French Win WWII

ScottieX

Warlord
I have always struggled to win the WWII scenario with the french, quickly running short of money and suffering periodic losses against the Axis. But experience from my neutral games gave me an idea that has turned out to be stunningly successful. So on to the story.
It was June 1940. France was militarily unprepared for the blitzkrieg that Germany unleashed and German troupes marched into Paris. With his capital gone and German troupes threatening the rest of mainland France Petain signed an armistice.

However while Hitler began to focus on the allies considering France to be defeated Petain prepared his country...

Petain realized that to defeat the axis he would need money and to get money he would need valuable trade routes from the middle east to America. so while transports set out immediately with frenchmen ready to set up trading posts in Cornwall (south west England) and America they also flooded east from Damascus and Beirut.

Airports were built and all the french cities focused on trading and setting up further trading post cities to build up monetary reserves. Soon France was strong enough to survive a skirmish with the axis where the axis took Strasbourg but then lost it back to the french and the french took this opportunity to steal some key technology. France was going for all out war with the axis but it was certainly not a puppet.

by 1943 the french were making more money than any other empire and researching technology much faster than any other country. As a result robotics was discovered before the allies and it was put to good use destroying the Turkish empire.

With Howitzers the french were now ready to do to the Germans what the Germans had done to them just 3 short years ago - french troupes stormed into Berlin splitting the axis empire in two. The french then captured as many cities as possible alternately at war with the Germans and the new zulu empire and trying to build up howitzers and engineers each turn as well as getting trade money.

Although some cities were recaptured by these two empires in the end the german empire collapsed and without support their partisans capitulated.

Meanwhile the french started a war with the Spanish. This war developed slowly due to the lack of focus for the french but cities still fell regularly until the Spanish were no more.

Around this time the French completed the great pan Eurasian highway that connected India via the middle east to europe via a vast number of small 'trading post' cities. This allowed troupes to come quickly to the aid of the french in crushing what was left of those two empires.

With the axis subdued the french turned to Russia who foolishly made war with the french on the very turn that their armies finished off the last few major Zulu cities. As a result veteran french howitzers poured towards Moscow supported by a flood of engineers, and the Russians shock in loosing Moscow resulted in the Russian empire was split in two (Egyptian and Russian).

The french continued to focus on developing technologies via their trade strategy, and as their armies cut deep into Russia they finally discovered how to build stealth fighters. suddenly jet fighters tore through the last resistance.

Meanwhile in the west the allies had landed a rather large force in France much to the dismay of Petain. Petain insisted that they withdraw the troupes and the allies to his surprise declared war. a skirmish resulted where the french drove the allies from Europe killing many of their attack units.

This weakened the allies just enough that a couple of months later the french armies were able to take the USA England and Egypt all in one turn thanks to the use of rockets in the north all the howitzers from Russia as well as more in Africa and the middle east and many transports and engineers and a few stealth fighters.

finish time December 1945.
all cities conquered, Deity, No Restarts etc.

I can send you the saved games....
If oyu were in auckland, NZ I'd demo it for you hehe

I don't find this doubtful at all. IIRC, various people have posted about winning with even the turks and the neutrals. I take it your strategy was to trade aggressively with N. America?

I don't find this doubtful at all. IIRC, various people have posted about winning with even the turks and the neutrals. I take it your strategy was to trade aggressively with N. America?

Yes that is the most important part of the strategy - you can get some fantastic trades going via the airports.

Nice story.
Ive played the WWII scenario a couple of times recently but not as French yet. My attempt as the Spanish went well, through trade, then taking France and Africa and stealing techs. However, I only started making real progress around the time the scenario ended and had only taken a few Axis cities.

Playing as Turks now and doing very well on Warlord difficulty but with mge evil AI diplomacy...

Was easy to take all of the middle east, including jerusalem, Tehran, and the two small Russian cities by the two seas. By sending a couple of tanks up that east sea under a ceasefire I was in position to take both of the large but city-wall-less cities at the north of that sea, basically swapping a ceasefire with Russia for a ceasefire with the Allies.

My plan is to gain a larger hold in Russia by picking off unprotected cities (no city walls), while building up an attack force to either take egypt, or send to spain/france (if the Allies make peace with me).

Its a fun game to play, although I doubt Ill make much of an impact on the Axis before my time runs out.

I can send you the saved games....
If oyu were in auckland, NZ I'd demo it for you hehe

i am ;)

Moderator Action: Merged two posts. Please don't make double posts

Playing as Turks now and doing very well on Warlord difficulty but with mge evil AI diplomacy...

Remember if you can get a city over next to Washington it will be worth tens of thousands of gold. AND you can use it to get techs. Also remember that the AI allies will some of the time tech computers - robotics and if they do that you want to trade for it or threaten them for it or whatever it takes.

Once you have robotics you just need transport chains or engineers to get them where they need to go fast :) otherwise bombers and rocketry from the axis are useful

cool !!

Top Bottom