First Time Ashes of Erebus Player

Mknn

Prince
Diving in. What do I need to know?

* Is there a summary of changes/enhancements?
* Are there any threads I should read that would be particularly useful?
* Any important gotcha's to be aware of off the bat?

First things first, Welcome ^^

The changes are extensive, as Ashes of Erebus is a follow-up to Rise of Erebus which was itself a follow-up to Fall Further, so there's three mods worth of content ^^

An important thing to note is that there are two versions, the Release version and the SVN version. The Release one is generally more stable but has less content and bugfixes than the SVN one which gives you access to the updates as soon as we work on them ^^.

The mod also uses an extensive module system, meaning that some of the content can be deactivated easily.

In term of actual content, you'll find reworks of the core ffh civs, some new civs, new leaders, an improved fort, lair and commander mechanic, and others. Your FFH instincts are still mostly valid though.

Finally, beware of the wild life which is generally harder than ffh. Very early game should be about reinforcing your defences.

If you have any question, i'm available to answer them.

Yeah, I've played FFH a ton and FF a fair bit, although not for years. I guess the question is if those reworks are detailed anywhere--in release notes or a wiki or whatever?

I am on the Release version, but certainly could hook up the SVN one if that is recommended (would it break a savegame?).

Guess I better recall that wandering scout and warrior ...

Also, just ran across a bandit enclave. Are there still unprotected tribal villages waiting to give me the bounty of their learning?

changing from Release to SVN will break save games yes. I personally prefer that people use the svn version because that helps me test the current build of the game, and i can react to feedback and fix bugs quickly, but it tends to be a bit more unstable.

There are still tribal Villages yes. The Bandit enclave you just found is one of several types of lairs you can find. Once you kill their defenders, you can explore them for loots ( but beware, dangerous things also lurk in the depths of those lairs).

I've been looking for some way to give back to the larger FFH world for a while; I have a rough month or so, but I can certainly help with Pedia entries after that, am comfy with XML, blahblah.

Also, any idea why Loki can't remain in a barbarian city to cast Disrupt? Here I thought they would be an easy convert, but he goes in, then is immediately kicked out again.

I've been looking for some way to give back to the larger FFH world for a while; I have a rough month or so, but I can certainly help with Pedia entries after that, am comfy with XML, blahblah.
To help with pedia entries, see here : https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/ashes-of-erebus-civilopedia-update-project.608283/ . If you wanna do more, i can certainly find some xml work that needs to be done ^^
Also, any idea why Loki can't remain in a barbarian city to cast Disrupt? Here I thought they would be an easy convert, but he goes in, then is immediately kicked out again.
Hmm, no idea, i'll check.

Top Bottom