Emergent Leaders Module

azatote

Chieftain
The purpose of this module is very simple: add new leaders with the emergent mechanic to the game.
No download link here, the module is already included in the SVN version of Ashes of Erebus: it is disabled by default, simply enable it if you want to play with the new leaders.
I'm using this thread to post updates and information about the module. Feedback, comments, suggestions, ideas (even stupid ones. Especially stupid ones) and constructive criticism of any sort are always more than welcome!
Spoiler Current development :

• Available so far: Rigmora the Forgotten, Detlesias, Rizuruk, Angaad. Fully operational, all trait features working, tested and balanced. Pedia stories to be finished, diplo music to be added for Detlesias and Rizuruk.
  • Currently under development: Tethira, Aeriel, Shealnis, Angaad (the same leader, but with a different trait and civ). All the other leaders are currently at the drafting stage.
Spoiler Various links :

• Development sheet for emergent leaders, for the module as well as the main mod.
  • Still playing the "stable" (14.11) version of AoE? Then look at this thread.

Last edited:
Here's a description of the new leaders:
Spoiler Rigmora the Forgotten - available :

Hippus, neutral-evil.
Trait Incorporeal:
  • level 1: your palace provides Nightmare, mounted units gain Illusion.

• level 2: your mounted units fly and heal while moving.

• level 3: your mounted units cause fear, all your summoned units are considered as mounted units (and therefore gain the previous bonuses).
Background: the ghost leader of a host of spectral r(a)iders.
Spoiler Rizuruk - available :

Clan of Embers, neutral-evil.
Trait Matriarch:
  • level 1: - 15 % GP. When Orthus appears, he spawns as a Clan unit (though still at a random location on the map).

• level 2: Orthus can cast Escape, heroes gain +1 fire strength.

• level 3: Heroes gain Commander as a secondary unit class (+3 command limit, can get commander promotions) and Battle Command 1.
Background: basically the girlfriend of Orthus, also a charismatic warboss of the Clan of Embers.
Spoiler Detlesias - available :

Amurites, chaotic-evil.
Trait Pyromancer:
  • level 1: your arcane units with Fire 2 can cast Ring of Flames. Your melee and arcane units get a fire affinity (first strikes and defensive strikes).
  • level 2: your arcane units with Fire 3 can cast Pillar of Fire. You can Ignite Pyres in your cities.
  • level 3: fire affinity is improved (collateral damage). Your Fireballs, Fire Elementals and Pyre Zombies receive +2 fire strength.
Background: a crazed pyromancer, prone to burn everything and everyone.
Spoiler Shealnis Ethnor - coming soon :

Svartalfar, chaotic-neutral.
Trait Sylvan Shade:
  • level 1: replaces with world spell with the Ljosalfar world spell. Your treants always have hidden nationality.
  • level 2: reset your world spell and increase the duration of treants (10 turns instead of 5, from the world spell as well as from ancient treants). Your treants have March.
  • level 3: reset your world spell. Your can build treants as a national unit.
Background: a wicked priestess of the leaves.

Spoiler Angaad - available :

Bannor, lawful-neutral, overhaul of the already existing one.
Trait Warleader:
  • level 1: free promotion Corporal (melee, disciples)
  • level 2: commanders gain +1 command limit and give their minions +10% XP gain. Reduced level requirements for the Chain of Command promotions (master sergeant level 4, captain level 6, general level 10).
  • level 3: commanders und their minions receive 25% withdrawal chance.

More crazy ideas on the development sheet (link is above). I'm aware that my leaders are at the moment clearly evil-oriented, it is because I'm developing the leaders for which I have ideas I find good rather than trying to fill the gaps in the current leader choice.

Last edited:
I almost forgot to credit 25hour for his old module MoreLeaders, from which I recovered several ideas and many leader names and arts. Also thanks to black_imperator for his support.
Please note that my module is provided in English, French and German. Some errors may have occurred in the translation, please let me know if you find some.

