Events

Ploeperpengel

academic precarity
What about Events in the game. I'd like to have events both "historical" WH-history that is of course which I don't know much about and random
like Warpstorms or seldom a warp meteor maybe leaving behind randomly scattered warpstone resources.

This should be a good thread for fluff of all kind. Any ideas?

Ploeperpengel said:
What about Events in the game. I'd like to have events both "historical" WH-history that is of course which I don't know much about and random
like Warpstorms or seldom a warp meteor maybe leaving behind randomly scattered warpstone resources.

This should be a good thread for fluff of all kind. Any ideas?

I really really REALLY like that idea .. in another thread I already posted 'the coming of chaos' idea. At a certain point in time the gates of the Old Ones on the poles of the warhammer world collapsed and opened a gateway to another dimension. The world was flooded with Daemons and covered with a layer of dust that mutated everything it touched. (I'll post the real fluff later ;) )

It sounds nice to me to let this happen at a random point in time. Every turn there's a small chance that the gates collapse and when that happens Daemons can spawn anywhere.

The only thing to stop the spawning is is The Vortex. This magical construction was build by Caledor to keep the Daemons in the outermost regions of the world. To keep it historical we can only let the Elves have the possibility to build it, otherwise everybody gets a chance. If the latter, maybe it's possible to give the Vortex a range, so the builder gets the most profits for it.

ps: I'll also check some other armybooks for nice 'one of a kind'-events. For common events we could indeed use Warpstorms.
pps: I don't think the plaque is a nice idea as an event. It would be nicer if it was something that can be spread by Skaven (Assassins throw it in the well) and followers of Nurgle.

i like the idea of random events, and really like the idea of the Gates collapsing. also like the Vortex idea for only elves, or perhaps slann.

there should also be a thing called The Appearance of the Great Maw (an Ogre affected special ability) which opens a 'hole' that goes through the earth and pops out the other side, and if it ends in a n ocean square, it fors a Maelstrom or giant whirl pool or something which sucks up ships. and perhaps also make a 'land whirlpool' around where it appears on land, which draws prey towards it.-- just an idea;) will post fluff when i find some.

And i also think that plague should be a skaven ability or wonder.

OK, I like the thing with the Gates collapsing - before that event we could have only Norse Barbs, afterwards also a lot of chaos (more than the Norse before).

The Vortex should be buildable by everyone, so the Player also gets a chance to react to the Storm of Chaos if he plays as another race. The Vortex should be a wonder with very high cost (so Chaos stays very strong at least for some time) Or you need to use one or even two of your heroes to build this Wonder (High-Mage plus Mage?), if this is possible like for the first Golden Age.

Duke van Frost said:
OK, I like the thing with the Gates collapsing - before that event we could have only Norse Barbs, afterwards also a lot of chaos (more than the Norse before).

The Vortex should be buildable by everyone, so the Player also gets a chance to react to the Storm of Chaos if he plays as another race. The Vortex should be a wonder with very high cost (so Chaos stays very strong at least for some time) Or you need to use one or even two of your heroes to build this Wonder (High-Mage plus Mage?), if this is possible like for the first Golden Age.

It really is a good idea to let a mage (special character) build it. It won't consume the unit but i will be stationary for a while. It's more reasonable to give anyone the possibility to build it, built only one should be build in the whole world! And I still think the range (will be a big range) is a very good thing too :mischief:

actually, in the fluff, all of the mages involved with the vortex had their souls trapped inside it for eternity, battling out their last fight against chaos for ever. so the high mage that builds it should in fact be 'sacrificed.'

Psychic_Llamas said:
actually, in the fluff, all of the mages involved with the vortex had their souls trapped inside it for eternity, battling out their last fight against chaos for ever. so the high mage that builds it should in fact be 'sacrificed.'

didn't know that .. well .. then they should be sacrificed .. altough that is a high cost to pay (in combination with a lot of hammers) .. cause characters will be pretty rare .. would anyone still build the vortex?

