Empirical Failure

kochman

Deity
My first game on Emperor (continents, marathon)... I use the Byzantines (with Constantine as my leader). I have a nice start, and I crank out Stonehedge and the Great Wall, while 1/2 rexxing... then move to full REXing. My neighbors are peaceful enough types... Roosevelt and Ramesses II.

The land is quickly swallowed up by us all and Egypt has the most land. Roosevelt is the tech leader by a long shot, and SPAMMING WONDERS like you can't believe in his capital (Colossus, GLH, Great Library, Oracle and some others I can't recall at the time).

Finally, I develop cataphracts, and start building up for the big rush. I can hypothetically reach Washington in 2 turns, attack on the 3rd, bypassing NY. I take the strategy of having my SoD of Cataphracts rush up to Washington, while my seige units and other 1 move units move on NY. This completely fools the AI, and Washington is barely defended. On the 3rd turn, after several sacrificial Cataphracts, I have the wonder capital. A couple of turns later, I have taken NY also. This basically broke his back, and I was able to more or less cripple him and then re-declare later to take all but the detritis.

Finally, I meet the people from the other continent, and notice that we are lagging behind, while A Caesar has a big lead over Peter, Saladin, and Brennus, his neighbors.

Well, I also see, at this time, they have a huge tech lead, but nothing insurmountable. I have become the power leader on my continent at the expense of America, all is fine.

A Caesar declares on me out of nowhere, and launches an international invasion. His sneak attack with muskets and cannons lands him a coastal city, but not for long. I re-take Trebizond and buy peace.

Saladin offers me a defensive pact, which I accept. Shortly afterward, Rome DoWs again. I was just rebuilding my defenses from the last battle, and this time he has come with artillery, riflemen and cavalry! I am still on muskets and cataphracts! But, I have clear supply channels, and after he takes one city, I painfully, at the cost of many a cataphract and much whipping, take back Trebizond - again.

I sue for peace... A Caesar won't even think of it, if I were to give him a city even! Bad news.
A couple of turns later, Saladin capitulates to AC and sides against me... great.

A few more turns later, the SoD I was fearing arrived, and its full of infantry, artillery and cavalry... needless to say, my demise was clear at this point... and I retired.

Guess its back to Monarch for me for a while.

Its pretty much a bad sign if Caesar won't even except a city. I guess he wanted your head on a pole instead. :(

Got to give you credit for attempting Emperor though. I'm still dealing with Prince level. :D

Well, I got my revenge, in a big way, with my first emperor win (2nd try).

I used Napoleon of the French... rushed Sury right away, and to the north in the icy lands was Lincoln, Charlemagne to the south... I knew he would be a problem, so I started building up to crush him...
Joao, Montezuma and Zara were to the south. This would become a problem, because Joao made Monty his vassal, and the two of them were a royal pain in the butt.
Long story short, I eventually beat down Joao enough that Monty split from him, divide and conquer.

On the other continent was Qui and Izzy, Qui vassalized Izzy... I was the first to discover astronomy/their continent, so I became their target... several idiot coastal seizure attempts were beat back, until I finally decided to go on the offensive on his continent during the modern age...

Then I won a diplomatic victory while crushing China...
Huzzah! Dare I try a harder level?

Ouch... that hurts, it was a big snap in Roosies back when you took washington.... :)

Ouch... that hurts, it was a big snap in Roosies back when you took washington.... :)

He should have built less wonders, and made himself less of a target!

I played a 3rd game on emperor, with JC of the Romans... won domination in 1544AD... earlier than I usually won in Noble!

He should have built less wonders, and made himself less of a target!

I played a 3rd game on emperor, with JC of the Romans... won domination in 1544AD... earlier than I usually won in Noble!

hahaha... proper Roman fail... :D

won Domination against a Imperialistic? lol... dude has some hax xD

but who were you?

Top Bottom