Expansion Queations

shpeka

Warlord
With the release of civ 6 I'm pretty confident civ 5 is in stable mode.

Thus I am thinking of buying it on Steam.

Modern games with tons of DLCs can be a bit confusing, though. Which expansions do I need?
If I get BNW, do I need GNK?

The map and civ DLC I don't really care about. For me anything above 12-15 civs is overkill anyway.

At this point I would get a pack with all DLC/Expansions. You can find it cheap on sales, and I believe it is the best deal anyway. For example, currently on steam if you just get the base game and BNW expansion it would cost 60 euro, but a pack with all DLC and expansions is 45 euro.

I think you can get BNW without GNK. You only miss out on some civ, and the game mechanics is updated. I don't recommend it though, as having more civs is better. Each one has some unique flavor and lead to different strategies, adding more value to the game. I can't really imagine the game without Inca, Maya, Spain, Sweeden or many other civs that are included in BNW or other DLC. You would also be missing out on two wonders: Temple of Artemis and Mausoleum of Halicarnassus which are included only in the Wonders of the Ancient World DLC. The civ DLC usually add some scenarios also, and some are quite interesting, so that is another reason to get them..

The DLC map packs are really useless, and many don't have them so if you decide to get it by components you can safely skip these.

It is not all the civs that matter, it much expanded game mechanics. Basically, GnK added religion and BNW added Ideologies. Both have a huge impact on the game scope.

^What @beetle said.

Also;
... For me anything above 12-15 civs is overkill anyway.

The number of Civs needn't be thought of as overkill. You pick which one (of 43) for you to play, you pick the number of opponents (from 1 to 42), and you can pick who each of the chosen opponents are. I started playing CiV about 3 years ago, and there are still Civs I've never played.

I will say that with IV, I felt no need/desire to play all the civs, just because they did not really feel all that unique from one another.
I have played each and every V civ, and I appreciate the UU every game, even though I agree, it seems like the number of civs available is just silly!

At this point I would get a pack with all DLC/Expansions. You can find it cheap on sales, and I believe it is the best deal anyway. For example, currently on steam if you just get the base game and BNW expansion it would cost 60 euro, but a pack with all DLC and expansions is 45 euro.

I bought Civ 5 a few weeks back. Paid £8.49 for the complete edition. This include all the expansion packs and the DLCs. Why would you pay 60 Euros for a game that is 10-11 years old? Shop around!

Maybe Civ 4 leaders were not greatly different but you were not so tied back in the warfare and elements of the game play. Tall vs wide in Civ 5. Plus warfare where you have to encourage other leaders to capture the AI city for you.

Once you learn how Ccity states are great for stealing workers on higher levels. Rinse and repeat with scouts.

Rifting off @Gumbolt’s comments above...
  • Agreed, you can find V complete edition for not much money. I think it goes on sale about four times per year.
  • There are lots of IV vs V threads, so I will try not to go down that road, but I have gotten lots more play out of V than I did with IV or III (or BE). I am still waiting to try VI. I don’t expect to bother until it is offered cheap.
  • Stealing workers from CS is weak play IMHO. A better strategy, for most games (even at Deity), is to save your one-free-CS-DOW for late game opportunities. This ties to why I think V is such a good value. Even after one “beats Deity”, there are still lots of interesting play experiences.
Edit to include the Amazon link, $17.20! Maybe that is the usual not-on-sale price nowadays?

Last edited:
I bought Civ 5 a few weeks back. Paid £8.49 for the complete edition. This include all the expansion packs and the DLCs. Why would you pay 60 Euros for a game that is 10-11 years old? Shop around!.
Yes Steam has the game at a very high price, unless a sale is on. I only gave them as an example that the complete edition game is cheaper than just buying the base game and BNW separate.

Top Bottom