Favorite Settings

Isn't that funny, when on deity difficulty a minor civ spawns and gets to sedentary lifestyle first?

Any recommendations for settings that make the game harder for the player relative to the AI (other than difficulty, of course). I'm wondering how I might increase difficulty by a smaller jump before going up another difficulty level.

How does the AI deal with realistic siege? Like, do they know to bring siege weapons, or does this make the game harder for the AI?

On an unrelated note, what exactly does revolutions do that isn't in the base game (cultural revolutions/flips, civil unrest from unhappiness)?

On an unrelated note, what exactly does revolutions do that isn't in the base game (cultural revolutions/flips, civil unrest from unhappiness)?
Revolutions will end up crippling the AI. It's sole purpose is to take strong AI and break them up. Any thing else it does is window dressing. This is why I never recommend it. Because it's base premise has never changed since it was made way back in 2007/2008 when it 1st started.

On the topic of difficulty, where can I find a description of the difficulty levels?
Maybe I should add a difficulty category to the pedia... Don't think the diffs are explained anywhere, you could look at the xml file that define them though (...\Caveman2Cosmos\Assets\XML\GameInfo\CIV4HandicapInfo.xml), you might understand what most of it means in-game.
AI is the same for all difficulties, we don't have worse code that is used in replacement of good code or vice versa based on the difficulty.

I need to modify the length of golden ages for new minor civs using the handicap info for that pull request, but there is no tag that fits. It might be nice to have some sorta generic tag maybe.

I need to modify the length of golden ages for new minor civs using the handicap info for that pull request, but there is no tag that fits. It might be nice to have some sorta generic tag maybe.
You have the code work our a formula based on the handicap level and call the Golden Age initiation function I setup and reported to python that has a parameter to represent a % of the normal length of a golden age. There are a lot of scaling values in handicap infos... perhaps an existing one would be appropriate to indicate the % of normal golden age length you want to call for? Or even an inverse %?

No need to do anything fancy, just apply the same modifiers that are used for golden age.
GC.getGame().goldenAgeLength() * std::max(0, 100 + getGoldenAgeModifier()) / 100;

Or rather pPlayer.getGoldenAgeLength();

Difficulty has never affected golden age time for any player, so why should it affect the golden age length that a minor civ gets when emerging from barbarians?
New civs doesn't really have golden age modifiers (except for gamespeed) as those only stem from wonders.... Unless the barb city they emerged in had one of those golden age modifying wonders that is.

Just going to share the settings of my current game, and see what others think about them.

Emperor
Large map
All C2C Combat mods
World map
Medium sea level
Old world start
Default resources (75%?)
100% rivers
Default hills and peaks
Temperate
Pangea Breaker
No brokering
Realistic siege
No animals in borders (probably changing this next game)
Barbarian World
Complex Traits
Developing Leaders/Traits
No positive traits at start
No negative traits at start
Alternate History on
Realistic Culture Spread
Advanced Nukes
Advanced Espionage

I probably missed something, but I'm not sure what... I'll update this post when I get home, if I missed anything. Anyway, do these seem like balanced options? Are there other settings I should have on?

I'm sad Unusable Mountains are gone

C2C_SmartMap, no continents (all fragments), Many Peaks <--- That manage to produce a map I liked.

The most notable
Realistic Culture Spread
Barbarian World
No Random Events
Realistic Culture Spread
Happy Malus from Overspreading
Developing Leaders and Increasing Difficulty are the most notable ones. I loss track of what the difficulty is at because there's no indicator I've found

I often do Culturally Linked Starts, but it seems to not work in some settings.

I loss track of what the difficulty is at because there's no indicator I've found
Two ways. Mouseover yourself in scoreboard. Other way is in Settings tab under Victory screen (left panel)

I'm sad Unusable Mountains are gone
Its not gone.

Its integrated part of mod now.

When did we ever have "Unusable Mountains" as an Option for C2C???? Vanilla BtS mountains are not usable.

We had Usable Mountains as an Option for sometime as it was an Aforress AND Option he created. You researched a certain tech and like Mountaineering and then you could use mountains. That was incorporated as a default for c2C.

Yeah I didn't remember which the option was called. The Mountaineering tech can be such a dramatic change for some maps. I understand explorer types and non combatants crossing any mountain at a certain point, but mountain ranges remain highly relevant in Real Life.

Also, I stopped using Start as Minor Civ. I'll just start a war to explore pass someone's border. I think the main appeal of that option is to have the AI at war with the player. It's not worth handicapping the AI.

Also, I stopped using Start as Minor Civ.
We did have a Warning out about SaMC Option Not being Recommend to use. Do not know if it ever got fixed or not.

Top Bottom