Last edited:
Re Detlesias

I would like to propose a change :
  • level 1: your mages and druids get Fire 2 and access to Ring of Flames. Your melee unitsand arcane units get a fire affinity (probably first strikes and defensive strikes).
  • level 2: your units with Fire 3 can cast Pillar of Fire. You can Ignite Pyres in your cities.
  • level 3: fire affinity is improved (collateral damage). Your Fireballs, Fire Elementals and Pyre Zombies receive +2 fire strength
  • I would like to propose a change :
Why so ?
because with current amurites, Firebow have fire II, and many tier III and tier IV units have channeling II, and can be taught / earn Fire II : ergo: all firebows, and multiple other units would have access to RoF... that would be mighty OP (even more than just the mages)
it would be more balanced to remove he RoF from Firebow, and other tier II units and in exchange give fire II for free on mage upgrade.

The Pyromancer trait will not give Fire 2 to any unit, it will only give Ring of Flames to units who have learned Fire 2. However, you're right to remind me about Firebows; I'll limit access to RoF to arcane units.

that also work
great !

:D

Do you guys like to play with fire? Then rejoice, as Detlesias the mad pyromancer is coming in the revision 325 of the SVN. He's still lacking a proper diplomacy music, and I'll update his pedia story later, otherwise he's perfectly playable.

Currently working on the Bannor. I'm intending to design three emergent leaders for them (in addition to Capria, Sabathiel, Decius, Gaius Octavius and, on the longer term, Ophelia. Yes, it makes a lot of leaders for the same civ.):
Spoiler Tethira (Instructor): focused on unit training. :
As it stands:
- level 1: can build command posts, improve training rate (+30%) in cities.
- level 2: great commanders can recruit twice and build master buildings (master smith, master fletcher, etc.) with their recruit spell.
- level 3: additional +30% training rate, increase training caps of training buildings.

Spoiler Angaad (Warleader): focused on commanders and the flagbearer line. :
As it stands, will certainly be modified somehow:
level 1: free promotion corporal (melee, disciples).
level 2: give commanders +1 command limit & +10% XP gain for minions, reduce level requirements for master sergeant (4 instead of 5), captain (10 to 6) and general (20 to 12).
level 3: +20% withdrawal chance for commanders and minions (and/or free sergeant promotion for flagbearers).

Spoiler Aeriel (Canoness): focused on crusade and religious spells. :

aeriel.jpg

As it stands:
level 1: units gain randomly Furious in enemy territory (20% chance per turn); Furious randomly gives Enraged (8% chance per turn) and is removed outside enemy territory.
level 2: units gain randomly Blessed in enemy territory (25% chance per turn), improved promotion morale (+15% XP from combat, +10% spell resistance, immune to capture).
level 3: improved effect of the Blessed promotion (+1 first strike, +15% city attack), Priors (or maybe all high priests) can cast Valor. Reset your world spell.

I'll certainly implement Aeriel first, as Tethira's features are more complex and I'm still not sure about what I will do with Angaad.

nice.
I find Ariel to be (too) random
what about the same + : "25%chance get furious/blessed" after combat. (thus useful even out of ennmy borders... and a bit of control : the more you fight, the more chance you have of getting use of the trait.

I may also give a chance to gain Blessed outside enemy borders, though much lower (e.g. 5% per turn). I prefer keeping Furious and Blessed separate, as Blessed compensates the main downside of Furious, the -1 defensive strength. The basic idea is that the holy rage of Aeriel's crusaders give demagog cannon fodder a higher chance to win when attacking, but at a cost - weak defense, the randomness (only a fraction of the crusaders are blessed with Junil's fervor at a time) and a small chance to become enraged. And you can still use archers and recon to defend your stack. I'll need a couple of games to balance her abilities anyway.

A new leader is out! And at last there is some love for poor Orthus, who was so far being killed without mercy in almost every game. Now with his girlfriend and Clan leader Rizuruk around, his survival chances will greatly increase and he may even make the famous yet greatly exaggerated sentence "This powerful hero is responsible for the deaths of more empires than anyone in creation" become true at last.
The leader is not 100% finished yet, as I need to add an event to make Orthus leave the Clan the moment the savages declare war. However, she should be already enjoyable to play with.

I just released Angaad as a new emergent leader, with the trait Warleader (focus on commanders and the chain of command promotions). You can still play the old, uninteresting version of her by deactivating my module.

Here's a draft for Rigmora's pedia story, I'd like some feedback before adding it to the game. Also, tell me if you'd like me to translate this, I won't provide a translation if no one cares.
Spoiler Rigmora the Forgotten :

When the outriders reached the village, the fire had already almost ceased. Crumbled houses were consuming, producing the thin, slowly fading columns of smoke which had guided the company there. Crows hastily fled before the riders, disturbed while feasting on the corpses left in the deserted streets.

