Funny FFP screenshots

God-Emperor

Deity
Some mods have a thread with this title so...

Over in the Future releases: an idea thread I mention some stuff for a future release that results in colony ships that can at least cross radiation clouds, and possibly nebula. I have seens situations where this is necessary before, but have especially had this on my mind since my last test game, on a wormholes type map (which have no wrap), had a situation like so:
Spoiler :

That's a pretty big chunk of space with 3 star systems and several resources in it that are almost blocked off by nebula, only accessible via a chunk of radiation cloud 4 plots thick to its upper left. Not one of those pirate delta battleships will make it out to attack civilization since 4 * 25% damage = dead speed 1 ship. The current crop of omega destroyers can make it out with only 25% damage, the old deltas (and earlier) used to take 50%.

Those 3 star systems in there are pretty nice. A 7 planet system with wine, a 6 planet system with cattle, and another 6 planet system, like so:
Spoiler :

Currently, there is no way to settle them. Well, not without cheating like via the Worldbuilder.

If you found your starting system in such a situation you'd never be able to send a colony ship out of the area or get a trade route out of it either. Your only hope of colonizing the rest of the map would be to capture a star system from somebody - but you would not be able to get any speed 1 ship (like battleships or invasion ships until late in the game) out to do so. In that case, the upgraded engines would be an unusually good promotion. I eventually explored the area with a battleship with upgraded engines - it fought enough pirates back there that it ended up with the second engine upgrade too, which I took instead of another combat related promotion because there was a piece of wreckage that was even further isolated: it was in the little nook to the lower right of the area that is blocked off by the supernova, on the uppermost of the 3 asteroid plots, and requires a speed 3 ship to get past the damaging terrain without taking any damage (it had a pirate ship sitting on it, and was on an asteroid plot of course, so I did not want to risk my multiply promoted speed 2 battleship on an attack with it already having 75% damage from being in the supernova's damage area for a turn, thus the promotion to get it up to speed 3).

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0068.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0068.JPG
    191.1 KB · Views: 1,285
  • TrappedSystems.jpg
    TrappedSystems.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 1,141
Riding the battleship train to nowhere.

Spoiler :

Lukas von Reuther really wants to know what is past the supernova, so this time he has sent 2 battleships and a delta battleship to find out. Surely such a powerful force must get through...

To bad for him he didn't go for faster over stronger, since there are a minimum of 3 plots that do 75% damage each to get past and all 3 of his battleships are speed 1 ships.

I had just gotten back from sending my (speed 2) stealth ship past it only to find it to be a small cul-de-sac with nothing very interesting in it - it ends in more nebula just past the edge of the image.

It is possible that this map is even worse than the one in the previous post - the unknown area could hold enough territory to have a completely isolated star system or two in it since the nebula does extend almost all the way down to Astrotech territory. I hope to find out before the game ends. Sadly, the stealth ship was wiped out by a delta destroyer shortly after this image after it finished healing and moved to the south-west onto the resource which is, as it turns out, right next to a sensor station on the plot south of that. They took advantage of being able to see my ship and wiped it out on that turn. I still have a scout ship along the east edge of them map down in Astrotech territory coming back along some nebula running across the northern side of their territory - but 10 turns or so after this screenshot that bonehead declared war on me, so they might kill my scout ship too. Somewhere over there, the Forge has 2 star systems I have never seen.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0062.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0062.JPG
    142.5 KB · Views: 1,092
I was right. That map was worse than the first one.

Spoiler :

Talk about your "Isoloation Era" - his lasted the entire game. I have no idea how I even met the guy, but I did meet him. Maybe due to a squadron of his doing a recon mission, but it doesn't seem likely. He has met everyone by the end of the game. I never did get a scout close enough to be seen by his sensor station - I got one scout (a plain old speed 1 scout, either the original one I built or one of the two I got from wreckage) to where it could see the supernova outside his area and then it got killed by a pirate, just a few turns before the autosave the screenshot came from was made.

I don't remember ever seeing a map with a star system actually cut off completely by nebula, and here there are two that are cut off and one turned out to be a home system.

The previous map I got three systems in a semi-isloated situation. This time it is two that are completely isolated. I wonder what the next one will bring...

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0065.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0065.JPG
    191.8 KB · Views: 1,257
I've actually seen that 'totally isolated player' thing before, and the weird thing is? It was with the Forge too. I popped open the WorldBuilder to take a look behind an unusually large nebula field... lo and behold - one Forge colony and about a dozen Alpha Battleships patrolling his little niche.

Now I've gotten a map that turned out to have an isolated set of 3 systems where a player started (not me, luckily).

I go literally years without ever seeing one, and now I've gotten two with isolated players about a one month time span (although, admittedly, I often play with the original map scripts which makes maps that wrap and are therefore a lot less likely to have this problem). Plus the map with three uncolonizable systems - I've seen maps with one such system but I never gotten a map with more than one (that I noticed, anyway). Perhaps the map generator was getting bored.

Attachments

• IsolatedSystems.jpg
    IsolatedSystems.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 589
Now I've gotten a map that turned out to have an isolated set of 3 systems where a player started (not me, luckily).

I go literally years without ever seeing one, and now I've gotten two with isolated players about a one month time span (although, admittedly, I often play with the original map scripts which makes maps that wrap and are therefore a lot less likely to have this problem). Plus the map with three uncolonizable systems - I've seen maps with one such system but I never gotten a map with more than one (that I noticed, anyway). Perhaps the map generator was getting bored.
I'm so glad I modified the standard map to reduce the amount of Nebulae, Black Holes and Supernovas for the B5 mod, I've never had an isolated set of systems like this.

A Halian Battleship caught between a rock and a hard place:

Spoiler :

Or a Black Hole and a Radiation Cloud actually.

"That nebula is impermeable, set course around it!"
"This Radiation Cloud is negatively affecting our systems, get us out of here!"
"...Maybe we should have just stayed at home."

Attachments

• funny_11.jpg
    funny_11.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 702
Top Bottom