Ethnic Diversity (Development Step: postponed to Civ7)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great plan.

For land animals, I'd make them weaker with the ability to sometime retreat when attacked, but I'm not sure if it's possible with the current modifiers.

finally i got some time to read again what you wrote :)
and i would like to tell you what i think about it.
Some of the animals could be weaker ( Dingo, Jackal for instance), while other animals i would like to remain relatively strong ( Lions, Hippo, Tiger for instance)
for the weaker animals i would also like to have them retreat when attacked...i have to see if that is possible.

But even without the ability to retreat, I'd suggest to maybe spawn them more frequently, but weaker: IMO it's not a problem if the animal unit die in the attack, just doing a bit of damage would be enough for their purpose.

more frequently spawning...that could be a problem. i for one want to have those animals in my game, but i dont want to have them fill too much of the map.
I need to do more of testing before i can tell for sure if that is possible or not.

regarding the weaker than currently thing...for me its okay for some units as told above, and with the current combat strengths it depends on the opponent unit, whether the animal will die and how fast the animal will die, as always in Civ.
a Giant Death Robot will not have any problem with a Tiger, while a Warrior will have :) but i think it would not be realistic, if a Warrior unit would be able to kill a Tiger or Hippo with one or two times of Attacking.

If possible I'd also only make some of them able to attack military units (ie packs), the other would be a nuisance only for civilians (send them back to cities when attacked), and if it was possible, I'd give them abilities to pillage only specific improvements (like those over animals resources).

yeah, if possible, that would be a really cool idea =)
i imagine only the stronger animals are able to attack military units (again, Tiger, Lion, Hippo, etc.) while the weaker animals mainly pillage specific improvements...
sounds cool...now it only must be possible.

i only dont fully understand what you mean by „send Civilians back to cities when attacked“? but when i understand that right, then this would be interesting too.

For sea animals, I'd also make them weaker with being only able to attack wounded units, except for the kraken.

hm. hm, hm, hm. :D
That makes actually sense! have to look if that is possible, i hope it is without using lua...as i am currently a „zero“ with lua, but i learn it already.

but here again, as the reason for adding Sea-Animals was to have a more dangerous and mysterious Ocean...i would add more Exceptions than just the Kraken.

Thanks for all of the Suggestions :) and feel free to tell me what you think

I thought it would be time to tell anyone interested in the mod project, that i needed to put the mod aside for the last weeks...but now, because most of the work for „my“ (it was not only me, a lot of cool people helped to make the Wildlife mod possible) side project „Civ6 Wildlife“ is done, i already continued to work on „Ethnic Diversity“ now. The Project is NOT dead, and i make progress everyday again now, but because it was put aside the last weeks, i will not be able to complete work step 1 for Ethnic Diversity by fall 2019. i simply need more time for that. Thats what i wanted to say. But still, the plan is:
-complete work step 1 for Ethnic Diversity
-then start with coding
-when coding reached a stage where all the new civs and units are ingame( though without leader artwork and probably without abilities, traits, etc. ) then start to bring the Ethnic Diversity unit models into the game. thats the plan.

Can't wait, Shiro! I'm grateful for all your work.

Thank you so much, thats good to hear!

But i am unsure now whether i will complete the mod project for Civ 6.

We have the following Situation:

1. the „Rise of Empires“-part of my mod...that means Civilization, but in the Ancient and Medieval eras...but there is already Anno Domini, which is a wonderful mod.

2. The „Ethnic Diversity“ part of my mod...but there will be „Warfare Expanded“, with nice unit graphics.

3. the main-reason for my doubts: i am working on the Ethnic Diversity-part in all my free time, and still have only 33 civs prepared, when i want to do 48-50 civs...this only for the units, not for buildings and not for Leaders and not for Wonders. This simply means the preparations ( not the actual production) for the mod takes so much time, that i actually think it would be best, when i would make those preparations with a lot more time, but for a possible Civ 7, not for Civ 6. I feel like i started the Preparation too late for Civ 6.

Long speak short sense: i tend to feel like it would be better to move this project to a possible Civ7 in the future, which would give me more than enough time to prepare the mod, plus i could ( if Civ7 will actually come out) start with the actual production weeks or months after the Civ7 release, and not years after a Civ6 release.

One thing i learned at least, i will never again announce a mod project in this early stage. I will not announce something, even when Civ 7 is out. When i have something to release, then i release it, otherwise i will not announce something before i actually have something to release. Thats in any case

but for now the mod is not dead, i am just unsure if it makes sense for Civ 6.

Please tell me your thoughts.