The Dural commander unmounted and began to give orders, sending scouts to search the surroundings while other men were ordered to bury the dead. Then he gathered his officers for an improvised council.

“We’re not to stay here any longer than we must”, he began. “We’ll leave as soon as the scouts discover in which direction the enemy has gone. They cannot be far ahead of us, a few hours to the most. This time we won’t let Tasunke escape, and we’ll make him pay for his countless offenses!”

“I’m not sure this is the work of Tasunke’s raiders, m’lord”, Delvin, his most trusted lieutenant, answered. “Out last report located his party three days of ride from here. Even a devil like him can’t move that fast.”

Another officer, who had just joined the group, intervened. “My lord, I have just been searching the body of one of the village defenders. He had been killed by a longsword’s blow, but he still wears a silver ring, and his purse hasn’t been taken away. Have you ever seen Tasunke’s bastards leaving without looting the bodies, even when they are closely chased after?

The commander didn’t look fully convinced yet. “Do you think there could be a second Hippus raiding party in the region? In any case, our duty is to track and destroy them, whoever they may be. We cannot let this slaughter be unpunished. Delvin, tell the men to…”

He was interrupted by two soldiers coming back, carrying a man on their shoulders. One of them announced: “We searched the surroundings, but couldn’t find any track of horsemen. It’s as if the enemy came and left by flying, m’lord. However, we found a survivor, though he’s badly injured.”

The poor man was indeed heavily bleeding. There was obviously no way his wounds could be healed, and he certainly did not have long left to live, yet he had time to tell them what happened to the village, and his story was worse than everything the commander and his officers could have imagined.

“They fell upon us… at twilight. Riders. A… One hundred, maybe two. But they were… no men. No humans. They were, gods be good… Ghosts, all of them, mounted on… dead horses. Strong, they were, there was… no way we could resist… their attack. I played dead… forgive me, milord… then I hid… it’s how I survived. And I could see their leader. A young girl, she is. A ghost too, glowing green in… her armor. She was very beautiful, prettier than… anyone I’ve ever seen, yet at the same time terrifying and… deadly. I can still see her… in my head, haunting my thoughts, denying me any rest. I know I am to die now, and I… am grateful for that, for my torment is to end.”

Having finished his story, the villager closed his eyes. His breath went slower and fainter, until it finally faded, while the Dural officers were still standing in circle around him, petrified by the shock of his dreadful story.

You were right about Aeriel Calavente, I tested her and found out that her trait was too random and underwhelming. She'll need a deep revamp, I keep it for later.
My next milestone is to create a python event 'onTraitUpgrade', so that I can notably reset the world spell of some leaders when they level up. However, I'm experiencing some issues with the c++ code, thus my progress is slow. I might be focused more on the Sheaim revamp than this module in the next few weeks.

As you guys have certainly noticed, I have been off AoE for some time and have hardly produced anything meaningful for the mod for some months. There will certainly be updates to this module someday in the near (or maybe the not-so-near) future, stay tuned.
In the meantime, here's some lore about an old friend, which will end up in my module as soon as I release the corresponding leader.
Spoiler A not so short story :

She woke up in an unknown room. White walls without any decoration, no furniture except her comfortable but plain bed, and no source of light to be seen, though the room was bright enough.

She tried to rise but the intense pain stopped her and she fell back on the couch. Though she had obviously been tended to and bandaged, her entire body was horribly painful. She closed her eyes and tried to remember what happened in the battle.

It had all begun well though. She had led her army all the way to Tongurstad, and the Bannor crusaders, though tired, were galvanized by the thought they were about to capture the last major Sheaim stronghold on the continent. They had the numbers, the experience and the faith on their side. The first assaults had been costly, but the soldiers had eventually taken foot on the enemy ramparts, and the Sheaim defenders were being pushed back despite the vain sacrifice of countless Pyre zombies. Victory was certain, she had thought then.

