Failed to Save game

Agent Orange

Chieftain
I have browsed these forums for a short time now and can't seem to find anyone adressing this problem. Since I cannot search I haven't checked every thread out there, but a lot anyway.

My problem is this:

500 years or so, into the game, when I attempt to save it will tell me that the game is unable to save. Doesn't matter where or what I name my file. Of course I then quit the game and attempt to load my save, which it refuses to do, telling me that the save isn't valid. What I then do is load a save a couple of turns before I couldn't save and I'm allowed to play for another 10-15 turns before I get the same problem again.

I have installed both the Conquests patch 1.02, Civ 1.29 and CivPTW 1.27f. (I don't know if there any specific order in which you have to install the patches, though?)

I have also reinstalled the game 5 times but the same problem pops up.

Maybe I'm an idiot who's overlooking something plain and simple, but I just really need to get this thing to work!

Please help me.

Can you be more specific?

i.e.

Did you start this game in Civ3 Conquests?
Was it a saved game from vanilla Civ3? PTW?
Do you have a screenshot of what's shown? (error messages, etc.)
Do you have a gamesave (this would be extremely helpful) before this happens? (Include the steps you took - if possible - before the problem occured).
Can you write down the steps to reproduce this bug? (use the guidelines).
If this was a vanilla civ3 game, did you try saving it in PTW, then in Civ3 Conquests?

I'm sorry. I'll try to be more specific.

I saw the guidelines but I felt like this problem was too general to fit with the guidelines, since it occurs in every single game I play in either Conqests or PTW.

This is how it looks when I try to load:

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads6/Whenloading.JPG

The extension was .JPG, not .jpeg. The filenames are case sensative.

Now a funny thing happened when I tried to produce a screenshot of the errormessage I get when saving. I found the game to run without bugs or error. But of course I didn't "do" anything in the game either. I fortified all my units and just let time pass until I would get an erromessage when I would save (Approx 10 turns normally). So perhaps this error is determined by turns, but by time. Real time. Since I didn'et act in the game, much less time passed between turns.

But I'll play on, and I'll see if I'll get another error soon, and if I do I'll post it.

Thanks so far.

It should be jpg, not .jpeg. Use an Internet format like .jpg or .gif to post images. Also keep in mind that the filenames are case sensitive. Also, post the save, even if it seems corrupt to you. Like Catt said below, maybe it's your harddrive space, and it may or may not happen on other computers.

You can get the same save error if you don't have enough hard drive space for the save.

Check how much free disk memory you have - delete some old saves.

Ahh Silly me about the picture! thanks!

I have 8 GB free, so I don't see that being a problem?

But if/when I get another error I'll post something.

It's a long time between posts, but I'm getting an error that looks near-as-dammit the same. Did this ever have a solution posted? I'd really like to find out.

'Lo Turner,

The short story:

My game is the Civ3 Complete that came with the packed goodies in "Civilization Chronicles" - I'm pretty sure this is version 1.22 of Civ3 - Conquests.

The actual pics as below. Please note they are of different files - I destroyed the original when reinstalling Civ - but otherwise the problem is identical:

First I can't save it ...
Save Error - Failed to save game.JPG

.. and then I can't load it:
Load Error - Not a valid save file.JPG

The problem has a symptom, which is the extraordinary size of the faulty file compared to its predecessor:
Big difference in file size.JPG

It's a bit of a headscratcher.

Actual *.SAV attached.

Attachments

• Cleopatra of the Egyptians, 1100 BC.7z
    725 bytes · Views: 267
Sorry - I also meant to say that the file DOES save, despite the error message. However, it is a super-sized file that won't load (re: symptom mentioned in prior post.

TTFN

Have you used any editors on the game? I have heard of them corrupting the game and not being able to save or load. I would expect that to not affect any saves prior to the use of the editor.

'Lo vmxa - RE: editors - No, none at all.

'Lo Aabraxan, - RE: repeated saves - I tried that for the same and subsequent turns, and it didn't work. All that happened was the 'Save Error' message popped up, as before, and the super-sized save files began accumulating; all of which generated the 'Load Error' message.

Prolly nobody looking at this thread anymore but i've had the same thing happen, but only if i forget the "," after whatever i'm naming the file

Top Bottom