Oh, I've been there before. Big projects always take a lot more work than you originally anticipate, and your schedule and inclinations always change over time. My advice would be to only continue modding so long as it brings you joy and you anticipate the results! There is no shame at all in trying again next time for Civ 7. Thanks for your earlier Japanese units mod!

Thanks for your reply. You are right, but Its not decided yet. i think about it for now

Difficult to give advice, except confirming that modding is about doing what please you first.

So I won't propose to do it civ by civ instead or globally, or to join either Anno Domini or Warfare Expanded.

And I won't propose to temporary move on something else to change things a bit, you've done it already :D

Just, I'd say that development time is not lost, especially if it's planification of a very large project, nothing prevent you to test things on one version of the game then really develop it for the next.

My civ5 mods prepared my current civ6 big project, and if the source code is released too late for civ6, I'll port it to civ7 if it's more open to gameplay modding, or move it to another plateform. Or stick on civ6 and wait for civ8. or 9...

I mean, there are modders still developing on civ2-3-4-5, and not feeling the need to move on.

Thanks for your reply, Gedemon :)

Development Time is not lost, that is particularly true. And your best idea here ( in my opinion) is that i could test things in 6, and really developing it in 7. I have some ideas i should test actually. But i will see...maybe it is best to do the work i would need to do in any case, no matter whether i will then implement the graphics in 6 or 7 and when that step is done, then decide. Maybe this is best here.

So „Rise of Empires“ is dead, while „Ethnic Diversity“ is still alive. After some certain real life problems i had to deal with, i am working on Ethnic Diversity already again. Again, no promises, we will see.

So what i call „the Preparation Step“ for Units is done. Now the Preparation for Buildings can start soon. I would like to have everything prepared before i start to implement that. That Implementation of the stuff will start at the beginning of the next year. In Spring 2021 i hope to have the first ingame screenshots to show.

Thought about it, and the plan is, when they are ready, i would like to release Graphics Packs. Packs with the ED-Graphics of maybe 3-5 civs per Pack.

Project description is updated, (page 1). also, @maconnolly joined the project, we will work together on this project.

Just stopping by to check in, say hello and provide a simple 'update'.

@ShiroToraRyu and I are in conversation regularly and going through the motions of mapping out the different parts of the mod; including designing how it will all 'fit together' at the end.

Whilst a big part of this mod will be about individual-civilization flavour, there are some 'common' components and we've got the framework for this coded. It's nothing major at this stage - but we've got a functional mod that introduces a few key Technologies to the tech tree and a small number of commonly-available Units (with placeholder graphics).

Shiro has put a lot of groundwork in on the 3D modelling side of things; I am on-board to assist with some of the non-visual elements of coding. So my updates will likely focus on implementation - over time, the 'pretty' stuff will no doubt be unveiled by Shiro.

On a personal level, it's a great project to be involved in and we both think the outcome will make for a more rewarding Civilization VI experience.

Hey everyone,

I thought about it the past weeks,
and Today I already told the following things to @maconnolly and now i will inform everyone about that: I will stop Civ6 Modding.

To quote another modder here, mixed with my own words: I will stop modding for civ6, yes, but I definitely will not stop this project.

The goal is to prepare everything now, and then be ready for implementing the stuff to a possible Civ7.

Of course I could add only all the prepared Unit models to Civ6, but that would require a whole lot of time, time i can better invest to prepare everything for this project, which will hopefully fully prepared if and when a possible Civ7 releases.

And, additionally, i really need the time to prepare and create all the stuff i want to create, i speak about additional years, not months.

To quote the other modder again, mixed with my own words again: I understand that I shouldn't have announce this project without anything to show, but I honestly never had thought 3 years ago that this project would grow so much, would therefore need that much time, work, and that my „Skills“, which allowing me to create things i never had expected to be able to create, would also grow so much, making more things doable in the future.

Was it a mistake to start this project? Definitely not!

I learnt so much, as i said, now so much things are possible and reachable for me, which is something i never expected three years ago. And thats not the end, i will continue to learn and improve my skills as much as possible.

Therefore, i think it is the best decision to do so, without Civ6, and concentrate totally on preparing everything for a possible Civ7.

If i am right, then its all worth the wait. Hehe.

It is entirely my decision, maconnolly accepted it and perhaps we will working together in the future. We will see.

If you want to have cultural Diversity for Units in Civ6, and doesnt know it already: Let me recommend you the mod „Warfare Expanded“ for Civ6, they are doing an amazing job with this unit graphics.

I apologize for announcing a project for one game, and then not going to release even one little thing for that game, but as i said: i‘ll stop modding for civ6, but i’ll definitely not stop this project.

I will continue to work on it, but for a possible Civ7, not for Civ6.
Therefore, will see you all when the time has come.

Regards,

Shiro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom