Dvd version + Steam version + Buffy + Bug. Can I have it all?

Revenant

Warlord
First off I have to say thanks to everyone for all the hard work with Bug/Bull/Buffy/Bat/whatever other variants I might have missed :)

Anyway I have both the DVD and Steam versions of BTS. I had the Bug mod installed with the DVD version so that it didn't need to be loaded as a mod to work. When I got the Steam version of BTS I was hoping to use this to install Buffy for Lan games with my brother. However they both seem use the same custom assets so even when I load the Steam version it has full Bug functionality.

So what needs to be done to get both installations to use two different sets of custom assets? If I need to reinstall either version that wouldn't be a big deal.

I guess, you installed BUFFY into My Documents\My games\Beyond the Sword\Mods or CustomAssets? If that's the case, both the Steam and DVD version share the same folder and therefore utilize the same BUFFY settings. You have to install BUFFY into the Mods folder in each versions' game folder (i.e. ...\Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods and Steam\SteamApps\common\Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods). You can still start up BUFFY automatically by editing the CivilizationIV.ini under My Documents\My games\Beyond the Sword and changing the line
Code:
; Specify a Mod folder (Mods\Mesopotamia), '0' for none
Mod = 0
to
Code:
; Specify a Mod folder (Mods\Mesopotamia), '0' for none
Mod = Mods\BUFFY (<- should be the exact name of the directory)

Oh, and any BUFFY remains in My Documents\My games\Beyond the Sword must be removed.

You can add "/altroot=<some-path>" to the shortcut that launches the DVD version (maybe for the Steam version too) to have BTS use a different folder to store the CustomAssets, CivilizationIV.ini, and all the other folders in the My Games / Beyond the Sword folder. Check out this thread for some details.

You'll also need to use the CvAltRoot.py file that's included in the BUG Mod's Info folder. It has instructions inside the file--just open it with Notepad.

You probably want to set up the Steam version to use the normal location and the DVD version to use an alternate location. For the alternate location you can merely create a new folder and move the CustomAssets folder to it. Also copy the INI file. Either way the entire folder and its subfolders will be created empty (the normal fresh install state) when you launch BTS.

Having some trouble getting BUG running using the Altroot command. I know the Altroot directory is correct as Civ created all the folders that would have been missing (saves, profiles etc.) but every time a start or load a game I get this:

Spoiler :

I'm probably doing something wrong with the CvAltRoot file, but I've tried a few different things with it and it always has the same result. Any ideas what silly mistake I'm making?

EDIT:This is the order of events if it's any help. I created a new directory at c:\Altroot\Beyond and placed the CivilizationIV.ini here. I set this directory in the desktop shortcut command for Civ. I checked to make sure this was working by running Civ, starting a new game and quitting (it was fine as it created all the folders that were missing in the new directory). I installed BUG 4.4 in the "Single player with Altroot" setting, with c:\Altroot\Beyond as the installation path. I edited the CvAltRoot.py file and placed it in C:\altroot\Beyond\CustomAssets\Python. Tried starting a new game but I keep getting the message that's shown in the image. Since that I've tried moving the CvAltroot file, changing the path that's stated in that file and a combination of these things but to no avail.

Did the BUG installer place a BUG Mod folder inside that altroot/beyond folder? Does that BUG Mod folder contain a UserSettings folder? If not, create them.

Code:
C:\altroot\
  Beyond the Sword\
    BUG Mod\
      UserSettings\
    CustomAssets\

Finally, post the line that sets the path in CvAltRoot.py here so I can verify that it's correct.

Did the BUG installer place a BUG Mod folder inside that altroot/beyond folder? Does that BUG Mod folder contain a UserSettings folder?

Yes to both.

Finally, post the line that sets the path in CvAltRoot.py here so I can verify that it's correct.

rootDir = "C:/Altroot/Beyond/"

I've tried playing around with this and it hasn't made any difference so I'm assuming this is where I'm going wrong

Follow the instructions to enable logging on the Troubleshooting page linked in my sig. Then start up the alt-rooted shortcut so it fails. Finally post PythonErr.log and PythonDbg.log here. They will be in the C:\Altroot\Beyond\Logs folder.

Here you go. Thanks for taking the time to help.

Had to Zip the logs as .log files are invalid for upload apparently.

Attachments

• PyLogs.zip
    6.2 KB · Views: 48
From the logs it looks like your CvAltRoot.py file points to your user dir:

Code:
Checking root dir 'C:\Users\Cathal\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword'

Do you happen to have multiple copies of CvAltRoot.py in the Python folders? I see that CvAltRoot.py is loaded, and there is a rootDir setting, and that setting is the path above.

1. Post your CvAltRoot.py here.
2. Look for any other CvAltRoot.py folders in the Python folder or its subfolders. There must be only one.

From the logs it looks like your CvAltRoot.py file points to your user dir:

Code:
Checking root dir 'C:\Users\Cathal\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword'

Do you happen to have multiple copies of CvAltRoot.py in the Python folders? I see that CvAltRoot.py is loaded, and there is a rootDir setting, and that setting is the path above.

I found another copy of CvAltRoot.py in C:\altroot\beyond\CustomAssets\Python\Contrib. Renaming the file seems to have alleviated all problems. It had the following lines in it:

# Generated by BUG Mod 4.4 installer.

rootDir = "C:\Users\Cathal\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword"

That would have been the original path for Civ4 stuff but when I installed Bug 4.4 I specified it should use the altroot installation and which path it should use.

Anyway it's working fine now so thanks for all the help!

Just an FYI, but you can install the steam version with the disk as well. If you look on your steam account, it shows a product key you can type in and bypass the steam BS if you wish. I had to do this as I don't like steam, but if you play online then you may need steam. but lan play shouldn't need steam.

Good luck
-=Mark=-

ps. I seen your name and thought it unusual, so I looked it up and it is a very interesting name.

Here's what it said:
CATHAL

Usage: Irish

Pronounced: KA-hal [key]
Derived from the Gaelic elements cath "battle" and val "rule". This was the name of a 7th-century Irish saint.

Top Bottom