DS GotW, July 13 - 19

dojoboy

Tsalagi
Since we don't have a DS leaderboard, I thought it'd be fun to have a central location for GotW results. We have a lot of flexibility (choose civ & difficulty level), so comparing games directly will be impossible. The GotW begins anew each Sunday.

Results to include:

Civ:
Difficulty:
Finish Date:
Victory Condition:
Score:
Leader Rank:

Quick question: I selected the GOTW, and then the game told me that it had downloaded, and I got to select my Civ & Difficulty Level, then the game started. I saved it, and it said it was of type: random map. I didn't finish the game (was just checking it out), then later I decided to try it again, and I got a different map. Shouldn't the GOTW always have the same map? Are the details for the GOTW listed anywhere?

Quick question: I selected the GOTW, and then the game told me that it had downloaded, and I got to select my Civ & Difficulty Level, then the game started. I saved it, and it said it was of type: random map. I didn't finish the game (was just checking it out), then later I decided to try it again, and I got a different map. Shouldn't the GOTW always have the same map? Are the details for the GOTW listed anywhere?

By chance did you grab the first save on Saturday or before, and the second d/l Sunday or after? The new GotW goes up on Sunday. What time Sunday, I don't know.

I'm almost done w/ this week's GotW. It's been fun so far.

Played it only one time.

Civ: Aztec
Difficulty: King
Finish Date: 2100 AD
Victory Condition: Domination
Score: 18,567
Leader Rank: 3rd

An interesting note: I completed the World Bank on the last turn. My advisor popped up saying we will win an Economic victory; however, I was given a Domination victory. If you win by the highest score, it is categorized as a Domination victory.

I enjoyed the game, which was my first attempt at the King difficulty level. The Japanese declared war on me early, and we stayed that way for a long time. The Arabs and Germans each oscillated wars against me. Once, I was against all three of them. I lost a city to Saladin & Tokugawa; however I conquered them back the next turn. The Greeks were very peaceful toward me for most of the game, even traded tech with me a couple times. Alexander did declare war on me once I began building the World Bank. I whittled Saladin down to 2 cities, as well as Tokugawa. Fun game. Oh, Saladin did complete a couple spaceship parts.

Alright, not GOTW, but it this was my first Emperor game. I got an excellent start with almost half of the land-mass to myself!

Civ: Romans
Difficulty: Emperor
Finish Date: 1980
Score: 22853
Leader Rank: 1st :)

I'm going to start on the GOTW next, and post my results.

FYI, there's a really cool GOTW site up HERE, includes the current week's map including starting locations, barb huts, etc. They haven't updated this week's map, maybe they wait until the end of the week?

dojoboy: I have created a sticky thread pointing to this (and any future) thread(s). I'm assuming one thread per week. Let me (or another mod) know when each week's is up, and we'll add it. :)

Will do, thanks Padma. Yep, one thread per week, unless someone starts offering lower prices. ;)

Just finished my game of the week, but I'm fairly disappointed with my score. The game doesn't work like the older Civ's where you get a bonus for winning before the year 2000.

Civ: Mongols
Difficulty: Emperor
Finish Date: 1730
Score: 23310
Leader Rank: 1st

If was was a better player, I probably could have won much sooner. I had 15 cities by the year 0, having wiped out the Germans in that year. What I don't understand is why the A.I. doesn't go after Barb Huts at all. I think I might replay it now that I know where all the stuff is :)

AI goes after bard huts, I see it all the time. Also when you take a bard hut and they tell you where the next one is, the game will remove the hut if an AI gets to it first, even if its in the fog of war.

The AI however does appear to have blind spots. I've seen barb huts and ancient relics right next to their cities. It must be a bug with the exploration sub routine.

Top Bottom