Then suddenly, a wave of fear spread among the crusaders as an immense shadow passed over them. One second later, a torrent of fire was raining over them, taking a huge toll among the attackers, as well as some unlucky defenders. The once iron-disciplined warriors instantly broke into a rout, as the black dragon fell upon them. The Sheaim soldiers regained courage and counter-attacked, driving the besiegers out of the battlements. The only thing Angaad could do was to try to organize a proper retreat and contain the losses, sending her last reserves to cover the others in their escape.

Then she realized she was in the frontline – or rather the frontline had come to her. She was trying to rally some men around her, cutting down some reckless Sheaim soldiers who went too far ahead of their comrades, and pulling back with the rest of her army. Before she could even think about moving, the dragon landed right in front of her. She could feel the heat coming from its gigantic mouth and see its massive fangs and its enormous eyes, darker even than its scales and full of anger and malice. She was frozen in place when the monster advanced towards her… and suddenly Brennen was there, sword in hand and interposing between her and the great beast.

It all became confused afterwards. She remembered her love being nearly cut in two by the creature’s giant claws, her running desperately for her life, maddened by both physical and psychological pain, and a powerful explosion just behind her. She had certainly passed out at this moment, been left for dead on the battlefield and been picked up and healed by – who? Certainly not the Sheaim. It wasn’t the Bannor either, otherwise she would lay in a temple of Junil.

Angaad opened her eyes again. A young woman with short brown hair and a strange, sophisticated dress was sitting on the corner of the bed and watching her.

“Greetings, my lady. Please stay still and do not try to speak, you are still too weak. My name is Maer, I am the Mechana Excelsior, the chief architect of the Mechanos. Our forces have found you dying on the battlefield. You are lucky that our techpriests are among the best healers in Erebus. You should have nearly fully recovered in no more than a few weeks.”

“How…?” Angaad coughed violently, unable to say any more.

“Our scouts have been watching the battle from the beginning, my lady. When we saw the Bannor rout, we decided that even though we are no friends of your countrymen, we could not let the demon-lovers slaughter them. We had a few mortars hidden behind the hills, which disrupted the overconfident Sheaim progression. A thopter charge wroke havoc among them, while airships brought some reinforcements to cover the retreat of your fellow crusaders. We didn’t manage to slay their dragon, but I can tell you that the black sorcerer paid the dear price for his victory at Tongurstad. And hopefully, this battle will change your leaders’ and priests’ mind about us ‘heathens’; maybe they won’t overlook our next alliance offer”, Lady Maer said with a slight smile.

Despite the amazing skill of the Mechanos priests, her recovery had been difficult. Even now, her right arm was still hurting, though she suspected it now contained more metal than bone. The medicine she was taking was soothing the pain but had side effects; she was told she might develop an addiction to this strange substance that they call ‘refined mana’. Since her face and hair had been partly burnt by the dragon’s breath, she had to permanently wear a mask that was specially designed for her. She was getting used to it though; and the special goggles that the techpriests mounted on her mask had made her vision keener than ever.

She had thought of going back to the Bannor, but she couldn’t. She would be tried for her failure before the enemy, accused of desertion and the technology and medicine which had saved her life would be declared heretic. There was no doubt she would be sentenced to death.

Anyway, she was not sure to be willing to go back home anymore. Her beloved Brennen was dead, and she was realizing how rigid and oppressing the Bannor empire had been. During the last weeks of her recovery, she spent her days visiting the Mechanos empire – their cities, landmarks, countryside, and their libraries, where she learned much about their culture and technology. There she could read books from all around Erebus, that were either declared heretic in Bannor lands or restricted to the confessors only.

What struck her the most with the Mechanos people was how much freer and happier they looked compared to Bannor citizens. They had free access to knowledge and culture and more importantly freedom of thought, without priests constantly searching for seeds of heresy among them. They were allowed to follow any religion too, even though most notables were worshipping the machine spirit rather than the gods. Even their military was composed of a majority of volunteers and a handful of convicts, rather than the immense Bannor levies of conscripts.

Slowly but surely, Angaad started to enjoy her new life among the Mechanos. She got sick of inactivity though and decided to offer her services to Lady Maer. After all, she hadn’t lost her skills as a commander, and the war against the Sheaim was still raging, more violently than ever. If she couldn’t go back home, at least she could continue to fight for the good. This time however, with Mechanos steel and guns behind her, it would take much more than a single dragon to stop her.

Last edited:
Top Bottom