Food or Faith Pantheon

Herocrafter

Chieftain
20210102010728_1.jpg
Marathon, Emperor, huge map 10 civs and 20 CS, Celts, planing to go wide and dominate. Its early on and I'm the first to found a Pantheon and I can't decide if I should go for faith and just wait for boarders to go over more salt, or take the extra food from wheat. The food though good, short term will press my happiness and on marathon for long time while one faith right away and more later is but a slow trickle that just may get me beneficial beliefs before others. Your thoughts and why.

View attachment 580009Marathon, Emperor, huge map 10 civs and 20 CS, Celts, planing to go wide and dominate. Its early on and I'm the first to found a Pantheon and I can't decide if I should go for faith and just wait for boarders to go over more salt, or take the extra food from wheat. The food though good, short term will press my happiness and on marathon for long time while one faith right away and more later is but a slow trickle that just may get me beneficial beliefs before others. Your thoughts and why.
Food if you think you can found a religion eventually and Faith if not. Honestly with 5 wheat I would take Sun God even if I miss the religion, I like high food so much.

Seconding food. You're the celts, you won't miss a religion.

I probably would have settled on the wheat to the right to get a +2 faith from their ability, but too late for that.

You guys are right. I settled on the food Pantheon and with all my current tiles at least having at least 1 hammer my production is good so far. I was able to get Pyramids for the 25 % worker speed, which on marathon is, I think a good deal. Yeah should have settled on the wheat. With the fog now removed I see that would have also gotten rid of my two coastal tiles. Still enjoying the game. Thanks to both for your insight!

Anytime I've got Faith generation from something other than a Pantheon, like the Celts do with their UA or with a Natural Faith Wonder, I strongly consider God King. With the Celts UA and GK, you are pretty likely to get a good religion, especially if you settle your first expo with Faith generation as a priority. God King will give you bonuses across the board that will carry you to early success.

You've got so many good tiles that growth isn't going to be an issue, although this is a good Sun God game. It's almost a case of too much of a good thing.

Last thought is that I would have settled the hill with the forest on it. That extra production makes a big difference all game and you wouldn't lose any good tiles.

I'd take Sun God. You get a free Hanging Gardens with five wheat. The extra food lets you make settlers faster and you can build shrines and stuff in those cities to get to a religion.

Top Bottom