Gametext, XML, and Python Thread

Well I have already finished them. So I'll post them so you guys can discuss it (since I have a lot of work to do tonight, more on that in the Art thread though). Basically what I did was take four things into consideration:
  1. Does the civ have direct ethnic or cultural ties, or was the civ directly involved in the founding of the other civ.
  2. Do the histories of the civs intersect in such a way that they were once one, or were important to/caused the other civ's creation.
  3. Did either one of the civs own eachother.
  4. Finally, a simple cultural or aesthetic decision (i.e. similar city-styles, art, cultures etc.)

Now, in same instances you might disagree. There are certain civs (like Polynesia) who were difficult to determine, so I decided to just attach them to some SE Asian and MesoAmerican civilizations (simply for aesthetic purposes). I did something similar with the African civs. I am QUITE sure that this list is going to have to be edited, and that a lot of discussion will ensue. But we are nearing the end of the mod's development, so it is good that we do this. I also tried to keep at least three to four derivative civs just so we wouldn't get something like Vietnam spawning off the Viking Empire for example...

America
  1. England
  2. Iroquois
  3. Sioux

Arabia
  1. Persia
  2. Israel
  3. Turkey
  4. Babylon
  5. Sumeria
  6. Egypt

Aztecs
  1. Maya
  2. Inca
  3. Polynesia
  4. Sioux
  5. Iroquois

Babylon
  1. Sumeria
  2. Israel
  3. Persia
  4. Egypt
  5. Arabia

Byzantium
  1. Greece
  2. Rome
  3. Russia

Carthage
  1. Israel
  2. Spain
  3. Portugal

Celts
  1. England
  2. France
  3. Spain
  4. Portugal
  5. Rome

China
  1. Vietnam
  2. Korea
  3. Mongolia
  4. Khmer
  5. Japan

Egypt
  1. Israel
  2. Carthage
  3. Sumeria
  4. Arabia

England
  1. America
  2. Celts
  3. Vikings
  4. Rome

Ethiopia
  1. Israel
  2. Egypt
  3. Mali
  4. Zulu

France
  1. Franks
  2. Celts
  3. Germany
  4. America

Franks
  1. France
  2. Germany
  3. Celts
  4. Vikings
  5. Rome

Germany
  1. Franks
  2. Vikings
  3. France
  4. England
  5. Celts
  6. Spain

Greece
  1. Byzantium
  2. Rome
  3. Russia
  4. Carthage

Inca
  1. Aztec
  2. Maya
  3. Polynesia
  4. Sioux
  5. Iroquois

India
  1. Khmer
  2. Persia
  3. England
  4. Mongolia

Iroquois
  1. Sioux
  2. America
  3. France
  4. Aztec
  5. Maya
  6. Inca

Israel
  1. Arabia
  2. Carthage
  3. Babylon
  4. Sumeria
  5. Egypt
  6. England

Japan
  1. Korea
  2. China
  3. Polynesia
  4. Mongolia

Khmer
  1. Vietnam
  2. India
  3. Polynesia
  4. China

Korea
  1. Japan
  2. China
  3. Mongolia

Mali
  1. Arabia
  2. Ethiopia
  3. Zulu
  4. Carthage

Maya
  1. Aztec
  2. Inca
  3. Sioux
  4. Iroquois
  5. Polynesia

Mongolia
  1. China
  2. Turkey
  3. Korea
  4. Persia
  5. India
  6. Japan
  7. Russia

Netherlands
  1. Franks
  2. Germany
  3. England
  4. Spain
  5. Vikings
  6. France
  7. Celts

Persia
  1. Arabia
  2. Babylon
  3. Sumeria
  4. Israel
  5. Turkey
  6. India
  7. Greece

Polynesia
  1. America
  2. Khmer
  3. Vietnam
  4. Maya
  5. Aztec
  6. Inca
  7. England

Portugal
  1. Spain
  2. Celts
  3. Carthage
  4. Rome

Rome
  1. Byzantium
  2. Greece
  3. Celts
  4. Carthage
  5. Israel
  6. Egypt
  7. Franks

Russia
  1. Vikings
  2. Byzantium
  3. Mongolia
  4. Greece
  5. Germany

Sioux
  1. Iroquois
  2. America
  3. Atecs
  4. Maya
  5. Inca

Spain
  1. Portugal
  2. Carthage
  3. Rome
  4. Celts
  5. Germany
  6. Aztecs
  7. Netherlands

Sumeria
  1. Babylon
  2. Israel
  3. Persia
  4. Egypt

Turkey
  1. Mongolia
  2. Arabia
  3. Byzantium
  4. Greece

Vietnam
  1. China
  2. Khmer
  3. Polynesia

Vikings
  1. Germany
  2. Russia
  3. England
  4. Franks
  5. America

Zulu
  1. Ethiopia
  2. Mali
  3. Polynesia
  4. England
  5. Netherlands

The purpose of posting this is for discussion and criticism, so please feel free to let me have it. :goodjob:

I'd replace England with America on the Israel list, and give America Israel as a 4th. I'd also bump Arabia up higher on the Egypt list if it's in order of likelihood. Aside from that, looks pretty good.

