Exclude a Civ from a Game

yellowdartfrog

Chieftain
When setting up a game sometimes there are civilizations I don't want to play against. But there doesn't seem to be an option to exclude a certain civ from a game.

The only way of doing this seems to be to choose every single opponent. But this detracts from the mystery. I like exploring and finding out who I'm up against, but at the same time I don't want to get half way through a game and bump into someone really annoying if I leave it on random.

So in Advanced Setup, beneath the civilization selection boxes I would very much like to see a set of boxes to exclude civs from your game.

Is anyone else keen to see this?

There are certaintly civs I would rather not play against. It's sometimes tedious to preset all the other civs, not to mention it ruins the surprise, and it's highly annoying when you need to regenerate the map but the option is not there, so you must redo your civ selection. It would be a small feature to streamline things, I think. I would appreciate such a feature very much, but just being able to regenerate the map would take priority.

I like all the civs so I probably wouldn't use this but, if you can think of a convenient interface, I wouldn't be opposed to it. At a minimum, it also helps ensure compatibility with people who don't have specific DLC so you can ensure that your multiplayer matches line up.

I really like this idea, I don't think I'd use it much.
But for some maps specific civs just start out with a big disadvantage, it could be good to rule them out from the setup.

If they impliment this they have to make sure you do not have the possibility to rule out more civs than there are playing or you could end up against several Ghandies.

I've been wanting this since civ 4. I would like to be able to exclude some group of civs and still have random opponents. Especially now with the # of civs going way up. It would also solve a problem of people disliking a certain civ being included. All the hubbub about Sweden being another Euro civilization can be solved by letting them turn off every European civ they want to.

Personally I would like to be able to chose all ancient era civs and randomize it while excluding more modern civs.

I would like it personally, I dont think the Iroquois people were equals to the Huron in the east and the Mississippian tribes to the south and the natives of the plains to the west, they may have had some important roles to play in the New World but their largest cities were, and still are hiccups compared to the other nation they share a stage with. I dont think the Iroquois are at best worthy of City-State when compared with other civilizations reduced to city-states by CiV V or not even mentioned (Brazil, Zulu, Poland/Prussia, the Hitties, Carthage ect).

I am unimpressed with the Iroquois culture to be completely honest and I think if you include them as a major nation then you must be scraping the bottom of the barrel because this culture produced no great wonders, had a though time with their neighbouring tribes, were hopelessly behind in technology and were essentially the English empires economic slaves in the same way the Huron were the French's. There are more impressive Canadian natives like the ones from British Colombia (west coast) which carved some magnificent totem poles and had copper shields and much more impressive homes which had wooden planks for building material. The Iroquois were devastated just as quickly as all the other native tribes after they helped conquer Quebec City and were sent home with the gift of smallpox from the English forces (a few immune soldiers cut up blankets with the smallpox spores and packaged them in boxes for the Iroquois...the English even had the nerve to tell them not to open the boxes till they got home, so that the British who hadn't been exposed yet wouldn't get infected)...Something I personally think is a crime against humanity to use biological weapons against civilian populations but CiV isn't really built around that.

I am not saying that the Iroquois were insignificant or unimportant to the region, but I do think its giving them way to much credit to put them on the same level as China, England, or India while saying countries like the Netherlands with the Dutch East Indies aren't even worth mentioning. Especially when (at least in my games) the Iroquois swallow these civilizations like some weird version of the Mongol invasion.

To any who might say that the Iroquois were important because they controlled a lot of land I would have to say that the people on the land make it mighty. The land they occupied back then and still now has a pretty low population density and is/was highly dependant on foreign trade to meet every day needs. I should know I live in Brantford, and learned Iroquois history as part of Canadian history. I am proud to be Canadian (especially when its hockey time in the olympics) and we have always been impressive at certain things for having such a small population, but there's only so much that a country can do with a total population that could just fill an abandoned tokyo

The Rise from Erebus team did this in their Civ4 mod. One of them might have some idea of how to implement it.

I'm a fan of this idea, if only for one reason: playing a terra map and having an AI spawn as Polynesia. Instantly ruins the game.

This is definitely a great idea.
I have had it happen so many times that the civ I get on random is the one I didn't want.

Top Bottom