olympics, but it doesn't look like they're doing anything to make it better.

Situations similar to Loginov's are also happening in cycling with cyclists like Valverde who came back after 2 years of suspension being as good as they were before. And people like Bjarne Riis, known for managing cycling teams that used doping, getting a new contract to build a competitive cycling team with his former associates.

And that's just with the sports that are actively fighting doping. Football (the world version, not the US version) isn't doing much to fight it.

So what do you think, should the cheaters be banned for life ? Should countries known for cheating be entirely banned for some time ? Are some sports putting their head in the sand ?

Countries which systematically promote doping in their athletes should be banned for a while.

On an individual level, do enough random testing to create an evident danger of getting caught. Bans
should start of relatively small, but ramp up rapidly with each successive offense. I think the bio passport
system cycling uses smacks too much of 1984.

Bans
should start of relatively small, but ramp up rapidly with each successive offense.

Do you think that's feasible ? It's so hard to catch them even once...

Well, there are PEDs aren't that difficult to detect - American football and baseball test for steroids and a few other things and there are idiots that get caught despite being on notice they can be tested randomly without advanced notice.

If you're referring to EPO, I thought that's what the bio passport was for; it made it obvious when they were doping. If it doesn't, then they should quit EPO testing and hope the elevated death rate for riders that use it will eventually become a deterrent.

Testing always seems to be catching up. I might agree that the first time, a reasonable punishment but the second time should finish it for you.

Top Bottom