Feedback from New Player

Breez

King
Been playing FFH2/FF/RifE/Orbis/Lena for a long time. Familiar with the genera.

I have noticed in this version early in the game I run out of buildings to build and have nothing left to build buy units, this is running 100% research so I was getting new stuff to build asap.

I CAN'T build anything but units. I can't NOT build units. I had a game where I had 15 warriors sitting in my capital as well as 4 workers improving units outside my BFC in preparation for City of a Thousand Slums because everything in the BFC was already done. I mention this because I had all the workers I could use.

I play with the no settlers option, but I play with that option in the other versions too.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying this is a bad development, and I know I could rush with that force if I wanted (not my play style). I just noticed there is a significant difference in this version.

I don't know if this is caused by the reduction in the cost of buildings, or something else but the end result is MANY more units early in the game. So many I ended up building one then deleting it just to try and keep maintenance costs down.

I thought about increasing my difficulty level but that would slow down research time not production and would simply expand on my issue and I noticed I am getting out tech'd by the AI as it is.

Anyway I don't think something needs to be changed necessarily, just a big difference between this version and others that I noticed. (I would love to see a tiered gold/research/culture option like FF has % goes up as you build buildings or get techs but is available from the beginning, but not a huge deal)

That's interesting, I haven't really encountered this any more in WildMana than I did in vanilla FFH, but I do play with Settlers so that may make the difference.

Just out of curiosity, could you tell us the following?

1. What Civ were you playing?
2. What difficulty level?
3. What Barbarian settings (Raging, etc)
4. What game speed?
5. What was your general research path early game?

1. Amurites and Kuruites (centaurs sorry I spelling isn't my strong point lol)

2. I play Noble. I know that is lower than most people play, I am not a max/min player and I do win at this level pretty easy in other versions, but it is fun and that is what matters to me.

3. Game one: Raging Barbs, Extra Animals, AND Dragons... Turned Dragons off in the second game. Not barb world in either game.

4. Normal Game speed (I should verifiy this when I get home because that could really make a difference)

5. My research path is typically and was roughly for these 2 games,
- Mysticism for Elder Councils
- Fishing if I am on the coast and was both times I love the Hearn's Throne. One game had clams right off my city so had 3 work boats for them and 2 fishing villages, one of which discovered more clams so I made 2 more work boats to get the clams and replace the Fishing Village in another square
- Agriculture
- Hunting
- Mining
- Writing
- Found a religion, I think both games I went for The Order

I built both the Bone Palace and Hearn's Throne as soon as they were avilable and was at 100% or 90% research the entire time.

I am a builder type player. I turtle up and am not aggressive.

I must admit I do not play FFH2 much anymore. Since I found FF I have been playing the modmods and basically ignored FFH2. Love the Ranged combat option, cant play without it anymore :) In the various modmods I typically have 1 or 2 workers, 1 or 2 scouts, and am lucky to get more than 3 warriors defending my city because I am busy build all the buildings/wonders. I know that isn't the best way to play, hence I don't play harder difficulty, but my style is the same game to game, not sure why I am seeing a different result in Wildmana. Going from a total of 5-8 units world wide to having 20+ was a very noticeable change to me.

Did I happen to pick techs without buildings or have some buildings been added in the other modmods that I don't have available to build in Wildmana?

Again not suggesting something be changed just mentioning a large difference I noticed.

Looking at your research path, you're grabbing techs that unlock improvements, with only mysticism and writing unlocking buildings. If you grabbed calender/festivals/drama, you would unlock many more buildings/wonders. Similarly, grabbing writing/code of laws/warfare would unlock several more buildings. The problem here is that you grabbed improvements, then went for a religion that is on a rather long path to get too. Grabbing more nearby cheaper techs would unlock more buildings, or higher cost units that would take more time to build. Either way would solve the problem that you're complaining about.

-Colin

Not complaining about a problem, just noticing it is different than other modmods. I follow roughly the same path on them and get very different results.

one thing I would like to see is being able to use Awakening of the Dragons and have them spawn in the same way other animals do... having them suddenly spawn in the middle of my territory is really annoying. could they be added to the base modmod, having the gameoption only allow them to spawn everywhere? that would definitely not unbalance the game, seeing as they come pretty late anyway.

Not complaining about a problem, just noticing it is different than other modmods. I follow roughly the same path on them and get very different results.

As you've noted, the building costs in Wildmana were tweaked down to some degree. I guess this would probably be the difference you're seeing if it's different from other modmods. As others have pointed out, the no settler option combined with a non-building research path contributes.

If you get outteched by the AI but run out of things to build, maybe you should make more commerce improvements and less production related?

I got further in my Centaur game, have 6 or 7 towns now, between that and trading techs, It isn't an issue anymore

Just early on. I think the biggest difference is building cost and not many buildings in the techs I pick. I wonder if it is also because less passive training buildings like I am used too from RifE and FF. I make the barracks/jousting field now, but is only one building (and a wonder) instead of 5 separate buildings.

Top Bottom