Favorite Voice Actor?

Tani Coyote

Son of Huehuecoyotl
Do you have any favorite voice actors? Ideally, these are people who don't really do much in the way of actual in-person acting, and thus are primarily voice actors.

Some of mine:

David Humphrey(voice of Shadow the Hedgehog from 2001 to 2005, when he was unfairly canned by Sega) - He's only done two videogame roles to my knowledge, and he also voices Count Vlad in Press Start Adventures. Simply by merit of voicing one of my favorite characters, he gets bumped up fairly high.

Clancy Brown(Mr. Krabbs(Spongebob Squarepants), Baron Praxis(Jak II), Numerous characters in Jackie Chan Adventures, Trident(Teen Titans), Lex Luthor) - Being physically imposing in person and possessing a very menacing and deep voice, Clancy Brown is a very good voice actor for just about any villain.

Vic Mignogna(Edward Elric in FMA) - His voice of Edward Elric was all it took to seal the deal for me. He is also in person a very nice person who will do just about anything for his fans... including voicing yaoi scenes. Yikes!

Ryan Drummond and Junichi Kanemaru - These two are grouped together because they had the same role - Sonic the Hedgehog. Drummond was canned alongside Humphrey and the original cast in 2005, but Kanemaru still has his role. Kanemaru also has singing talent in both Japanese and English, and that gives him a few bonuses.

Jim Cummings(Pete, Winnie the Pooh, Tigger, Dr. Robotnik(Sonic SatAM), singing voice of Scar in part of "Be Prepared" and of Rasputin in "In the Dark of the Night") - Cummings has done an enormous variety of voices, both inside Disney and outside. He voiced Winnie the Pooh and Tigger, he gives us the voice of the buffonish Pete, he gives us the menacing voice of SatAM's memorable Dr. Robotnik. With his ability to replicate voices and sing good enough, he deserves a position fairly high up among voice actors.

Thread incomplete without Billy West, the best voice actor in the Universe :scan:

Like seriously, what is all that crap you listed in the OP? Those aren't real voice actors! Billy West crushes them all, without even lifting a finger!

This isn't the "best" voice actor, it's your FAVORITE voice actors. Those were my favorites, and if Billy West is yours, that's fine.

Again. Favorite. Meaning favorable to you. Whether it's favorable to anyone else or not doesn't matter. :p

I have to say Rob Paulsen and Jim Cummings, just because they're the most ubiquitous. It's hard to watch anything without stumbling across one of them.

Oh yeah...Keith David for Goliath.

not really (primarily) a voice actor as outlined by the OP but Stephen Fry (new Alice in Wonderland, Harry Potter audio books, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Little Big Planet) makes me positively giddy.

I agree that Billy West is better, but I don't think this thread would be complete without mentioning Hank Azaria.

...or Jeremy Irons, one of the few acceptable Brits in showbiz

"Are you pondering what I'm pondering, Pinky?"

A shout out to The Brain, another Futurama alumnus, Maurice LaMarche. He plays Kif Kroker and the narrator on Futurama ("You watched it! You can't unwatch it!") as well as numerous other voices on the show. I love him pretty much solely for Kif and The Brain though, probably his two most famous roles.

I have to say Rob Paulsen and Jim Cummings, just because they're the most ubiquitous. It's hard to watch anything without stumbling across one of them.

Indeed. Paulsen voiced Antoine in SatAM. They really are ubiquitious aren't they.

...or Jeremy Irons, one of the few acceptable Brits in showbiz

"I know that your powers of retention... are as wet, as a warthog's backside... but thick as you are... PAY ATTENTION! My words are a matter of pride..." He made that song epic. :love: And of course, Jim Cummings even sang part of it! Epic x 2!

"Are you pondering what I'm pondering, Pinky?"

A shout out to The Brain, another Futurama alumnus, Maurice LaMarche. He plays Kif Kroker and the narrator on Futurama ("You watched it! You can't unwatch it!") as well as numerous other voices on the show. I love him pretty much solely for Kif and The Brain though, probably his two most famous roles.

Maurice LaMarche voiced one of the main antagonists, Sleet, in Sonic Underground, so I can get behind this.

Robotnik's voice was REALLY dull in SU(They canned Jim Cummings but of course re-hired Jaleel White to do Sonic.. and his siblings too!), but Sleet's voice definitely made the villains better. Plus Sleet seemed more like the real villain at times, given that he did all the dirty work.

Robotnik has always been one to just plop his fat self in a chair I guess... :dunno:

Plus I've heard those other roles too, so I can agree. It's good he can be both villains and good guys. Some people, good as they are, tend to qualify only as one or the other. Typecasting FTW?

Ooo! How could I forget Phil LaMarr?

Besides his Futurama role(Hermes), he's the voice of Green Lantern, and also voiced countless people in the Jak and Daxter games, such as the Krimzon Guards and Sig, but, like some typecasted guy, he's voiced just about every main antagonist in the series. He voiced Count Veger, one of the main jackasses/antagonists in Jak 3, Mizo/G.T. Blitz( main antagonist of Jak X), Duke Skyheed(main antagonist of Jak and Daxter the Lost Frontier), Kaeden(main antagonist of Daxter). In sum... he voices the main villains of 3 games, does a side villain in 1 game, and has roles in yet another. 5 of 6 games. Dang.

Ooo! How could I forget Phil LaMarr?

Besides his Futurama role(Hermes), he's the voice of Green Lantern, and also voiced countless people in the Jak and Daxter games, such as the Krimzon Guards and Sig, but, like some typecasted guy, he's voiced just about every main antagonist in the series. He voiced Count Veger, one of the main jackasses/antagonists in Jak 3, Mizo/G.T. Blitz( main antagonist of Jak X), Duke Skyheed(main antagonist of Jak and Daxter the Lost Frontier), Kaeden(main antagonist of Daxter). In sum... he voices the main villains of 3 games, does a side villain in 1 game, and has roles in yet another. 5 of 6 games. Dang.
Let's not forget half the cast of Samurai Jack. (As La Marr himself noted, there's a certain irony to the fact that the "star" voice actor spent most of his time on minor characters.)

Billy West is definitely on my list, and Tony Jay has a voice which is simply unrivalled. It's such a pity that he passed just as voice acting began to come into it's own as an art. I'm going to throw Richard Epcar in there as well, if only because Mister Batou is very much a favourite of mine.

Let's not forget half the cast of Samurai Jack. (As La Marr himself noted, there's a certain irony to the fact that the "star" voice actor spent most of his time on minor characters.)

How did I forget that? :( I loved that show. :cry:

Tony Jay has a voice which is simply unrivalled. It's such a pity that he passed just as voice acting began to come into it's own as an art.

Everytime I hear his name, Hellfire plays in my head. Same curse Jeremy Irons suffers from. And Jim Cummings. Where they are forever condemned to be remembered for a song. :lol:

He also voiced MegaByte, so a huge chunk of my childhood there...

Mid-life crisis mode. :(

Top Bottom