Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Quintillus

Restoring Civ3 Content
Supporter
AKA, I get to try out a poll in XenForo...

Hopefully I covered most bases with the above options. I know it doesn't cover every option, and I have a few browsers installed that aren't on the list, but maybe 90%?

Edit: Whoops, forgot Edge. Added it before any votes were cast!

My current favorite is Vivaldi. It's not the fastest in UI response time, but I really like the direction they have with adding lots of built-in features, and not catering to the common-denominator. Their keyboard shortcuts in particular win me over, but I also expect that they'll keep adding features in the future and make it a more useful browser.

My second-favorite is Opera. But it's Opera 12, not the current Opera. Again, it's because of the built-in customizeability and features, including keyboard shortcuts. It's long in the tooth now, but still works for most websites, including CFC (and is what I use most of the time on CFC). Although Opera is starting to add some interesting features to the current version again after several years of playing catch-up with their old version - the battery-saving options and built-in ad-blocking are two notable recent features. Opera 12 is also fairly light on resources.

My third-favorite is Firefox. It's very customizeable (though less so than Vivaldi or Opera 12 without extensions), and very reliable. However, they've removed several significant features in the past year, notably Firefox Panorama and Firefox Hello, that have me wondering how long their new features will last before being removed. While admittedly I didn't use those features often, they were nice to use on occasion, and I'd rather have a browser that lets me do 95% of what I do than 85% of what I do. Still, Firefox is reliable and with a few add-ons to bring it close to feature parity with Vivaldi/Opera, it's my main browser at work. And I do like that it's built by an organization that doesn't have an operating system or search engine they're pushing above all others, as most of the other browsers do.

I use Chrome a fair amount for web development at work, but never really got why I'd prefer it over Firefox for browsing unless there was an extension I needed that was only available on Chrome, and as I don't use Google as my main search engine, there doesn't seem to be much reason to switch to it (and I could always set Google as my default in other browsers too). Maybe Chrome's rendering speed is a bit faster, but these days as long as you aren't using IE, it doesn't really matter, and I've found user interface and shortcuts save me more time overall.

Last edited:
Browsers I use, in ranking of preference:

1. Firefox. Open source, works pretty great, good extension library. Only mobile browser to support uBlock Origin.
2. Vivaldi. Supports all Chrome extensions, but is more feature complete and doesn't include Google crap.
3. Chrome. I have a couple installs of Chrome specifically for Google services and Facebook, so that I can allow only the scripts for those services and not have them pollute my regular browsing.
4. Edge. Use for MS services and for stuff where medium mode uBlock on Firefox doesn't work. Wipes cookies/cache on exit. Only browser on Windows Mobile.
5. Safari. Pretty dumpy, but included with macOS so sometimes I use it. Best browser on iOS. No uBlock/ABP, so it's only practical on ad-free sites.

I used Opera for ages, from version 5.x to 12.x, which I stuck with for nearly a year after they switched to Blink. Switched to Blink Opera, but dumped it after they announced sale to China. I don't trust Chinese software or hardware vendors. Would only consider using Chinese software if it was entirely open source. (Or Chinese hardware if all of the software on it was open source.)

I only use Firefox. Have for years. Before that it was Netscape. Pretty much never used anything else.

I use Vivaldi. I switched to it from Opera. I have Chrome on my desktop, but never open it.

Chrome has always been my go-to, although I used Firefox and liked that too. Edge is actually really nice, but is pretty bland compared to Chrome and Firefox.

Top Bottom