DutchJunkie said:
didn't know that .. well .. then they should be sacrificed .. altough that is a high cost to pay (in combination with a lot of hammers) .. cause characters will be pretty rare .. would anyone still build the vortex?

If the Chaos Barbs are really tough and spawn directly in your borders - I think yes, you would still build it.

But I´m not sure if we can combine GP´s and Hammers to build something or if we even should do it that way :confused:

And I wouldn´t range it, because the Vortex sucks out excess Magic-Energy from the WH World - that´s why Chaos is weakened and can´t advance much further than the Wastelands.

For the Meteors that spawn Warpstone: the Resources of Warpstone that come with these events should deplete much faster than the other ones, if we do this.

Duke van Frost said:
If the Chaos Barbs are really tough and spawn directly in your borders - I think yes, you would still build it.

But I´m not sure if we can combine GP´s and Hammers to build something or if we even should do it that way :confused:

And I wouldn´t range it, because the Vortex sucks out excess Magic-Energy from the WH World - that´s why Chaos is weakened and can´t advance much further than the Wastelands.

QUOTE]

exactly:D I think that, yes people would build it (I certaintly would) but perhaps make it a special ability only for all of the Elven Archmage heroes and the slann. no one else, as they are the most ancient of races.
Making it a world wide effect would be huge! and would make all of the good races a little happier with its creater.

Psychic_Llamas said:
Making it a world wide effect would be huge! and would make all of the good races a little happier with its creater.

So it must give a + in diplomacy to the creator .. which is another good reason to build it! good thinking guys!

We MUST be careful to not make this mod recreate warhammer history in every detail, because that will limit the number of options for the player. in vanilla can only the egyptians build the pyramids? can only the french build the eiffel tower?

If we script the game so that it copies warhammer history then why bother playing? you might as well watch a movie.

Lord Olleus said:
We MUST be careful to not make this mod recreate warhammer history in every detail, because that will limit the number of options for the player. in vanilla can only the egyptians build the pyramids? can only the french build the eiffel tower?

If we script the game so that it copies warhammer history then why bother playing? you might as well watch a movie.
No worries. I want to make some Wonders and maybe events unique but we certainly should leave the majority of that pretty generic. Warpstorms will certainly affect all. Though some races will be able to profit from that better than others. For any event that is civunique we should make sure that other civs get something similar. And we might find some wonders/events that are generic in a restricted way. But that's really future talk right now anyway.

In the old thread there was discussed a concept to have quests. Such as the search for the holy grail for the bretonians. If we ever include something like that it would be silly making this generic. Orcs won't quest for it. But it would be adding funstuff for the Bretonians if we find ways to make the quest appear differently each game. That we should keep in mind. If we include Events that are civspecific they shouln't be fixed and be allways the same. I agree Olleus that would be boring and not worth the effort.

Ways to do this(I stick to the Grail now) is for exanple letting it appear in different locations each time you play(also if it's the same map of course). And having false grails also randomly spawned(and guarded) which just put you in danger trying to get them. Of course only Questing Knights can find Grails(for any other unit they should be hidden as well as the Guardians. Maybe we can trigger something like that later if we're going to focus on the Bretonians). What do you think?
But well now it's future talk.

Yes, i agree on that also Olleus, and i hope what im saying isnt coming accross like that. I think each race should get at least one Wonder that only they can build. some 2 if they are more inclined to building wonders. but all of the other wonders will be totaly generic.

EG. Oak of ages for Wood elves
The waaaagh for Orcs and gobbos.
The pyramid of eternity and black pyramid for Khemri.
etc etc

Psychic_Llamas said:
Yes, i agree on that also Olleus, and i hope what im saying isnt coming accross like that. I think each race should get at least one Wonder that only they can build. some 2 if they are more inclined to building wonders. but all of the other wonders will be totaly generic.

EG. Oak of ages for Wood elves
The waaaagh for Orcs and gobbos.
The pyramid of eternity and black pyramid for Khemri.
etc etc
the whaaag is no wonder but psychology here;)

Top Bottom