Git is ready

I'am not sure how i did it but i somehow managed to remove myself from the Caveman2Cosmos Github organisaton:confused::mad::lol:. Defenitely wasn't what i wanted to do but i can still work on C2C so it's not a problem:thumbsup:.
AHAHAHA I'm glad I requested for me and TB to be co-owner, I thought I might be being over cautious at the time :D
Anyway you are invited back as owner, check email!

@billw2015 @Thunderbrd @Toffer90 @JosEPh_II @raxo2222

I'am not sure how i did it but i somehow managed to remove myself from the Caveman2Cosmos Github organisaton:confused::mad::lol:. Defenitely wasn't what i wanted to do but i can still work on C2C so it's not a problem:thumbsup:.

You guys simply have to review my pull requests and approve and merge them if you think that my changes should be in C2C.
:eek: billw can put you back in I hope!

EDIT: Phew! Thanks billw2015!

Can GIT support a number of related products in a project? For example C2C the game and a modder's resources for making C2C the game. Possibly also supported modmods like animated leader heads which were dropped to keep the download small.

Just add your changes and commit them. Then every time you update again it will merge your changes with those from github, highlighting any conflicts.
that what I was lookin for. I like how it will track all my changes.
I was also gonna ask about this until I found the answer on git website:

Anyone with read permissions to a repository can create a pull request, but you must have write permissions to create a branch. If you want to create a new branch for your pull request and don't have write permissions to the repository, you can fork the repository first.

Yeah although you can definitely make local branches for your changes of course. I would recommend forking the repo if you want to keep your changes over the long term, e.g. when you get a new computer or whatever. With your own fork you can push your changes back to it and have them safe on github servers so you can get them back later, or on another computer or whatever.

The new build system looks really nice. It seems that every single new person struggles to get the compiler set up correctly, even people who have used compilers before. Anything, which makes this easier is a welcome addition. Also the fact that everybody can compile themselves makes the workflow easier as well. You don't have to consider build servers or anything like that for people who don't know how to compile themselves.

Studying how it works does leave me with one question though. What is Tools/deps.exe? It's not documented at all and no source code. It's rather big though, indicating that it could be some sort of self extracting zip file, but it would be nice to know for sure what it is.

Also would it be ok to copy deps.exe to We The People? (obviously with credits) Right now there is at least one person, who can't compile and needs me to send him compiled dll files. Needless to say that's not a good long term solution.

I run into a strange issue with the new build system. After a longer vacation I updated my forked repository and tried to run C2C but I always get an error that CvGameCore.DLL could not be build because of missing input file Git.obj, which should be located in the root directory of the install drive, where definitely never existed such a file.
View media item 5898There were no deinstallations or other changes, only necessary software updates were applied in between. I searched the last days around forums and web, but found no solution. I still can play only with an old DLL and numerous errors on startup and a high chance to corrupt my savegame.

I run into a strange issue with the new build system. After a longer vacation I updated my forked repository and tried to run C2C but I always get an error that CvGameCore.DLL could not be build because of missing input file Git.obj, which should be located in the root directory of the install drive, where definitely never existed such a file.
View media item 5898There were no deinstallations or other changes, only necessary software updates were applied in between. I searched the last days around forums and web, but found no solution. I still can play only with an old DLL and numerous errors on startup and a high chance to corrupt my savegame.
Reinstall your github installation completely - looks like those software updates broke it.

After several failed attempts, I finally got the installation up and running and identified the source of the error. There was a space in my installation folder name (P:\Git C2C). That is probably why the file P:\Git.obj was searched for, which actually does not exist. The release build works perfectly in a folder without spaces.
Since the issue did not occur until early January, there seems to be something wrong in one of the sources of the DLL.

There was a space in my installation folder name
This has been a known issue ever since filenames could contain spaces. The recommendation has always been to avoid spaces. Microsoft however decided to be different and placed everything inside "Program Files". I once had to use a program, which was developed in Germany (it was in English) and it didn't work if it was installed in the default location because "Program Files" in German is "Programme", hence the developers didn't realize that they didn't support spaces in the file path.

Since the issue did not occur until early January, there seems to be something wrong in one of the sources of the DLL.
Are you sure it's not you who moved from a German to English version of Windows, hence introduced the space in "Program Files"?

The makefile might be able to work around this problem and support spaces though. I thought it did, but maybe it's one of the C2C specific changes in the makefile. It is most certainly an issue for the makefile, not MSVC or C++.

@Nightinggale or any1
Python can get the correct path.
I'm wondering if sending the mod path to the dll from python would fix this or does the exe use the mod name path for stuff?
Or does the exe just send to the dll?

Are you sure it's not you who moved from a German to English version of Windows, hence introduced the space in "Program Files"?

Absolutely sure, only updates to Visual Studio and Git for Windows updates applied in between. Can a Git update cause this issue?

Top Bottom