GEM + Custom Scenario - same location?

Vokarya

Deity
I'm trying to play on the GEM map with no preset civs in a Custom Scenario game. I've started four games so far and every time, I have started on the same tile in western Mexico.

This is what I am doing:
  • Start a Custom Scenario game.
  • Select the Giant Earth Map - no preset map.
  • Set the options I want and click Launch.

Is this deliberate or a bug that needs fixing?

Also, where are the default Custom Scenario settings stored? The changes I make are apparently not getting stored, and there's some weird defaults (only Conquest + Domination victory by default?)

I'm trying to play on the GEM map with no preset civs in a Custom Scenario game. I've started four games so far and every time, I have started on the same tile in western Mexico.

This is what I am doing:
  • Start a Custom Scenario game.
  • Select the Giant Earth Map - no preset map.
  • Set the options I want and click Launch.

Is this deliberate or a bug that needs fixing?

Also, where are the default Custom Scenario settings stored? The changes I make are apparently not getting stored, and there's some weird defaults (only Conquest + Domination victory by default?)

All default settings are listed in the .wbs file for the map/scenario. I'm not at home or I would look at the file for you. But to have true random starting locations each team needs to be set on randomstartlocation=1 (I believe).

All default settings are listed in the .wbs file for the map/scenario. I'm not at home or I would look at the file for you. But to have true random starting locations each team needs to be set on randomstartlocation=1 (I believe).

I don't see randomstartlocation in the save file. The only place where random shows up is randomize resources, and I'm setting that to True.

I see the default options when I open the file in Notepad2, and I think I can fix them that way. I've got all the victory conditions turned back on in the default settings so far.

Hum this would be easier if I was looking at the file :D

Well I know start locations on a scenario can never be completely random. Multiple plots can be defined as "starting plots" and the civs are randomly placed with in those set plots. Then I believe you want to leave the starting locations under each civ blank. I am a very visual person so I could be completely wrong. It comes to me much easier if I am messing with the file.

Hum this would be easier if I was looking at the file :D

Well I know start locations on a scenario can never be completely random. Multiple plots can be defined as "starting plots" and the civs are randomly placed with in those set plots. Then I believe you want to leave the starting locations under each civ blank. I am a very visual person so I could be completely wrong. It comes to me much easier if I am messing with the file.

OK, if you could take a look at the file for me and let me know, that would be great. I don't mind being restricted to a certain number of starting plots as long as it is more than a couple. As it stands, this is what I see for each team (using Team0 as an example):
Code:
BeginTeam
	TeamID=0
	ContactWithTeam=0
	RevealMap=0
EndTeam

and each player gets:
Code:
BeginPlayer
	Team=0
	LeaderType=NONE
	CivType=NONE
EndPlayer

and that's all for each team and player. After that is all the information for the plots.

I made all the changes I want to make, and now I am getting northern Canada starts instead of Mexico, so there is something going on, but I've never really had to look into maps that much.

Okay yeah that looks correct now that you show it to me. I don't usually play with anything random but it either is going to randomly place your civ on any plot or there are startingplots in the plots area. Do a search for me and see if they come up. Just do a search for starting or something

Okay yeah that looks correct now that you show it to me. I don't usually play with anything random but it either is going to randomly place your civ on any plot or there are startingplots in the plots area. Do a search for me and see if they come up. Just do a search for starting or something

I don't see start or starting anywhere for civilization locations. There are settings for the starting year and the points for an advanced start, as well as the Start as Minors turned on.

I've managed to get a few different starting locations, but so far all I have seen is New World locations (northern Canada, northern South America, far southern South America).

Hum okay like I said I'm not too experienced with random starts. Are you playing with the same civ every time?

No. Random civilization, random leaders (I have a phenomenal game going on right now with Qin Shi Huang of the French, starting in southern Illinois).

I've attached a copy of the WB save file that I tweaked so that the default options are the ones I always use. I wonder if that makes any difference? I didn't change anything after the default victory conditions (at line 36 on my version).

Top Bottom