I thought about both of those actually, but I went with England and Israel simply because England actually used to own Israel, America has never owned Israel. As for Egypt, the reason I chose to put Arabia lower on the list is because in this mod the Egyptians are the ancient Egyptians (the modern Egyptians, being Arab, are part of the Arabian Empire). The Arabs, at least in the modern sense, never really attacked ancient Egyptian civilization, it being conquered by the Greeks, and then the last vestiges of ancient Egyptian power (the Pharoah) was finally destroyed by the Romans. So to me the Arabs should be lower on the list.

That's my thought process at least, if anyone disagrees I'd be happy to hear their thoughts.

I thought about both of those actually, but I went with England and Israel simply because England actually used to own Israel, America has never owned Israel. As for Egypt, the reason I chose to put Arabia lower on the list is because in this mod the Egyptians are the ancient Egyptians (the modern Egyptians, being Arab, are part of the Arabian Empire). The Arabs, at least in the modern sense, never really attacked ancient Egyptian civilization, it being conquered by the Greeks, and then the last vestiges of ancient Egyptian power (the Pharoah) was finally destroyed by the Romans. So to me the Arabs should be lower on the list.

That's my thought process at least, if anyone disagrees I'd be happy to hear their thoughts.

Hmm, good points.
I do have two recommendations that I forgot to bring up, though: Polynesia should probably be under America due to Hawaii, Samoa, etc.
France should also get Polynesia, since they've owned (and still own French Polynesia) several Polynesian islands.

Good list. Of course, some are a bit far-fetched, but I understand you're trying to give everybody a good amount just so that, as you said, the Trung Sisters don't pop up from Vikingland.

Anyhow, my suggestions (only suggestions, of course):

- Byzantines: Give them Turkey (I'm assuming the Turks you have are the Ottomans)
- Celts: Give them the Franks also
- England: I think France could work for them, too
- France: England, likewise
- Korea: This is sort of far-fetched, but Vietnam might work for them; the Vietnamese and Koreans have had some relations with each other in the past, and, interestingly enough, a lot of the people in Korea with the last name "Rhee" are descended from a Vietnamese noble (and his family?) who fled there
- Portugal: I think they can have a few New World civs, like the Incas or Americans
- Vietnam: Korea, see above; sort of far-fetched, but could work

All I can think of. Just suggestions, again, and they don't need to be heeded. :D

Good list. Of course, some are a bit far-fetched, but I understand you're trying to give everybody a good amount just so that, as you said, the Trung Sisters don't pop up from Vikingland.

Anyhow, my suggestions (only suggestions, of course):

- Byzantines: Give them Turkey (I'm assuming the Turks you have are the Ottomans)
- Celts: Give them the Franks also
- England: I think France could work for them, too
- France: England, likewise
- Korea: This is sort of far-fetched, but Vietnam might work for them; the Vietnamese and Koreans have had some relations with each other in the past, and, interestingly enough, a lot of the people in Korea with the last name "Rhee" are descended from a Vietnamese noble (and his family?) who fled there
- Portugal: I think they can have a few New World civs, like the Incas or Americans
- Vietnam: Korea, see above; sort of far-fetched, but could work

All I can think of. Just suggestions, again, and they don't need to be heeded. :D

I agree with the points made under Byzantines/Turkey and Celts/France. So many do those two, and the Polynesia/France/Americas thing I suggested.

Korea and Vietnam... eh. I'd leave the two seperated. If anything, I'd connect Korea to Russia and France to Vietnam. Especially France/Vietnam, since we have HCM.

^That's true... How could I forget about my country's colonial oppressors! :mwaha:

The list seems fine to me too on the vanilla civs
One question though: Do you plan to update these lists (the xml file) with the module packs?
There are many-many better candidates among the add-on civs.
With those the list could and should be updated IMO...

I'd rather not change these with the module packs because I don't think it would work correctly with the way the module packs are set up. Each time you added or removed a civ you would have to edit the XML, which defeats the purpose of my module packs; they are built to be easy to plug and play.

Anyway, the reason I am posting here right now is because we are nearing the end of the mod's development, and the next playtest should be out in the next few days. I am going to need a couple of volunteers to help out with the XML/gametext. This includes typos/errors/misspellings in the civilopedia, gametext, and diplomacy text files. I know it is boring time-consuming work, but it would be extremely helpful if somebody could do this. I really want someone who is going to care about this to take up this job, because it is important and quite daunting. You will basically be the final editor for this, so I hope whoever volunteers realizes this.

Thanks in advance. :goodjob:

I'd rather not change these with the module packs because I don't think it would work correctly with the way the module packs are set up. Each time you added or removed a civ you would have to edit the XML, which defeats the purpose of my module packs; they are built to be easy to plug and play.

Anyway, the reason I am posting here right now is because we are nearing the end of the mod's development, and the next playtest should be out in the next few days. I am going to need a couple of volunteers to help out with the XML/gametext. This includes typos/errors/misspellings in the civilopedia, gametext, and diplomacy text files. I know it is boring time-consuming work, but it would be extremely helpful if somebody could do this. I really want someone who is going to care about this to take up this job, because it is important and quite daunting. You will basically be the final editor for this, so I hope whoever volunteers realizes this.

Thanks in advance. :goodjob:

I'll volunteer. Got plenty of free time.

I'm also here to help

Top Bottom