GGTL: Viking DLC Review (now with haiku!)

cowkimon

Chieftain

I may just be blind, but seems like there's a serious lack of reviews for Civ DLC floating around these here internet waters. Maybe this Viking DLC review I churned out will start a trend.

Feel free to check it out.

Hope it helps tip the scales for anyone on the fence about whether or not to shell out the five bucks. As usual, I welcome any thoughts, musings, or disagreements you have, as long as you share them in haiku format.

Like so:

Viking packing list:
Ludafisk, longboats, mead horns.
England here we come

I spent the $7.50 for the combination, and it is well worth the money. The Vikings DLC is excellent. Definitely for war mongers with UUs right at the two warring sweet spots. Get the Heroic Epic up and running early, and proceed down the honor branch for boosts to military proficiency. Believe it or not, my first game with the DLC, I won without going to war once. It was a sub optimal use of the civ, but it still translated to a win.

I recommend both the DLC and map pack. Excellent investiments for CiV fanatics.

I liked this review, but it seems the difference between the scores for the Polynesian and Denmark DLCs were simply because the 1066 scenario was better than the Paradise Found one?

I don't think that the actual gameplay of the civs was discussed as much. Sure, you mention each of their bonuses and what makes them awesome, but hopefully we're not just reviewing civs based on how awesome each one is?

Still, nice effort. Some more descriptions of Harald Bluetooth's playstyle (when playing against him) would be nice. As would more descriptions of the visual and audio of each leader (I don't know about you, but that's one of the criteria that I use to decide if I'll be buying DLC or not).

Does this blanketing union of Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, and Iceland do justice to all five of those unique historical powers?

Sweden and Finland are not represented by the Danish civ at all. This may be deliberate on Firaxis' part to leave room for Sweden DLC at a later date, but Denmark only has cities that were at some point part of Denmark-Norway

Sweden and Finland are not represented by the Danish civ at all. This may be deliberate on Firaxis' part to leave room for Sweden DLC at a later date, but Denmark only has cities that were at some point part of Denmark-Norway

Good call, Sweden's out. As for Finland... I'm not too convinced that Firaxis didn't add the Ski Infantry simply as a way of covering that culture. Ski Infantry are used by a plethora of countries all over the world, including the 10th Mountain Division in the United States, but I imagine when most people think of them, their first thoughts are Finnish alpine troops warding off waves of Russians during the Winter War. The cities are definitely a good point, though.

On a more serious note - nobody's leaving their responses in haiku! This is unacceptable.

history haiku
makes the world go round and round
pineapple Lincoln

I forget haikus
I can't remember the count
Oh well, I give up.

Good call, Sweden's out. As for Finland... I'm not too convinced that Firaxis didn't add the Ski Infantry simply as a way of covering that culture. Ski Infantry are used by a plethora of countries all over the world, including the 10th Mountain Division in the United States, but I imagine when most people think of them, their first thoughts are Finnish alpine troops warding off waves of Russians during the Winter War. The cities are definitely a good point, though.

On a more serious note - nobody's leaving their responses in haiku! This is unacceptable.

history haiku
makes the world go round and round
pineapple Lincoln

Aren't the ski infantry specifically Norwegian ski infantry?

Aren't the ski infantry specifically Norwegian ski infantry?

They are ...but I'm still not quite buying it. To me, it's like giving the Nubians, Persians, Arabs, Cherokee, or other European nations unique Longbowmen. Sure, those cultures used Longbows, but when you first think of Longbowmen, you think of England, and the 100 Years' War. Given Firaxis' demonstrated willingness to blanket over similar cultures within one unique unit (Maori Warrior), I just don't think we'll be seeing a Finnish or Swedish ski infantry unit anytime soon, as Danish culture has already somewhat covered it (just as Polyesia somewhat covered the Maori).

That said, if they did decide to add Sweden or Finland into the game, giving either its own unique alpine troop unit (a la the soldiers of the Winter War for the latter), I'd be thrilled, and not overly surprised. I'm okay with Firaxis either blanketing several similar cultures into one lump of a nation or releasing dozens of individual nations that might have otherwise been lumped together. As long as Firaxis keeps bringing new cultures representing varied areas of the world to the Civ V table, I'll eat there.

building IKEA
which provides cheap furniture
makes your civ happy

Top Bottom