(E&E) Civilization VI - City-States, Wave I

TyrannusRex

Warlord
New city-states come your aid in Sid Meier's Civilization VI!

Whether you trade with them, become their suzerain, or add them to your empire by force, you can't deny that city-states add a little something special to your games of Civilization. Your journey to victory wouldn't quite be the same without the little guys. Rest assured, the Enriched & Expanded Pack will have not one, but two waves of new city-states, one of the six types in each, to fill out the ranks of your potential allies... or enemies!

But before we reveal the contents of Wave I, we have to address the elephant in the room -- I mean, the Ivory two hexes over.
Two of Civ VI's longtime city-states, Armagh and Buenos Aires, have been upgraded to civilization status! So, what lucky cities will get to take over their slots and city-state abilities?

Replacing Armagh: Vienna
Vienna.png

(Demonym: Viennese)
Icon based upon the coat of arms of Vienna.

Vienna was chosen to supersede Armagh as your local Monastery supplier in honor of Austria's similarly extensive tradition of monasticism and cathedral-building.

Replacing Buenos Aires: Montevideo
Montevideo.png

(Demonym: Montevidean)
Icon based upon the coat of arms of Montevideo.

Much like Buenos Aires whom it replaces, Montevideo is a center of economic and industrial activity in South America -- and occupies roughly the same position on the Earth map.

Now, with that out of the way, let's introduce the "little civilizations" coming to our beloved game in Wave I!

Reykjavik
Reykjavik.png

(Demonym: Reykjavik)
(Reykjavik would be replaced in Norway's city list by Lillehammer.)

Suzerain Bonus: +1 Science, Food, and Production from Volcanic Soil, increasing to +2 if on Tundra or Snow tiles.

Havana
Havana.png

(Demonym: Havanese)
Icon based upon the coat of arms of Havana.
(Havana would be replaced in Spain's city list by Tarragona.)

Suzerain Bonus: Plantations built over Luxury Resources grant +2 Gold, increasing to +3 in cities with a Market or Lighthouse.

Sarajevo
Sarajevo.png

(Demonym: Sarajevan)
Icon based upon the coat of arms of Sarajevo.

Suzerain Bonus: Military Alliances provide twice their usual bonus. All Encampment buildings provide +1 Diplomatic Favor per turn.

Lhasa
Lhasa.png

(Demonym: Lhasanese)
Icon based on the flag of Tibet.

Suzerain Bonus: Warrior Monks gain 2 charges to spread your majority Religion. All religious units gain +3 religious combat strength.
(Much as in Civ V, Lhasa will be known by its more ancient name in the Chinese version of the game.)

Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi.png

(Demonym: Dhabian)
Icon based on the coat of arms of Abu Dhabi.
(And I couldn't quite get it looking as simple as I hoped.)
Suzerain Bonus: Oil Wells and Offshore Oil Rigs provide +2 Production and +2 extra Oil per turn.

Nineveh
Nineveh.png

(Demonym: Ninevite)
Suzerain Bonus: All Libraries and any buildings or Wonders with a Great Work of Writing slot provide +2 Science, +2 Culture, and +1 Great Writer point per turn.

Hopefully, you'll be able to make use of these city-states' unique talents in your future games of Civilization VI... just make sure that Pericles isn't looking before you send your delegations. Those cities are his!

Credits:
If I inadvertently lifted anyone's Suzerain Bonus ideas from this forum, I deeply apologize. Reach out to me and I'll be sure to credit you.
Reykjavik's longship and waves were scrounged from somewhere on the internet I neglected to write down.
Nineveh's lamassu was painstakingly created from Scredeck's lovely art on Dribbble.

Last edited:
Replacing Armagh: Vienna
[IMG alt="Vienna.png"]https://forums.civfanatics.com/attachments/vienna-png.661757/[/IMG]

(Demonym: Viennese)
Icon based upon the coat of arms of Vienna.

Vienna was chosen to supersede Armagh as your local Monastery supplier in honor of Austria's similarly extensive tradition of monasticism and cathedral-building.
Instead of Vienna why not Lindisfarne? It's a chance to get some Anglo-Saxon England reference in the game, considering there isn't one on the city list, and I'd associate that with religion and monasteries over Vienna. :)

Of course if you want to keep it Austrian, there's always Salzburg, a reference to the Sound of Music. :mischief:

Last edited:
Instead of Vienna why not Lindisfarne? It's a chance to get some Anglo-Saxon England reference in the game, considering there isn't one on the city list, and I'd associate that with religion and monasteries over Vienna. :)

Of course if you want to keep it Austrian, there's always Salzburg, a reference to the Sound of Music. :mischief:
*noise of sharpening axes*

Top Bottom