Extract GR2 Animations into Blender and Re-Import to Civ V/Civ BE

Here are some pictures from granny viewer, based on the projectile bone up left it looks like vanilla animations have coordinate axes rotated 90 degrees relative to x axis, but I'm unsure what to exactly rotate here, the mesh, the fbx export setting axes or the armature

Attachments

• grannyviewer_problem_own_anim.PNG
    grannyviewer_problem_own_anim.PNG
    199 KB · Views: 45
  • grannyviewer_problem_vanilla_anim.PNG
    grannyviewer_problem_vanilla_anim.PNG
    192.1 KB · Views: 45
I think the bones rotate 90 degrees bug that Nomad or What had earlier in the thread has somehow returned. I downloaded Blender 2.49b and an older version of the scripts and everything seems to work, at least in Granny Viewer

I think the bones rotate 90 degrees bug that Nomad or What had earlier in the thread has somehow returned. I downloaded Blender 2.49b and an older version of the scripts and everything seems to work, at least in Granny Viewer

Bear in mind that Nomad or What was using Blender 2.49. I have only really every used Blender 2.49 to make animation edits due to the type of issues you are running into with Blender 2.7 FBX export. It seems that the 2.7 FBX export is rolling the bones by 90 degrees or something - probably this could be resolved by editing the script but it could be complicated to work that out.

One option would be to do all the animation work in Blender 2.7 then save your .blend file with Legacy Meshes Format checked, then open in Blender 2.49 and export to FBX from there.

Last edited:
Bear in mind that Nomad or What was using Blender 2.49. I have only really every used Blender 2.49 to make animation edits due to the type of issues you are running into with Blender 2.7 FBX export. It seems that the 2.7 FBX export is rolling the bones by 90 degrees or something - probably this could be resolved by editing the script but it could be complicated to work that out.

One option would be to do all the animation work in Blender 2.7 then save your .blend file with Legacy Meshes Format checked, then open in Blender 2.49 and export to FBX from there.

I see, thanks for the advice! I'll start using 2.49 for the export then. Thank you for all of your work for the civ5 modding scene!

I see, thanks for the advice! I'll start using 2.49 for the export then. Thank you for all of your work for the civ5 modding scene!

Unfortunately I've realised that won't work because loading the 2.79 .blend file in 2.49 discards all the animation key frames. So that leaves figuring out how to change the 2.79 FBX export script so that the result is the same as the 2.49 one.

Unfortunately I've realised that won't work because loading the 2.79 .blend file in 2.49 discards all the animation key frames. So that leaves figuring out how to change the 2.79 FBX export script so that the result is the same as the 2.49 one.

Yeah, it seems to do that. It's not a huge problem for me personally since I'm just trying to make a small edit to a pose. However, based on my experience it seems to me that if one wants to make a custom set of animations for a model on 2.79, they have to remake all the animations they want for the model, to conform to the different rotations.

Top Bottom