Forbidden Palace and Domination - OP?

werothegreat

Warlord
Was just playing a multiplayer game with dhruvplayswithfire (check out his YouTube channel!), and while I racked up Ancient/Classical wonders, he took over his continent and used a GE to pop the Forbidden Palace. At this point, there were four players - the two of us, and the two AI on my continent. Before the Industrial era, because of the FP, he had four delegates against a total of three others, allowing him to pass whatever he wanted, starting with his World Religion, which gave him another two delegates. Also, given that he had steamrolled his AI buddies on his continent, he had been the only player gaining influence with the CS's on his continent, making it nigh impossible for them to be stolen away.

So - is the Forbidden palace kind of overpowered in smaller games, or games where most of the other players have been conquered? I can only imagine that a duel game would be a race to see who gets to Printing Press first, and then it's all over from there.

The larger question I'm asking is - is it necessary to conquer your neighbors in order to win? Am I a pansy for leaving my AI neighbors alive? Going on a rampage gives your units XP, getting them some pretty insane bonuses, such as Logistics and Range, means there are fewer competitors for CS's, and can also give you Wonders. From there, you can probably easily take over everyone else, given your much better army and probably larger empire.

Does this make Civ 5 just a war simulator with some other trappings tacked on?

On smaller games I can see it being overpowered but on standard maps it really only shines up until city state delegates start being allowed.

Pretty much that. The less civs are in the game the more powerful the FP is and viceversa.

Does this make Civ 5 just a war simulator with some other trappings tacked on?

Well that escalated quickly :crazyeye:

What a ludicrous assertion! I haven't won by domination yet in civ. I barely fight wars. They are one part of a much larger game and that is plain to see.

As for the forbidden palace, i think you answered your own question. But the game is balanced primarily for 8 players, so it's not overpowered per se.

Top Bottom