Ever Added Your Own Music?

Pipian

Chieftain
As I'm starting to get interested in extending the music possibilities in Civ IV, I'm curious if anyone else has stumbled upon good tracks for each of the eras? I know I can link in my own music directory, or play iTunes in the background, but that doesn't actually link new music in with each era, and that's what I want to hear about from the guys who have (as it's what I plan to do).

So for those of you who have extended the soundtrack, what have you added?

I myself haven't added anything yet, but I've been tossing around a few ideas that seem to work well:

Renaissance Era:

- I. Introitus - Requiem (from Mozart's Requiem in D minor)
- III. Allegro (from Vivaldi's 'Il Sospetto')
- 2. Andante (from Mozart's Symphony No. 31 in D)

Industrial Era:

- I. Vysehrad (from Smetana's Ma Vlast)
- II. Vltava - Die Moldau (from Smetana's Ma Vlast)
- III. Sarka (from Smetana's Ma Vlast)
- 3. Allegro, ma non troppo (from Beethoven's Appassionata Sonata)
- 1. Allegro con brio (from Beethoven's Waldstein Sonata)

Modern Era:

- 3. Allegro agitato (from Gershwin's Pianoconcert in F)
- I. Primo vere: Veris leta facies (from Orff's Carmina Burana)

Even a few modern non-Classical songs work with Adams's Modern Era music as they're ambient, post-rock, or suitably experimental/electronic and without (prominent) lead vocals:

- Untitled 4 - Njósnavélin (from Sigur Rós's ( ))
- The Winter Solstice (from Sufjan Stevens's Songs for Christmas)
- Out of Egypt, into the Great Laugh of Mankind, and I shake the dirt from my sandals as I run (from Sufjan Stevens's Illinois)
- One or two things from Sufjan Stevens's Enjoy Your Rabbit

The Modern Era music is just awful. ( The music included with the game ). It just doesn't fit. Your choices look good :)

I being a Jazz fan, would enjoy putting some Monk, Coltrane, Miles Davis, Sonny Rollins, stuff like that into the Modern Era mix, although if you want modern sounding classical music try Philip Glass. I also think "Rhapsody in Blue" is a must for the modern era.

Yeah, I've actually got several monsterous folders that serve as my custom soundtracks. One for peacetime, three for war (depending on how well it's going), one containing several variants of the Final Fantasy victory music, and one for the last few turns before victory. Even though I'm a metalhead, I can't play videogames with heavy metal in the background, so my folders are formed from a mixture of video game soundtracks and classical music.
I'd never actually though to arrange them by era, though. I may just start experimenting with that. When I first heard Bioshock's music, I thought of it as "like Civ IV's modern era, but way more awesome," so it could fit there... I've got some classical music as well, I'll mix those bits in with the appropriate eras.

sometimes i use age of empires 3 music

Top Bottom