free promotion - formation

dalgo

Emperor
I'm unclear as to the mechanics of this promotion. If I put de Maisonneuve into Congress I should receive this free promotion for 'mounted units, melee units, gunpowder units'. If I create a new soldier then it does receive the valuable bonus '+25% v's mounted units' but if I create a new dragoon it does not. Why is there a difference between the two?

Formation is given to 'gunpowder' units, dragoons are 'mounted' units. Thus, dragoons do not recieve the formation promotion. Check the description on the FF page for masionneuve, I believe it says 'all gundpowder units recieve free formation promotion'

Yes, and a unit cannot have more than 1 type (mounted, gunpowder) so being one automatically disqualifies them as being the other. In this case any mounted units are NOT gunpowder units while mounted. Dismounting them turns them (back) into gunpowder units.

But a promoted Soldier would keep his gunpowder promotions when you make him a Dragoon, right?

Promotions that are only applicable to either a gunpowder or mounted unit become disabled while the colonist is configured for the alternative. They are not gone since they re-enable when you switch back to the original configuration. Hope this is clear enough, trying to avoid be excessively wordy in describing this but it is tough.

Top Bottom